The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I can't believe I missed it. I'm happy the NS2k+ afternoon bumper is being used in some capacity, since you'll probably never hear it OTA again, since the 11am show is gone. The web briefs have been around for a good minute, and it seems that this newly-branded web briefing have a strong promise. As long as they don't do any drastic changes with the online show, this could stick for a while.

How come when i view the stream of the regular newscasts it looks like this. The hd quality seems downgraded. The picture was from a couple days ago.

wlsquestion.png

Don't get me wrong, it does have it's flaws, but at its best, it's phenomenal quality.

I can't believe I missed it. I'm happy the NS2k+ afternoon bumper is being used in some capacity, since you'll probably never hear it OTA again, since the 11am show is gone. The web briefs have been around for a good minute, and it seems that this newly-branded web briefing have a strong promise. As long as they don't do any drastic changes with the online show, this could stick for a while.

Seeing as 72GO (that's what I'm calling it) has been taken down for today, I'll try and upload the inaugaral broadcast a little later.

Don't get me wrong, it does have it's flaws, but at its best, it's phenomenal quality.

Seeing as 72GO (that's what I'm calling it) has been taken down for today, I'll try and upload the inaugaral broadcast a little later.

Thanks! I would love to see it, should you put it up.

I don't too much care for picture quality, since I'm use to seeing WLS's & WABC's live streams and sometimes the quality could get worst. Sometimes it would freeze and I had to refresh the browser. But the most part, to me, it's tolerable.

I wonder what they're going do their older wireless online url "abc7togo.com" since it shares the same brand as this new web brief show, "ABC 7 To Go". After all, as many folks have smartphone, they've constantly making or updated newer news, weather, and alarm clock smartphone applications.

Same daytime promo graphic featuring the 2007 "Start Here" package. At least they're using the right logo.

SAM_0255_zps017597a3.jpg

I forgot to mention this over the weekend. It appears there's another inconsistency. We already see a new logo on this, that's bad enough, when you don't do it for all the other shows. You know the Inside Edition, Jeopardy & Katie slates have the 2007 logo, with Roger Rose saying "Today at blah-blah-blah on ABC 7". Wheel still have (and I assume they haven't changed it yet) that old '98 logo with the "HD" next to it and Roger Thompson saying "Wheel Of Fortune in High-Def. Tonight at 6:30". But the voice on the Live with Kelly & Michael slates is Bill Ratner.

Ever since Rose's VO's were back last week, I haven't heard any new VOs from Ratner. But talk about inconsistency!

The webcast starts with a simple open, using the EWN cut featured in the 5pm promo.

Alan Krashesky starts the broadcast, promptly tossing to the first field report. Today's report was pre-recorded, but I'm guessing that may not always be the case, seeing as the story today wasn't an urgent, still-developing issue. The video quality throughout the update is spectacular, the same consistent quality that is seen on the live stream of traditional newscasts, but it still isn't perfect.

After another few stories, Krash throws it to Mike Caplan (live) in the upstairs weather studio. The fantastic video quality is even more noticeable when the weather graphics are featured.

After a few more stories, most of which were lighter (though not fluff), Alan previews today's 'Katie' and 4pm news. The show closes with a list of what's trending in Chicago right now. Kinda pointless, but the (former) 11am bumper cut of NS2K+ is used as a closing theme, so it's worth it.

'ABC 7 To Go' certainly has promise. It was fairly well-executed, but that's probably because Alan has been doing a midday web brief like this for a few years. The new webcast clocked in at about 12 minutes, which falls into the 10-15 minute range that was promised. I think it has a chance, I know I'll check it out regularly. It was fast-paced and concise, but not at all rushed. Most stories were brief, for sure, but I didn't feel like I missed much. Something like this would not work on-air, but it is perfect as a companion to their website, and I think that's what makes it successful.

Well, after viewing the noon web briefings, since Tuesday, they've since replaced that former afternoon bumper, with that same EWN cue that's used on the 72GO opening to end the briefing, and most of the Weather segments happen towards the last few minutes. I think today, it was Linda who filled in, and I think they went over twelve minutes.

But I'm shocked no one mentioned about the Windy City Live news inserts, and its nothing more than basically one full news insert at the top of the hour. The actual WCL show opening doesn't show until after 11:04am, after the news portion is done. At around 11:45-11:50ish, there's another insert where Tracy would do full forecast, and Linda would return to preview the upcoming 4pm show. And during the news insert, it has a modified bug to orbit the ABC 7 logo with the circle WCL logo.

WLS's looks a lot better since they redesigned the bug last year. The gold area doesn't go all the way into the corner of the screen, it's a little more transparent, a bit darker, and far more subtle, overall.

If you like that tweak of that graphic, you'll love the 11am one during WCL. It doesn't glow too much, and it's almost transparent.

9238778_335x188.jpg

Those local news inserts are also repeated during the noon WCL repeat airing on 7.2. But before this week, I seriously thought this. If they're keeping the late night WCL repeat, are they're going to include those outdated news/weather inserts? When I saw the late night repeat on Monday, I didn't see the news inserts, but I did hear from one of the host that Linda did mention about a news event happened, so I'd assumed that insert already happened.

