The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

A few things...

- Here's a new one. Tracy did the weather from 4:30 through GMA, but Phil pulled the duties at 11, Noon and 4. She probably had a prior commitment and whatnot, but I kinda like the idea of a midday weather anchor.

- I didn't see it live, but today's '72GO' was posted on the website in the style of the main newscasts. The time/temp was used for the first time, and video was uploaded in segments, not as a whole webcast.

- Bill Ratner's still doin' VOs, including today's 5pm promo. I'm really beginning to think his presence is more than temporary.

Wanted to pipe something in here that may be of interest. There's a name I think we all should consider now.

Issac Perlmutter.

Who is he, you ask, and why is he important?

Because he's the president of Disney's most important division right now, Marvel Entertainment.

...and more importantly, since Steve Jobs' passing, Disney's #1 individual shareholder.

Perlmutter's Marvel is run quickly and efficiently, with not an expense spared. If you order a paper clip too many, you will have him screaming on Line Two.

I'm certain this 10% reduction was "recommended" by Ike...

Wanted to pipe something in here that may be of interest. There's a name I think we all should consider now.

Issac Perlmutter.

Who is he, you ask, and why is he important?

Because he's the president of Disney's most important division right now, Marvel Entertainment.

...and more importantly, since Steve Jobs' passing, Disney's #1 individual shareholder.

Perlmutter's Marvel is run quickly and efficiently, with not an expense spared. If you order a paper clip too many, you will have him screaming on Line Two.

I'm certain this 10% reduction was "recommended" by Ike...

With a name like that, are we sure he isn't a Marvel villain?

With a name like that, are we sure he isn't a Marvel villain?

We're sure. He's not a Marvel villain. Actually, he kind of saved the company from some real nasty villains - rampaging shareholders - and took it out of bankruptcy.

CBS News reporter Dan Raviv wrote the actual book on Marvel's woes, Comic Wars: Marvel's Battle For Survival. It's finally made its way to Kindle and I'm about to dig in, but it's a very business-heavy book as far as I know.

Probably much more accessible is this unofficial history of Marvel that covers everything, albeit not in much detail. I highly recommend it, especially when you consider that certain fly-by-night companies were trying to turn Marvel "into the next Disney".

A few things...

- Here's a new one. Tracy did the weather from 4:30 through GMA, but Phil pulled the duties at 11, Noon and 4. She probably had a prior commitment and whatnot, but I kinda like the idea of a midday weather anchor.

- I didn't see it live, but today's '72GO' was posted on the website in the style of the main newscasts. The time/temp was used for the first time, and video was uploaded in segments, not as a whole webcast.

- Bill Ratner's still doin' VOs, including today's 5pm promo. I'm really beginning to think his presence is more than temporary.

It ain't the first time that happen where Tracy did the AM and not do the 11am on the same day. If Mike was there, he would've probably filled in for the 11am, and then do the noon & 4pm shows later. And it's nothing new that Phil would fill-in for Mike at 4pm on Mondays. If Mike is gone this week, most likely that Jerry would probably fill-in at 4 for the rest of the week.

Because of that rail incident, they also stream the first five minute of the WCL 11am segment for the first time also. But I assume this won't happen tomorrow.

And throughout this month, many of the old Roger Thompson's recordings were replaced by new recordings by Roger Rose. Case in point, those Close-Captioning and sponsering plugs. I even heard a new "joined-in-progress" plug. And that replaces an old Roger Thompson recording from 1997. Instead of "This is Channel 7, WLS-TV...." Rose says "This is WLS-TV, Channel 7 in Chicago....". I heard it on one of the Saturday's late news rebroadcast, which on some weeks were they run over from that College Football game, they show it Joined-in-progress, instead of in is entiety.

Ratner also voiced that new "I-Team" spot as well. I wouldn't mind hearing Ratner's voice on the openings (in lieu of Rose's), should it ever be the case. But even though it's been 4 years, it's still not the same without Ron Rolland's VOs.

Not that it matters, but...

- Monday was Tracy at 4:30, Phil at 11, 12 and 4, Jerry from 5 on.

- Tuesday was the traditional Phil in for Tracy schedule.

- Today was Tracy at 4:30, Mike at 11, 12 and 4, Jerry at 5.

On another note, I think I just saw the one of the longest closes ever on ABC7. From the moment the anchors stopped talking, the full close on tonight's 6 o'clock show was one minute, thirty nine seconds. The music played in all for about 2 minutes, and the last 1:03 was completely uninterrupted after the WatchABC promo played. They even showed live shots of the city after only a few seconds. There wasn't a break where they started the them over or anything glitchy, either.

It was absolute perfection.

