The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I missed the start of the show, which means I have to wait like 20 minutes until we see another wideshot of the desk during the weather segment.

Edit: The right side of the anchor desk backdrop looks pretty much the same as before, but the left side is now a daytime cityscape during these daytime newscasts. I assume we'll also see a new 10pm one later?

The one thing that irks me with the two-shot is that the new daytime duratran doesn't blend well with the gray wall below it. You've got this bright daytime cityscape leading into a plain gray wall just below it. It looks a bit weird.

Also, when they showed the 3-shot with Jerry, it looks like they've added different decorative lighting to the area between the anchor desk and the weather center. I'm waiting to see a hopefully wider shot of it later.

I wonder if they also changed anything with the backgrounds in the sports and interview areas.

Something's bothering me about these changes. The weather center seems to have been ditched in favor of only using the green screen, which means, unless the screen's location has changed, the curtain is now pretty much always down. That effectively renders the gimmick of a streetside studio pointless.

Wide Shot:

wlsset2014_zpse246efc1.png

I don't know, but up until the last newscast before the remodel, they used the weather center for every early-show hit.

Well, I'm just gonna go with the theory that they're still working on remodeling the weather center as we speak and that they just wanted to get the main part of the set up and running ASAP. I can't picture them actually going without a weather center like some other stations have done.

It was pretty awkward during some of the tosses to the weather updates today. The anchors are so used to being able to toss to the weather center on the wideshot, but today they were forced to awkwardly vamp during their toss to Jerry as the camera remained only on the anchors until they finally switched over to the shot of Jerry at the key wall.

Those don't look like monitors or even RP. They barely look lit from behind at all (The pieces running along the top are casting shadows onto the image).

I'd be surprised to see that they change.

I can almost guarantee to you that the skyline is backlit. I'm away from my computer at the moment, so I'll explain why when I get home.

It was pretty awkward during some of the tosses to the weather updates today. The anchors are so used to being able to toss to the weather center on the wideshot, but today they were forced to awkwardly vamp during their toss to Jerry as the camera remained only on the anchors until they finally switched over to the shot of Jerry at the key wall.

They haven't used that shot in over a year.

And until I give my two cents...

53285497.jpg

They ditched the weather center? I thought they weren't showing it just because they were still working on that area. Did you walk by there and see that they completely removed it for good?

Weather Center should be up and running @ 10p. Work continues in the interview area.

Weather Center should be up and running @ 10p. Work continues in the interview area.

Yep, Jerry's back in the Weather Center now.

Edit: The new nighttime backdrop fits better with the rest of the set. I still think that the daytime one is just a little two bright for the gray walls above and below it and the dark blue set pieces to the left and right of it.

While I do like the softer lighting, overall, this is a wasted effort. New durans look like a small step above the ones at WFLD. It's unfortunate they decided to take a pass on doing something bigger and better to the set.

I'm not sure I like the lighting at the chromakey; it makes the meteorologist "pop" out of the screen way too much. The shadowing is also pretty bad, causing the image behind the meteorologist's arm to deteriorate badly. Did they fix it for the 10pm show? I noticed on the 4pm and 5pm shows and forgot to pay attention to it on the 10pm.

I'm not sure I like the lighting at the chromakey; it makes the meteorologist "pop" out of the screen way too much. The shadowing is also pretty bad, causing the image behind the meteorologist's arm to deteriorate badly. Did they fix it for the 10pm show? I noticed on the 4pm and 5pm shows and forgot to pay attention to it on the 10pm.

I just looked at the forecast on their website, it's still fuzzy under his right arm. At first I couldn't see it against the county map but once he put his arm over the light green flood advisory icons it was glaringly obvious. Looks like it needs a few more tweaks.

Edit:

That was the 6pm version, they didn't upload the fun with clickers forecast.

So, funny story. Jerry did the whole weather report tonight without that damned clicker. I haven't a clue how, unless he set up all the animations and actually timed it ahead of time, which seems to me to be a risky move.

Hosea's in for Alan today on the 4 o'clock news. Last time I saw him do this broadcast was like 5 or 6 years ago. With how much Judy Hsu has filled in for Linda in the last 4 months, I wonder if this will be a regular thing, perhaps all in the name of giving Terrell and Tanja enough air time. They were both on this morning, with Phil in for Tracy and Diane Pathieu in for Roz.

Hosea's in for Alan today on the 4 o'clock news. Last time I saw him do this broadcast was like 5 or 6 years ago. With how much Judy Hsu has filled in for Linda in the last 4 months, I wonder if this will be a regular thing, perhaps all in the name of giving Terrell and Tanja enough air time. They were both on this morning, with Phil in for Tracy and Diane Pathieu in for Roz.

That's pretty different. Maybe they will be changing out the morning show soon? It's good they are getting air time but it also seems like they get lots of it.