As I'd watched towards the end of the program, it appears that they've edited out the two news/weather inserts from the 11am airing on the 12:07am repeat and WCL is now producing new content (between around 12:55-1:04am) to replace the inserts entitled "Windy City Live AFTER DARK", where its nothing more than a filler of more WCL content to replace those inserts. Those segments are posted online prior to the airing.

9237372_223x126.jpg

Hey, if I want to see any news at that time, WLS can be wise and get rid of that Katie repeat and bring back the 10pm repeat of the news, like it was a year ago. Who wants to see that disaster at 1:07am in the morning.

I'm pissed off. :angry: :bang: :mad:

Another one of WLS-TV's hallmark staples could be out the door, and it doesn't involve its newscasts.

I checked out Channel 7 earlier yesterday morning after 2:35am, and it appears that it has now starting to air a block of infomercials during the overnight hours on early Saturday and Sunday mornings, in lieu of those Late Night "public domain" movies that they've always have aired. And if you think there isn't any significance, the station has aired those kinds of movies since the station bought a perpetuity license to carry those 1930s, 1940s "RKO, C&C Movietime" films in 1957!!! So they'd aired these movies for 56 years!!!!! Back when they were WBKB. This station was probably the last station in the country to air these kinds of movies on any television station.

I'm hoping this is not permanent and those movies come back, because I never remember at any point in time that they've didn't air those kinds of movies late at night on the weekends, and probably before World News Now, they would air this every night before signoff. Earlier on this thread, I'd mentioned that it did have a new late night movie bumper graphic, with the new ABC 7 logo on it. So in my mind, that would make me think they'll probably update the late night movie open. But now it appears, they probably have different plans. Now some of y'all are going to think, why is he bitching about some sort of movies and you weren't even around that time. It's a point of having those movies aired on this station all this time, makes it a tradition of its own. And this really blows, if this move is permanent.

Video Courtesy of lobsterstuffedwithta from YT

Two notes this afternoon:

• Morning traffic anchor Roz Varon will be off the rest of this week after having a preventative procedure done tomorrow to treat Stage 0 breast cancer. Varon was first diagnosed with a more severe bout with the disease 7 years ago. http://abclocal.go.com/wls/video?id=9249978
  • Today's 72GO featured a live report from the scene of the D.C. shooting. It was the network-fed generic live-shot, but it proves the capability to carry live reports is there.

I'm pissed off. :angry: :bang: :mad:

Another one of WLS-TV's hallmark staples could be out the door, and it doesn't involve its newscasts.

I checked out Channel 7 earlier yesterday morning after 2:35am, and it appears that it has now starting to air a block of infomercials during the overnight hours on early Saturday and Sunday mornings, in lieu of those Late Night "public domain" movies that they've always have aired. And if you think there isn't any significance, the station has aired those kinds of movies since the station bought a perpetuity license to carry those 1930s, 1940s "RKO, C&C Movietime" films in 1957!!! So they'd aired these movies for 56 years!!!!! Back when they were WBKB. This station was probably the last station in the country to air these kinds of movies on any television station.

I'm hoping this is not permanent and those movies come back, because I never remember at any point in time that they've didn't air those kinds of movies late at night on the weekends, and probably before World News Now, they would air this every night before signoff. Earlier on this thread, I'd mentioned that it did have a new late night movie bumper graphic, with the new ABC 7 logo on it. So in my mind, that would make me think they'll probably update the late night movie open. But now it appears, they probably have different plans. Now some of y'all are going to think, why is he bitching about some sort of movies and you weren't even around that time. It's a point of having those movies aired on this station all this time, makes it a tradition of its own. And this really blows, if this move is permanent.

Video Courtesy of lobsterstuffedwithta from YT

#splittinghairs

#splittinghairs

#IDGAF!!!!

It's been a staple at the station for a long time and Dumbo Idler continues to do all these stupid changes. And as I said before, he's been doing these changes not for the better, but for the worst. Why get rid of something that's have been there for a long time. All he cares about is trying to slowly change the aspect of the station, looking more like a carbon copy of an O&O from out east, while kissing Rebecca Campbell's ass in the process.

#IDGAF!!!!

It's been a staple at the station for a long time and Dumbo Idler continues to do all these stupid changes. And as I said before, he's been doing these changes not for the better, but for the worst. Why get rid of something that's have been there for a long time. All he cares about is trying to slowly change the aspect of the station, looking more like a carbon copy of an O&O from out east, while kissing Rebecca Campbell's ass in the process.

Simple answer. Revenue stream. I get the sense that Disney is preparing the network for sale by putting it in the best financial position first. Yes, WLS could show evening movie classics, or they could show paid advertisements and bring in some more revenue. You must ask yourself this question: Which brings in more revenue in the wee hours of a weekday? A 30 minute advertisement (contiguous cash influx) or a classic movie which requires financing, albeit low, and a few advertisements (noncontinuous cash influx) during the movie breaks?

I realize that WLS has personally attacked your viewing habits, and a tradition has disappeared, but realize that you are night owl and that the majority of Market 3 is not awake with you, but when people are, WLS would prefer to make a bit of easy money (automated) then spend it.

Personally, this is a smart move.