On another note, I think I just saw the one of the longest closes ever on ABC7. From the moment the anchors stopped talking, the full close on tonight's 6 o'clock show was one minute, thirty nine seconds. The music played in all for about 2 minutes, and the last 1:03 was completely uninterrupted after the WatchABC promo played. They even showed live shots of the city after only a few seconds. There wasn't a break where they started the them over or anything glitchy, either.

It was absolute perfection.

Well this wasn't the first time they played theme in almost in its entirety. This

courtesy of ctmajka from February 25 of last year, on a Saturday Night. And they basically showed on shot of the people who were waving outside the studio. And on that night, they did play any closing online/social media/online app plugs, whatsoever. I think its been maybe one other occasion this summer on the end of the 6pm where they played nearly this length, maybe shave off a few seconds. There's been some instances where they started playing that full close from the beginning, but would end abruptly to show the closed-captioning plug. And prior to Katie Couric's talk show last year, on the final 4pm tease during the closing credits on Jeopardy, that cue that was played, was the beginning of the full closing theme song. Here's that
. On rare occasions (and most of these times it would happen at now-defunct 11am news) that they would play a part of full closing and then they would switch over to the 30 second close (I hate when they do that). But I've never seen them play the full close from start to finish with no announcing plugs.

But I strong agree of what you stated. Nothing but perfection.

Okay, I haven't been a big fan of the new 7-day graphic, but oh, this is a boatload of sexy...

1381992_587871817940799_2115272316_n.jpg

It has some nice aspects, but A. The ABC logo needs to be updated to the new version and B. The Background needs to be replaced with a lake in order for the reflection to work effectively.

The new graphics isn't going to come any quicker, while folks are crying for them. If the new graphics comes, it'll come.

I just don't like those graphic pop-ups at the start of every news story, "Breaking News", "Developing Story", "New at 10" etc, etc. To me that's an overkill, and it's not all that necessary. Example Breaking News. Prior to that, a breaking news graphics would only be a simple OTS graphic. It also use to be an old full screen graphic in a blue bkg that states breaking news, that would only be used after the news opening, not the strong red bkg color they use now with a swoosh SFX. And they use that, even when its not really all that breaking.

I said before, I don't care if it did get new graphics. But I don't care if it doesn't change. Yes, their design has been around since June 3, 2005, but it still looks good today if you ask me.

Just don't mess with that other element!!! :mad:

I wonder why he is just doing Saturday Mornings?

I wonder why he is just doing Saturday Mornings?

Because Mark Bishop only did Saturday mornings. Frankly, Troy should do both weekend mornings, but Phil's been doing the Sunday morning show for its entire existence, and they may just want to keep it that way.

So this is where Troy Christensen landed. He recently left his role as a weekend meteorologist at KFOR-TV a couple of months ago.

Holy frick, they finally added the new logo to the weather graphics. Everything's virtually the same, but the main upper thirds (?) are now left-alligned but maintain a similar style. I'd get an image and all that, but their live video page is "not found", so you'll all just have to believe me.

afcd2745-a91f-4aec-9867-500e509e7617_zpsdb734f56.jpg

113ed18c-aaf0-4123-a1e9-83b019d42b9f_zps83c75fe5.jpg

But that damn '98 sonuvabitch won't go away...

6b38d64e-1271-44f7-8fb5-f9d37f3bcd58_zpscdfc5406.jpg

But that damn '98 sonuvabitch won't go away...

Ah Lord. It's just a logo. They probably didn't change it prior to making that recent sudden graphic change. And I saw the 5pm & 6pm weather segments and they were a couple of instances where the '98 logo was still shown.

If they never changed to the 2007 design last July (on the newscasts last year on October 1), they probably would've still been using the '98 design now. So even if you think they're finally showing consistency using the new logo, you're always going to see instance where the old logo(s) surfaces. Case in point, the CC plug on the end, where the 2007 design is still being used, and we probably going to still see a '98 design, hear and there.

Anywho, it looks very weird having that graph on the opposite side. But since they'd changed the 7-day, many of them would have to move from one side to the next. But then you would have to wonder if they would've made that new 7-day graph made the opposite way, they wouldn't have it where they have to stand on the other side.

Ah Lord. It's just a logo. They probably didn't change it prior to making that recent sudden graphic change. And I saw the 5pm & 6pm weather segments and they were a couple of instances where the '98 logo was still shown.

If they never changed to the 2007 design last July (on the newscasts last year on October 1), they probably would've still been using the '98 design now. So even if you think they're finally showing consistency using the new logo, you're always going to see instance where the old logo(s) surfaces. Case in point, the CC plug on the end, where the 2007 design is still being used, and we probably going to still see a '98 design, hear and there.

[intended sarcasm]

Now why did you had to bring that up?!!! What does that have to do with the logo? All because I said "It's Just A Logo"? I don't care about which variant they use. I don't think it has anything to do with that "other" element.

Seriously, lighten up. I'm just kidding.