The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Ron is 70 and is gonna retire sooner than later, Alan succeeds Ron. Tell the powers that be that Ron is untouchable... as much as I like the guy (and that is a lot), he doesn't have too long to go, the same goes for Jerry Taft and Linda. Theresa Gutierrez and Paul Meincke aren't gonna be far behind. Everybody but Mark Giangreco and Jim Rose are still under 60. But there will be some major upheavals in the next 2-3 years. We haven't seen anything yet.

Ron will be there until HE decides to leave. There is no way he is pushed, asked, etc.. to retire. Jerry doesn't appear to be in the best of health, so it would make sense to retire soon. In some sense, the same can be said of Linda.

Ron will be there until HE decides to leave. There is no way he is pushed, asked, etc.. to retire. Jerry doesn't appear to be in the best of health, so it would make sense to retire soon. In some sense, the same can be said of Linda.

Right, but that isn't my point. You are the one talking about pushing and asking. My point was that the man is 69 not 39... you do the math and tell me if he will be there another 5 or 6 years or not. The odds say he will not be 75 or 76 and still anchoring. Health and age become factors (see about the powers that be below). Linda looks fine, she broke her leg... not a big deal. Jerry is getting up there and I do worry about his health from time to time.

The powers that be I mentioned in the post you quoted were not the bosses at WLS. You read into that who or more like what they might be. It went right over your head the first time.

Right, but that isn't my point. You are the one talking about pushing and asking. My point was that the man is 69 not 39... you do the math and tell me if he will be there another 5 or 6 years or not. The odds say he will not be 75 or 76 and still anchoring. Linda looks fine, she broke her leg... not a big deal. Jerry is getting up there and I do worry about his health from time to time.

No kidding, Jerry just admitted to recently quitting smoking the other night. Mark then quipped that he's instead now huffing paint. Ron quickly tried to move on before anyone got in trouble. Cheryl then said something silly/awkward and everyone rolled their eyes. The 5 o'clock news in a nutshell. :D

For perspective, John Drury was 75 and Joel Daly was 71 when they hung it up. Both did have underlying health issues, but nothing serious at the time. Drury, however, was diagnosed with ALS within the year. If Ron stays healthy (he openly admits to abusing drugs and alcohol, but has been clean for 30 years), he COULD last 10 years, but I don't see it happening.

No kidding, Jerry just admitted to recently quitting smoking the other night. Mark then quipped that he's instead now huffing paint. Ron quickly tried to move on before anyone got in trouble. Cheryl then said something silly/awkward and everyone rolled their eyes. The 5 o'clock news in a nutshell. :D

For perspective, John Drury was 75 and Joel Daly was 71 when they hung it up. Both did have underlying health issues, but nothing serious at the time. Drury, however, was diagnosed with ALS within the year. If Ron stays healthy (he openly admits to abusing drugs and alcohol, but has been clean for 30 years), he COULD last 10 years, but I don't see it happening.

More of that wonderful chemistry we were talking about with Cheryl? :lol: She sounds like a 5th wheel. Ron is cool, I wish he could stay another 20 but I don't want the man to run himself into the ground doing it either. It's one of those things that happens every 10-15 years that a stations talent ages out. Ron joined in 200? from WMAQ didn't he? When these guys are gone the next aging out will be 2022 or something like that so not a lot of turnover but they are popular people.

More of that wonderful chemistry we were talking about with Cheryl? :lol: She sounds like a 5th wheel. Ron is cool, I wish he could stay another 20 but I don't want the man to run himself into the ground doing it either. It's one of those things that happens every 10-15 years that a stations talent ages out. Ron joined in 05 didn't he?

No, he joined from WMAQ early in '98. Floyd Kalber retired from the 6pm, Alan moved there from the 5pm, and Ron filled that spot. He then added the 10pm in 2002. Diann Burns left/was canned in '03, at which point Cheryl moved from weekends, and Kathy added the 10pm in addition to the 6pm where she'd been since '93. The current 10pm team has been in place for 11 years, longer than any other in the station's history, and possibly in town. The only lead team that might beat it would be Kurtis, Jacobson, Coughlin and Morris on WBBM in the 70s/80s.

FYI, if anyone ever has any tenure questions, I know the numbers way too well...one of those useless info things that I've got stored in the brain.

No, he joined from WMAQ early in '98. Floyd Kalber retired from the 6pm, Alan moved there from the 5pm, and Ron filled that spot. He then added the 10pm in 2002. Diann Burns left/was canned in '03, at which point Cheryl moved from weekends, and Kathy added the 10pm in addition to the 6pm where she'd been since '93. The current 10pm team has been in place for 11 years, longer than any other in the station's history, and possibly in town. The only lead team that might beat it would be Kurtis, Jacobson, Coughlin and Morris on WBBM in the 70s/80s.

FYI, if anyone ever has any tenure questions, I know the numbers way too well...one of those useless info things that I've got stored in the brain.

I should get an abbacus and a spreadsheet and start writing this stuff down (I already have too many Detroit numbers and other useless numbers in my brain and they are beginning to run together). Are you talking WLS tenure or Chicago News in general tenures? I might need some help on a few whenever I find time to make a chart. Lots of them are listed in bios though.

I should get an abbacus and a spreadsheet and start writing this stuff down

Been there, done that. :)

Are you talking WLS tenure or Chicago News in general tenures? I might need some help on a few whenever I find time to make a chart. Lots of them are listed in bios though.

Mostly WLS, but I know a lot about the others if you have any questions.