$

Simple answer. Revenue stream. I get the sense that Disney is preparing the network for sale by putting it in the best financial position first. Yes, WLS could show evening movie classics, or they could show paid advertisements and bring in some more revenue. You must ask yourself this question: Which brings in more revenue in the wee hours of a weekday? A 30 minute advertisement (contiguous cash influx) or a classic movie which requires financing, albeit low, and a few advertisements (noncontinuous cash influx) during the movie breaks?

I realize that WLS has personally attacked your viewing habits, and a tradition has disappeared, but realize that you are night owl and that the majority of Market 3 is not awake with you, but when people are, WLS would prefer to make a bit of easy money (automated) then spend it.

Personally, this is a smart move.

$

I'm not escaping the fact that it could be a Revenue Frontier scheme, if this is permanent. Last season, they started airing infomercials during the noon hour on the weekends, and that was an unconventional time for them to air it, yet I wasn't mad about that. They dropped those, as soon as they'd expanded its Saturday Morning news and moved its Litton block from 10am-1pm.

Anyone can say it's a smart move to place more infomercials to get more revenue dollars. I'm not going to contest that, since all stations do that. But to me, it is a very asinine move to get rid of a staple that's been their since damn near the station's existence, since WBKB!!!.

If permanent, this is an end of an era and history going down the drain. And it's sad nevertheless.

Okay what broadcastfan9751 posted earlier, Feder pointed out WLS ratings have dipped significantly in the mornings since these changes went in effect more than two weeks ago.

GOOD!!!! I'd expected this.

What did I say, WGN did what they needed to do. They heavily promoted their 9am and 11am shows like a hawk and so far, it has worked wonders for them. I hoping their continued success.

It's not that folks have find a way to see Windy City Live, Dumbo Idler. Its that many folk are keen to their midday news. If they're not getting their news from Channel 7, they'll get it from somewhere else. And what Channel 7 did was, since dropping its 2-decade newscast, they basically hand their #1 baton to WGN. I told y'all earlier that it was going to be open season, and it appears that it has.

As for their morning show, Channel 5 announced their win in the 25/54 demo on the last sweeps period. But it would be interesting to see the new sweep numbers in November if Channel 7 finally lose their #1 in the early morning news.

And as long as they abide by the Corporate Master in keeping Kelly & Michael at 9am, they can kiss their #1 at 9am & 11am. I have a feeling that the station won't be dealing with these big blows too long and WCL will see better days being dumped and their hourly midday news will return, with all their glory.

Okay what broadcastfan9751 posted earlier, the Feder pointed out WLS ratings have dipped significantly in the mornings since these changes went in effect more than two weeks ago.

GOOD!!!! I'd expected this.

What did I say, WGN did what they needed to do. They heavily promoted their 9am and 11am shows like a hawk and so far, it has worked wonders for them. I hoping their continued success.

It's not that folks have find a way to see Windy City Live, Dumbo Idler. Its that many folk are keen to their midday news. If they're not getting their news from Channel 7, they'll get it from somewhere else. And what Channel 7 did was, since dropping its 2-decade newscast, they basically hand their #1 baton to WGN. I told y'all earlier that it was going to be open season, and it appears that it has.

As for their morning show, Channel 5 announced their win in the 25/54 demo on the last sweeps period. But it would be interesting to see the new sweep numbers in November if Channel 7 finally lose their #1 in the early morning news.

And as long as they abide by the Corporate Master in keeping Kelly & Michael at 9am, they can kiss their #1 at 9am & 11am. I have a feeling that the station won't be dealing with these big blows too long and WCL will see better days being dumped and their hourly midday news will return, with all their glory.

I think Live will be ok once it starts to set in but I expect WCL to be dumped for a return of the news at 11am.

Also, as an outsider (not in Chicago), I don't watch ABC 7 Chicago all that often but when I do, I get the feel of it being old. The set, graphics even the music (to a much lesser extent) all seem old. Maybe they should take a page from NBC 5 and do a bit of an overhaul and redo the set, get new graphics and maybe a small update to the existing music. I think the content is very good at WLS but I think it is just dying for an update.

Of course I'm sure 24994J and CircleSeven have more of and idea of what WLS needs as they are in Chicago but that is what I see from my smaller perspective.

I think Live will be ok once it starts to set in but I expect WCL to be dumped for a return of the news at 11am.

Also, as an outsider (not in Chicago), I don't watch ABC 7 Chicago all that often but when I do, I get the feel of it being old. The set, graphics even the music (to a much lesser extent) all seem old. Maybe they should take a page from NBC 5 and do a bit of an overhaul and redo the set, get new graphics and maybe a small update to the existing music. I think the content is very good at WLS but I think it is just dying for an update.

Of course I'm sure 24994J and CircleSeven have more of and idea of what WLS needs as they are in Chicago but that is what I see from my smaller perspective.

I welcome your input. Although I've already stated my take on the music twice (as I say is the staple and the sentimental part of the station), I don't really care if they get any graphics or build a new set. They already reached eight years with the existing graphics. What Comcast have done to Channel 5 was nothing short of heavy investing. Last year, their morning news was nearly as low as WBBM. But not only they did these set of cosmetic changes last year, they'd also made personnel changes, after many of them left and went to NYC (Faris, Zee, Sambolin). Although I still thought it was rush to get Lester Holt's son Stefen on that anchor chair (after just started at the station some months prior), it appears with him and Guzman have finally made some charm in their ratings boost in the mornings.

