The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

• 2 weeks later...

It's time for the annual tradition of Ron Magers anchoring the two Black Friday newscasts solo and standing in a bunch of different places every segment. He started out the newscast standing outside with the people on State Street. Let's see where he goes next!

The Thanksgiving 10PM led it off last night, and he certainly stepped up his game from last year. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ron's delivery, personality and overall charm makes him Chicago's Jim Gardner. Did you see the photo album from the station's Facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152051873236162.1073741975.165583971161&type=1

#WheresRon?

• 2 weeks later...

So, this is interesting...

http://www.robertfeder.com/2013/12/16/changing-weather-front-at-abc-7/

At first glance, it seems kinda silly, just another research study and stupid corporate tactic, but it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. How many stations, anywhere or anytime ever have been in this kind of situation? Three meteorologists, virtually equals in age, experience, and tenure, all with the qualifications to lead a station's weather team. If there's some level of numbers and stats backing a future plan, all three might be more likely to stay with the understanding that the chief spot was on the table for anyone.

So, this is interesting...

http://www.robertfeder.com/2013/12/16/changing-weather-front-at-abc-7/

At first glance, it seems kinda silly, just another research study and stupid corporate tactic, but it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. How many stations, anywhere or anytime ever have been in this kind of situation? Three meteorologists, virtually equals in age, experience, and tenure, all with the qualifications to lead a station's weather team. If there's some level of numbers and stats backing a future plan, all three might be more likely to stay with the understanding that the chief spot was on the table for anyone.

So it seems they're looking into adding some new, younger faces to the weather team. In all honesty, this has been long overdue. Somewhat cold-blooded to single out Jerry and Tracy for elimination however.

So it seems they're looking into adding some new, younger faces to the weather team. In all honesty, this has been long overdue. Somewhat cold-blooded to single out Jerry and Tracy for elimination however.

I personally like Tracy. I would like to see (in my ideal world) Tracy stays AM and 11am updates, Phil takes all evening newscasts, Mike does weekend evenings and Troy does weekend mornings. Will this happen, absolutely not.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike take over 5, 6 and 10, Phil takes the 4 and Tracy stays AM, Troy does weekend mornings or evenings and they get someone for opposite weekend newscasts.

Also wouldn't be surprised if WLS got some kind of time warning that Jerry plans on retiring and they are figuring out how to replace him before he does.

I really don't see it as more "singled out for elimination" as "who do you like more." I would be offended if I were Mike Kaplan.

I don't think that question about Tracy is necessarily singling her out. It's merely one of the questions the unnamed source relayed. That query could be seen from two angles: if she wasn't on the morning show because she was promoted, or if she was fired. Frankly, it doesn't make much sense to bring in new blood just yet. Once Jerry retires, whether nudged or on his own, they could hire Troy full-time, give him some sort of larger role, and just stretch the other 3 to fill the gap. That way, the payroll is significantly smaller, and they develop Troy for the future. Really, I think the top spot is Mike's to lose, but this study could conclude otherwise.

I like the idea of bringing Phil to weekdays, and I think making him, Tracy and Mike (sorta) equals would be a good idea. They'd all be fair game to fill in for each other, regardless of seniority and time slot. Why couldn't all three be made the face of the franchise. None of them are Jerry, so why even try to single out one? Some scenarios...

• Tracy in the morning and 11, Phil and Mike each get two evening shows (however management decides)
  • Tracy in the morning, Phil at 11 & 4 or 5, Mike gets the remaining three shows
  • Switch Tracy and Phil in the above two examples
  • If they want to keep a 5-person team, promote Troy to Phil's weekend roles, and hire an even-fresher face for weekend mornings (ideally, a female minority, if the commentators on Feder's page get their way)

At this point, this is all more than speculative, and I think the hope is that preparing now may help things run more smoothly later.

I really don't see it as more "singled out for elimination" as "who do you like more." I would be offended if I were Mike Kaplan.

That could be it (who do you like?...), but I'm not so sure. Feder indicated that the 'If .... were no longer one of the weathercasters on ABC 7 News ' question was asked about Jerry and Tracy. If the same question were asked about Mike and Phil, I believe that Feder would have suggested as such. I could be reading too much into it, but I don't see this study as a positive thing, but more as a way to push people out and free up some cash.

If I had to guess, Mike takes over as Chief @ 5p and 10p with Phil handling weekday mornings. They could then bring in two new people (both in their mid/late 30s) for 4p/6p shift on weekdays and 5p/10p weekend shift. With Troy in the mix, they would have three people who will be the next generation of weathercasters @ WLS.

With regards to those saying that the questions state if the person was no longer at WLS, the question about Tracy actually says if she was no longer at WLS from 4:30am-7am, so that doesn't imply that she would be gone all together, but rather if she were gone from the mornings.

Also, if Jerry leaves, the simple solution is Tracy stays in the am and at 11am WCL, and picks up 12noon; Mike drops the Noon, keeps the 4pm and adds 5pm, 6pm, 10pm; Troy does all weekend mornings; Phil just keeps weekend evenings. To keep Phil happy, maybe give him a special segment during the week on the 4pm (Backyard BBQ in people's back yards during summer, Christmas Lights at people's houses during the winter).

No way Mike goes to weekends. That would be a demotion. And it seems pointless to let Jerry go and hire someone new (although new persons salary would be much less). I don't think a station needs more than four weather people.

No way Mike goes to weekends. That would be a demotion. And it seems pointless to let Jerry go and hire someone new (although new persons salary would be much less). I don't think a station needs more than four weather people.

Yeah, Mike left weekends a decade ago, and Tracy (while only there for a few months) left weekends 20 years ago. Neither will go back.

If WMAQ didn't have 5 and WGN didn't have 5(/6) weather people, WLS might consider only 4. Besides, Troy is currently only part-time, so he'll only be seen on weekend mornings for now. I realize he had his teaching career, but Mark Bishop NEVER appeared on a weekday, and it took him a few years to start popping up in place of Phil in the evenings. They still promote the team as only 4, with Tracy, Mike and Jerry coming in to fill-in for Phil's late shows, not Troy.

From what I've read in regards to the talent shake-ups pending at the ol' 7, I'd have to say I'm curiously excited. From a day-to-day basis, you don't realize just how stagnant the station REALLY has become. Then you look back at all the shake-ups that are due, and you think "Holy shit! THIS will be kinda cool!"

Whatever they (permanently) decide, I have complete confidence that 7's decisions will make sense, and do nothing but move the station forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw a typo on the school closing ticker saying "COOL" County. They might as well call it COLD County instead. :p

The word "Cold" is just an understatement of what is about to happen in the midwest region. I don't think I remember a time, (maybe January 2009 when the mercury hit around -10°). But this is a generational weather event, just like the Heat Wave of 2012, or that Groundhog Day Blizzard in 2011.

Because of this cold, the station will start the morning news at 4am. And it will pre-empt WCL for a special 11am news.

So, Troy made his weekday debut with Tracy this morning, and she's still on with Mike at now at 4. Jerry is apparently off, as well, so the promo for the 5 has her showing up there, as well. She's apparently been in since 3am.

My cynicism makes me wonder if she's pulling for that promotion? (sarcasm)

So, Troy made his weekday debut with Tracy this morning, and she's still on with Mike at now at 4. Jerry is apparently off, as well, so the promo for the 5 has her showing up there, as well. She's apparently been in since 3am.

My cynicism makes me wonder if she's pulling for that promotion? (sarcasm)

Why was she there that long? We all knew it was going to be really cold today and tomorrow, so what was the point of having two people on more than one newscast basically telling you it's cold outside. Seems unnecessary.