Right, but that isn't my point. You are the one talking about pushing and asking. My point was that the man is 69 not 39... you do the math and tell me if he will be there another 5 or 6 years or not. The odds say he will not be 75 or 76 and still anchoring. Health and age become factors (see about the powers that be below). Linda looks fine, she broke her leg... not a big deal. Jerry is getting up there and I do worry about his health from time to time.

The powers that be I mentioned in the post you quoted were not the bosses at WLS. You read into that who or more like what they might be. It went right over your head the first time.

No need to get bent out of shape over this. Age isn't really an issue given that with decent enough health and a relatively light workload, people can do their job beyond the age of 70. For example, WBBM's Harry Porterfield is 85 and still anchors/reports five days a week. Finally, with the recent executive changes at Disney/ABC, forgive me if I don't take too much stock in the imaginary 'powers that be' you are referring to.

No need to get bent out of shape over this. Age isn't really an issue given that with decent enough health and a relatively light workload, people can do their job beyond the age of 70. For example, WBBM's Harry Porterfield is 85 and still anchors/reports five days a week. Finally, with the recent executive changes at Disney/ABC, forgive me if I don't take too much stock in the imaginary 'powers that be' you are referring to.

Not bent out of shape at all, amused is more like it. You didn't look high enough: The imaginary powers that be are the grim reaper and god, we can argue about the latter, the former is a when not an if. I was trying to make a tongue in cheek joke with that about longevity or something but it didn't resonate like I thought it would. I'll have to try to get better writers.

Anyway Harry Porterfield is incredible, most people don't even make it to 85 let alone function that well. That's a very unique situation there. I suppose it all depends on if Ron wants to take it easy or not. Somehow I think they will be sold before Ron leaves but who knows. I'm glad to have the guy around, he livens it up a bit. I just wish he was younger so he would be around longer.

If the team gets deconstructed/canned.

Besides Roz it already has, so I imagine it wouldn't be awkward at all. She is the only original member from 25 years ago. Besides I think they would do a 30 and not 26th anniversary, but It really makes no difference who says "look our anniversary"! Over the prompter. The beat will go on, non awkwardly.

Actually, I don't know that anyone's ever technically been fired from the show. I'm not sure what the circumstances were that led to Leah Hope leaving the desk in 2001, and I'm pretty sure Lauren Cohn left on her own in 1997. Other than that, there's been very little turnover. Krashesky, Brock and Taft all were promoted, and Mike and Tracy merely switched roles after only a year in their original roles, so I can't see where there'd be any bad blood in the past. Time will tell, I guess.

So I'm watching ABC 7 Eyewitness News at 10PM :rolleyes: right now in standard def and it's in letterbox. I hate letterbox! Yes, some parts were cut off a little before - ever since the new graphics (i.e. the lower thirds, the over-the-shoulder), but I'd rather put up with that than this. Or how 'bout this for a revolutionary idea: just mind the safe zone and things wouldn't get cut off and then you wouldn't resort to letterboxing). Is this just the news or is Channel 7 just broadcasting in letterbox now period, a la Fox 32? :mad: Oh crap, I think they ARE because the commercials are too. CRAP

So I'm watching ABC 7 Eyewitness News at 10PM :rolleyes: right now in standard def and it's in letterbox. I hate letterbox! Yes, some parts were cut off a little before - ever since the new graphics (i.e. the lower thirds, the over-the-shoulder), but I'd rather put up with that than this. Or how 'bout this for a revolutionary idea: just mind the safe zone and things wouldn't get cut off and then you wouldn't resort to letterboxing). Is this just the news or is Channel 7 just broadcasting in letterbox now period, a la Fox 32? :mad: Oh crap, I think they ARE because the commercials are too. CRAP

Wait, how are you watching? (Just to be clear)...

1. Antenna
  2. SD cable

I have U-Verse, and nothing is different. I wonder if ABC is working towards this on a network level, at least at the owned stations. Remember the whole discussion about WABC's framing lately?

24994J, nothing's happening when I press the "Quote" button under your response, so to answer your Q's...

SD Cable. I have Comcast. That's weird that it would vary by cable and/or satellite provider. All I know is Channel 7 is now in letterbox on all 4 of my TVs, including my only HDTV if I put on regular SD Channel 7.

As for the recent discussion about WABC's framing you mentioned, I missed that. I tried to find it on here, but only came across a few posts in the Station General Discussion Threads in the New York News forum that were talking about it. Can you link me to it?

It's time for everyone to stop caring about 4:3 and to just give 4:3 viewers a letterboxed feed. 16:9 has been the standard for 8 years at this point, and networks shouldn't have to keep designing all of their graphics and framing their shots with 4:3 in mind. It's time to utilize the full 16:9 frame on everything.

As for the recent discussion about WABC's framing you mentioned, I missed that. I tried to find it on here, but only came across a few posts in the Station General Discussion Threads in the New York News forum that were talking about it. Can you link me to it?

It's mentioned a few times on this page and the top of the next one... http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/11715-wabc-7-eyewitness-news/?p=106272

And here's an example of the framing...

LizCho4314.jpg

It's time for everyone to stop caring about 4:3 and to just give 4:3 viewers a letterboxed feed. 16:9 has been the standard for 8 years at this point, and networks shouldn't have to keep designing all of their graphics and framing their shots with 4:3 in mind. It's time to utilize the full 16:9 frame on everything.

Why does this have to be a "thing"? HD Viewers aren't missing anything. Letterbox is a drag to watch because everything is smaller.