But I'm not going to let it pass this dummy. He's already done smaller changes, it would not be a surprising thing if he would be doing major change. And based on what 24994J is probably implying, I don't think its only going to be cosmetic changes, but changes could also come from personnel as well.

Look at it, since Sylvia's abrupt departure, they haven't made a new 4pm talent open. So that alone could be a possible sign of something. Yet I probably think they'll probably make one in the near future, its been since then that they haven't made one. Also since this past month, I've also notice that there's been more fill-ins this time around on the Weekday shows. I think last week Stacey & Karen was filling it for Cheryl last week at 5pm. And Cheryl & Kathy was filling it for Linda this week at 4. I dunno if its sign would be under Idler's radar to change the personnel in the future. Like I stated, I wouldn't let it pass him. Should he go on with personnel changes, IMO he'll probably hurt the station more than helping. But we'll see if that bridge will be crossed.

But to say about their morning woes, I think Live is staying at 9am on WLS from here on out, even if its not (or ever be) in first place. When WCL started, I had doubts about it getting viewers, but most of that time, they even shocked me as being on top at 9am, except their August dip before the move to 11am. And based on reading the comments from the article, many have made their 9am choice. Hell, WLS continues to plug the new morning lineup on the 8:56 GMA cut, and it's been three weeks. Even with the 2 four minute news/weather cut-ins during WCL or that 10+minute online midday show, no Chicago viewer likes a 9-hour local news gap on television (7am-4pm). That's why many of the viewers are flocking to good ol' Channel 9 and the other stations.

So he moved Live! to 9am, Windy City Live to 11am, and got rid of the late night movies for infomercials.

I guess I'm not seeing what the big deal is and why that makes him a "dummy". I don't know...I don't live in Chicago and have never been, but isn't this all much ado about nothing?

So he moved Live! to 9am, Windy City Live to 11am, and got rid of the late night movies for infomercials.

I guess I'm not seeing what the big deal is and why that makes him a "dummy". I don't know...I don't live in Chicago and have never been, but isn't this all much ado about nothing?

Much ado about nothing? No.

Reason to lose our minds and call people names? Definitely no, but that's just my humble opinion.

It's all just something to keep an eye on.

Okay, this is going to be long-winded, but hear me out...

I'll give 'WCL' a year, at best. Between 'The Chew', 'GH', and 'Katie', something might not last til next Fall. Should all of those survive, 'WCL' is dead. If one does end, and ABC replaces it with something else, 'WCL' is dead. If two don't survive, 'WCL' will live.

I do actually think that, despite some suspicions, John Idler is doing what he can with the hand that he has been dealt. I can bet you dollars to doughnuts that Disney, ABC, and Rebecca Campbell had been waiting for the day that Emily Barr moved on. She simply had the seniority and influence that prevented the network from doing what it wanted with their oddball child. Upon her departure, Mr. Idler stepped in, having a history with ABC, at WTVD in the same role, and even at WLS under Barr's leadership. Despite that history, he did not have the kind of pull that Ms. Barr had, thus rendering him rather powerless against the network. I'm not saying changes wouldn't be made, but he'd likely be more hesitant to screw up the station's opportunity to succeed. Frankly, I think Ms. Barr was riding the wave way too long, and had no immediate intentions of breathing some life into an increasingly stale product.

It's no secret that ABC is trying to cut some fat, and I'm certain that Campbell and Co. would love nothing more than to give 'WCL' the boot. 'Windy City Live' did not survive without a fight. Let's face it, what's more expensive to put on each day...'WCL' or the 11am news?

...That's what I thought. I believe that cutting one anchor (and likely a few producers and such) was better than cutting most of the 'WCL' team. I'd like to think that more people remain employed because of this. And then there's the potential ad revenue that comes with the acquisition of 'Live', but that's obvious. I'll bet that ABC's been pushing for WLS to get 'Live' for years, but didn't totally make the move until Barr was gone from WLS and Michael Strahan had proven his worth in the ratings.

As for personnel changes, I think what's in place right now is designed as a temporary fix. Are people facing the chopping block? Not necessarily, but what's going on right now doesn't seem like a long-term arrangement. I don't know what the contract situations are, but if 'WCL' goes, I think Linda Yu will follow. Fired and kicked out? Not likely, but she will be 67 this year, and one is left to wonder how much she (or any of the other vets) has left in the tank. This begs the question, as well...if the work environment is so toxic, then why isn't a Magers, Taft, Mathie or the like calling it a career and getting the hell outta there?

...But I digress. Let's take a look at Alan Krashesky for a moment. After 31 years at the station, practically his ENTIRE professional career, he's on the doorstep of being principal anchor. When Ron Magers leaves, the seat is pretty much guaranteed to be his. If he's within a few years of top dog status, how long would he be expected to do the noon webcast?

As for the overnight movies, if they're gone for good, it's a shame. However, a little extra income never killed anyone, and if it keeps more people employed, then I'm all for it. Also, we need to pick our battles.

Upon WCL's cancellation, a midday newscast will be restored, but I'd guess that the morning team would be installed, not anyone from the afternoon side...UNNNNNNNNNNLESSSSSSSSSS Stacey Baca or Karen Jordan get a promotion, which I won't rule out. As for the 'WCL' team, I don't know. I don't see Val finding a place in an already-crowded female news team. Ryan might be worked back into the sports team, seeing as Giangreco and J.R. are both past 60, and Rafer is clearly being groomed for the top spot.

My stance through all of this has been that, let me reminisce, "People Make the Difference". I have my feelings about the theme and the graphics, but who's delivering the product is my favored piece of the presentation pie. The look they have right now is good. It's way past its prime, and borders on 'ugh', but it's held up remarkably well and by no means looks bad. I have a big soft spot for the theme, but I've found it to be getting a little tired in recent months. If 'Eyewitness News' is on it's way, I would prefer the current WABC cuts (however, that's all up in the air if WABC could be changing things up soon). I don't want the really old stuff, and sure as hell don't want the New Generation crap, either. In a perfect world,

would be the new theme, but I have a feeling that the chances of that happening are (to quote Jim Rose) slim and none, "and slim is warming up the car".

I think I've covered everything, but I guess my point is that John Idler has a lot on his plate, and has been forced to make some changes. Is he kissing anyone's ass? No, he's doing what his boss tells him, and it's incredibly rude and ignorant to fault him for that. Looking at the past, no one wants to come to Chicago with the goal of being the next Ahern, Cheatwood, or any of the WFLD (mis)managers of the last 5 years. The decisions made right now are questionable, for sure, but I think a significant part of running a television station is trial and error. We all (some more than others) need to give it a little time. Over the next few years, things will become clearer, but the stagnant, 2005-mindset will not and cannot work in 2013.

Call me nostalgic but I'm going to miss the ABC 7 Late Night Movies that aired on Fridays and Saturdays until recently.

Even though the picture quality of some flicks was like watching an old filmstrip projected on a bedsheet, I always appreciated this nod to the past from the programmer or whoever at the station.

Occasionally they showed real gems like Orson Welle's "Journey into Fear" or an entry from the "Falcon" series.

I have to admit that this was an extreme throwback and there was probably a dwindling viewership for obscure b&w films at 3 AM in 2013.

Although even with cable stations like TCM & Fox Movie Channel or Netflix or Youtube ect., with classic movies available any time, I still felt that there was something special about the last remaining local station to keep the ritual going.

Perhaps WYCC could pick up the torch and continue the tradition.

Last Saturday they showed "The Big Combo" around the same time slot. Sometimes they show a classic film like "The Stranger" on Sunday afternoons.

Unfortunately they do not show these movies on a regular/weekly schedule.

I guess my point is that I believe there's still an audience for this type of programming on a non-cable station.

This is a really long post. This was going only be the post about Idler. But since other stuff occured, let me first point out some things that 24494J said back on Thursday night, which he made some real crucial points.

Okay, this is going to be long-winded, but hear me out...

I'll give 'WCL' a year, at best. Between 'The Chew', 'GH', and 'Katie', something might not last til next Fall. Should all of those survive, 'WCL' is dead. If one does end, and ABC replaces it with something else, 'WCL' is dead. If two don't survive, 'WCL' will live.

I do actually think that, despite some suspicions, John Idler is doing what he can with the hand that he has been dealt. I can bet you dollars to doughnuts that Disney, ABC, and Rebecca Campbell had been waiting for the day that Emily Barr moved on. She simply had the seniority and influence that prevented the network from doing what it wanted with their oddball child. Upon her departure, Mr. Idler stepped in, having a history with ABC, at WTVD in the same role, and even at WLS under Barr's leadership. Despite that history, he did not have the kind of pull that Ms. Barr had, thus rendering him rather powerless against the network. I'm not saying changes wouldn't be made, but he'd likely be more hesitant to screw up the station's opportunity to succeed. Frankly, I think Ms. Barr was riding the wave way too long, and had no immediate intentions of breathing some life into an increasingly stale product.

It's no secret that ABC is trying to cut some fat, and I'm certain that Campbell and Co. would love nothing more than to give 'WCL' the boot. 'Windy City Live' did not survive without a fight. Let's face it, what's more expensive to put on each day...'WCL' or the 11am news?

...That's what I thought. I believe that cutting one anchor (and likely a few producers and such) was better than cutting most of the 'WCL' team. I'd like to think that more people remain employed because of this. And then there's the potential ad revenue that comes with the acquisition of 'Live', but that's obvious. I'll bet that ABC's been pushing for WLS to get 'Live' for years, but didn't totally make the move until Barr was gone from WLS and Michael Strahan had proven his worth in the ratings.

You know what? Ever since Ms. Barr left WLS, I had a strong theory that the reason why she left the station to head Post-Newsweek Stations, was because she wasn't appointed as the successor of MCTYW co-creator Walter Liss's seat as ABC owned president, which he instead appointed WABC's GM Rebecca Campbell to succeed him. Maybe they were think why would she stay as President and GM that long (over 15 years), while every other O&O station GMs were getting better positions in other places. Before then, because she stayed all these years, I came to the impression that she loved her position and she probably didn't want to leave.

I do agree with certain elements being stagnant, especially Barr's last years. Hell they didn't even used the "Start Here" logo fully until early last year. But even if you would think it was 'stale', I still think that familiarity was the true goal, and I think she'd conquered it. I think the problem was not getting more of a younger audience on the last years of her being there, while the other stations changed their content (to a degree) and made changes cosmetically, while WLS kept their own content (which is no problem to me) and kept the same look in 2005. So I'm not mad about that.

About Live, it was a no-brainer that ABC wanted Live on Channel 7 from the get-go. The last time Live was on at Channel 7, and Ms. Barr started as GM, it was on in the overnight hours, but obviously they wanted the show to be on at 9am. But my question to you is this. Do you think that ABC wanted Live on Channel 7 that bad, despite having Oprah on at 9am (for the entire run), basically by Oprah's request? And by how it sounds, I think Ms. Barr honored that request.

I still think if WCL would've gotten canned (despite being how popular the show was becoming), their 11am news would've stayed. Although I would've hate to see the force getting fired, Sylvia wouldn't gotten the ax. But then who knows, they probably plan to get rid of Sylvia, even if they did get rid of WCL and fire the force wholesale.

As for personnel changes, I think what's in place right now is designed as a temporary fix. Are people facing the chopping block? Not necessarily, but what's going on right now doesn't seem like a long-term arrangement. I don't know what the contract situations are, but if 'WCL' goes, I think Linda Yu will follow. Fired and kicked out? Not likely, but she will be 67 this year, and one is left to wonder how much she (or any of the other vets) has left in the tank. This begs the question, as well...if the work environment is so toxic, then why isn't a Magers, Taft, Mathie or the like calling it a career and getting the hell outta there?

...But I digress. Let's take a look at Alan Krashesky for a moment. After 31 years at the station, practically his ENTIRE professional career, he's on the doorstep of being principal anchor. When Ron Magers leaves, the seat is pretty much guaranteed to be his. If he's within a few years of top dog status, how long would he be expected to do the noon webcast?

Upon WCL's cancellation, a midday newscast will be restored, but I'd guess that the morning team would be installed, not anyone from the afternoon side...UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNLESSSSSSSSSSSSSS Stacey Baca or Karen Jordan get a promotion, which I won't rule out. As for the 'WCL' team, I don't know. I don't see Val finding a place in an already-crowded female news team. Ryan might be worked back into the sports team, seeing as Giangreco and J.R. are both past 60, and Rafer is clearly being groomed for the top spot.

I'm not too keen about someone's age. As long as they still have the same credibility and style they always have, they should continue to do their thing. Look at 85 year old Harry Porterfield. He still anchors the 11am news on Channel 2. He'll retire when he feels ready. I think many folks were shocked that a station that gotten rid of him 24 years prior, new management from the station brought him back with open arms, some were pissed is to why they have him anchoring and not a younger anchor. I know many want more younger cats and want to slowly push the old cats away. But they should really be careful and not shove everybody out at the same time, because you will see a ratings shift that you don't want to see.

I think the stations that have more of an older anchor personnel need to start a "farm and groom" approach now, and start trying climb folks up that ladder, should the older personalities decides to leave. When you don't have that plan, that makes is disastrous.

I don't think they'll get rid of Ron, Jerry, Mark & Jim, until they feel ready to hang it up. But it will be an interesting time come contract renewal time. I also don't want to see Linda leave, despite her being there for going on 30 years next year. But you have to wonder who'll become the next weakest link, and I think Linda could be the next one.

Should either Mark and/or Jim leave the station, you can say good bye to the 4pm sports segment and two weekday sports anchors. I know WPVI started doing it recently, but typically sports segments would be on the earliest of the evening news shows. So should Rafer become the main sports anchor in the future, you'll probably going to see him on the 5pm, 6pm, and 10pm shows.

Should Jerry leaves, many would think that Mike would easily replaced Jerry. But one would wonder, what happens with Tracy & Phil, which all three came at the start around the same time (94-95). One would worry if Mike gets the main spot, could Tracy or Phil revolt from Channel 7 and move to the competing stations? Both Brant Miller and Steve Baskerville are in their early 60s. They're not as old as Jerry, but they're surely heading there. It wouldn't be fair to the other younger weather anchors of Channel 2 & 5 if they get one of the Channel 7 meteorologist, if they do so leave.

Yes, I strongly agree that its a foregone conclusion, that Alan would finally get the top spot once Ron leaves the station. But I have to wonder, if he does get it, how long will he be around. As mentioned, he'll be reaching that 31 year mark next month. Yeah and he's no young buck either, as he's in his 50s. But if he does become the top anchor, I don't think he'll go past at least a good decade, (no more, no less). And should that be the case, he would already be pushing on over the four decades mark.

As for the female side, you are absolutely right. It is a very crowded field. The only one from the Morning Show that I would likely see getting promoted is probably Judy, should Linda leaves. Should WCL get the ax, and there's a no brainer that the Midday news will return. Judy could return doing the midday news. Or leave the morning news, and do the 4pm. That would be open season for Baca and Jordan. But I tend to like Baca more field reporting or fill-in anchoring during the early evening shows, instead of her anchoring during the weekend morning news. Let's just say on I find her "non-serious moments" during the weekend morning news very dry and somewhat irritating. Jordan on the other hand, is a complete opposite, and I seriously wouldn't mind seeing her on the morning show. Hell, I wouldn't be too shocked if I see another female anchor pair at 4pm. But all in fairness, its really too early to tell.

But in all seriousness, I don't really think should be any personnel changes in the morning. But there could be a toss up, where Idler could break up the station's current longest-tenured anchor team (12 years, 8 months), since the station's ratings have dipped as of late. I hope that's not the case.

Should WCL goes, I tend to agree that Ryan could go back to do sports. But I don't think Valerie would be out of the station. I think the station would probably assign her to be either a host of some local program or a feature reporter. I strongly doubt she'll be doing heavy reporting or even becoming an anchor of any of the newscast. But I don't think they'll get rid of Valerie that quick.

Also should WCL gets the ax, it's a no brainer that the midday news will return. In fact about it, that's my prediction. WCL and that Couric borefest will go away. I think Couric will be gone by seasons' end. And if Couric replaces Walters on the View, that show will be in jeopardy. This leaves The Chew and GH. The only one daytime show that probably, surprising growing is shockingly, GH!. I'm not too sure if it's going to hold up in the future, but it appears that they held up its own by being the only soap on the network. But who knows, things changed in a snap of a finger.

Now what I think its the bread and butter of this part of the discussion.

My stance through all of this has been that, let me reminisce, "People Make the Difference". I have my feelings about the theme and the graphics, but who's delivering the product is my favored piece of the presentation pie. The look they have right now is good. It's way past its prime, and borders on 'ugh', but it's held up remarkably well and by no means looks bad. I have a big soft spot for the theme, but I've found it to be getting a little tired in recent months. If 'Eyewitness News' is on it's way, I would prefer the current WABC cuts (however, that's all up in the air if WABC could be changing things up soon). I don't want the really old stuff, and sure as hell don't want the New Generation crap, either. In a perfect world,
would be the new theme, but I have a feeling that the chances of that happening is (to quote Jim Rose) slim and none, "and slim is warming up the car".

I can't agree with you more with who's bringing the content style. That keeps me watching WLS for news. But I can't go without talking my favor element of all of this. And I've been preaching this so many times before. But it just need to explain it again.

They've gone with the same music for 21 years now. I don't care how some have said how stale its sounding now. Hell, I didn't even like NS2000+ when it first began 21 years ago. I was 6 years old, and at that time, I was "diggin'" per se, the News Series 2000 theme. But after while, I grew up and embraced it since then, and it has been the station's longest used news theme, longer than the station's previous themes and longer than the competing stations, while they've changed their themes 3-6 times since that 21-year period.

Dropping the iconic News Series 2000 Plus for the overly used ABC O&O News Package would be nothing short of being a catastrophic and apocalyptic event for the station. It'll probably be worst than the equivalent to WPVI dropping of Move Closer To Your World back in 1996. Yet both MCTYW & NS2000+ are two very different themes in their own right, both have lasted long enough that most viewers in those respective cities grow to know the easily identifiable themes whenever the news comes on. And the major factor is both themes have longevity. You cannot beat that. When you get rid of an iconic theme, you take a part of the station's identity, locality, individuality, creativity, legacy away. You through all of that out the window. WJZ using Chroma Cues for over a quarter century. Although they've basically went through small updates here and there, they've basically used the same theme in those balance of those 25 years. That's a strong sentiment. The countless other stations can't say that, because they're use to having theme changes every 3-7 years average. So me even earlier than that, others longer within a full decade. And anyway many of the newer themes get stale so quick, those CSD be begging for a new theme, and they just got a fresh new theme some months back. Change just for the sake of Change. Where ever happen to having music that's going to last for the long haul? No station in this country would ever want to pursue this.

I love the WABC cues. I always did since I first received WABC and saw their newscast on satellite in 2000. But its better suited for only WABC. This is just another example of trying to strip its own identity and try to make a carbon copy of another. I don't want to see any WABC elements on WLS. It just doesn't look right. And I don't want to hear any themes that were used by the other sister-stations, despite WLS using several EWN cues for other usage over the years. I would feel more happier if they bring back the afternoon bumper for the 4 & 5pm news shows again, since the 11am show is gone. I just can't see WLS using the WABC cues during the newscast of any of the versions from 1994 down to now with last year's update that KABC is using now. NS2000+ is too iconic, I don't care if some of you think its getting old and stale, which I think its not the case. And one the same boat with Eyewitness News, I wouldn't want to see WLS using the rejected NS2000+ updated cues either. It sounds too much like the New Generation themes, and it doesn't fit the content style the current cues are.

Throughout the 21 years span with the same news theme, Channel 7 have gone through three different news sets, different different opening graphics, six different lower third & OTS graphics and several different talent changes. And lets not forget, they've been a longtime Gari client since 1980!! I'd never seen a station using the same client for over 30+ consecutive years, and I don't think any station right now has ever been with the same client longer than WLS. That's nothing short of remarkable and monumental. If they can update the set and graphics, but keep their theme in the process, while doing so in previous cosmetic changes, I think they'll have the guts to pull it through again. But should the inevitability occurs, and they drop their longtime music, this would be the darkest moment in the history of WLS-TV.

And now I want to talk about Idler.

No. But it appears in my mind that he can't think straight. While the latter means way more to me, than those other two shows (Live & WCL), they are several things that he have done that has been nothing but hurting the station's credibility, gradually stripping the station's hallmarks and legacies. Before you know it, it'll become a station similar to the other O&Os and viewers will really revolt. When doing several changes like this, you have to really have to be careful of which viewers you're hurting. Hell, I still can't get over the way Sylvia was departed. That has to be one of the lowest moments at the station in recent years. Yeah, you can say the Mouse have to trim the fat meat, but it should've been handled way better. You can add the getting rid of weekly 190 North show, firing Tom Hebel, and brought in a CSD from his old station.

Much ado about nothing? No.

Reason to lose our minds and call people names? Definitely no, but that's just my humble opinion.

It's all just something to keep an eye on.

I think I've covered everything, but I guess my point is that John Idler has a lot on his plate, and has been forced to make some changes. Is he kissing anyone's ass? No, he's doing what his boss tells him, and it's incredibly rude and ignorant to fault him for that. Looking at the past, no one wants to come to Chicago with the goal of being the next Ahern, Cheatwood, or any of the WFLD (mis)managers of the last 5 years. The decisions made right now are questionable, for sure, but I think a significant part of running a television station is trial and error. We all (some more than others) need to give it a little time. Over the next few years, things will become clearer, but the stagnant, 2005-mindset will not and cannot work in 2013.

I know some of y'all are saying, "Don't call him a dummy" or "Oh, Give him a CHANCE. He's trying. Give it some TIME. He's no Emily Barr". You're right, He's no Emily Barr. But I wouldn't say she didn't have any flaws either. Yet she was instrumental coming out against the LNS service in 2009 and was very vocal to start the Live Well Network, she was responsible for dumping longtime and LOCAL VO Ron Rolland for Roger Rose. I even said, with that VO change that "Al Parker should be rolling in his grave". If I would make changes to the station, I wouldn't just let your viewers leave like that, especially in the morning. I think whatever he does doesn't benefit the viewers, but to benefits his bosses, as he's an asskisser to Rebecca Campbell. Even if any of you think he's not asskissing, I strongly think he is, but that's my strong opinion.

It's probably not a good thing to call folks out their names. But as I said before, whether I call him a Dumbo of not (That's what I said), while I'm just to show how I'm frustrated on his work since he step foot at 190 North State Street over a year ago, I'm not going to change the way I think of him, and he's not going to care what I think or anyone else think. As long as he's the keeper of the key at Channel 7, he will do whatever he pleases, whether anyone likes it or not. And more in likely, I will continue to bitch like everyone else when new changes occur at the station, because you can let it pass this Idler & Curtis Miles. I'm fearing that any new massive cosmetic changes that comes forth at this point, which eliminates the charm, hallmark and legacy of the station would be nothing more than a catastrophic and apocalyptic event.

So y'all can defend Idler and kiss his ass, and rub his belly, and pat him on the back or the forehead and play the wait and see game, while y'all "givin' it some time" and see what strings he'll be pulling under his sleeve next. I already said my stance back in June, coining him as the "New Joe Ahern of this market". In my view, the writing is already on the wall. It's already a "Foregone Conclusion". Like I preached on that other threads, folks need to be accountable for what they do. Idler needs to be accountable for what he does. As I see it, when you think an then execute things that would end up being dumb, "Dumbo" (not the Disney Elephant Character) should be an unofficial title for you. But that's what I believe at this very moment. Yes, no newly appointed ND and/or GM coming from outside the city wants to be another Joe Ahern, Cheatwood or the countless others. At some point, folks are going to do things that may not lead a successful path. That's what you "taking a risk". Everybody does that. And if it doesn't go in your favor, you take accountable for your loses. And if you see anything that is not right, even if you think its "incredibly rude" (which I think its not), why the hell not fault the keeper of the key?!! How much time do he need? You can't blame everything on Ms. Barr. Dumbo Idler is the captain of the ship, and if he does a bad move, he has to be held accountable for every wrong turn he makes. So until I see some improvement that would benefit and show some good and to preserve some of the hallmarks an legacies (that its left) on one of my favorite television stations in the country, I'm not going to sugarcode it or dilly-dally, I'm not going to tip-toe through the tulips, or beat around the bush. Therefore, I meant every word that I said about John Idler, and I'm not going to recant or backtrack what I said. He deserves to be called what he needs to be called. I make no apologies for that statement. As I sad before on another thread, In My View, I call a spade a spade.

I do agree with you with your last point, but only to a degree. They're content continues to stay a status quo, which is a strong plus. But if Idler & Miles keeps tinkering with more of the elements, more viewers will flock away from Channel 7. And he doesn't want to see that #1 slot stripped away from them. Like I said before. I wouldn't care if the set and graphics get a change, but I'm only mentioning about one key element (you know what I'm talking about) that should not be meddled with. Change ain't always good.

Finally, Those old-old-old Movies!

As for the overnight movies, if they're gone for good, it's a shame. However, a little extra income never killed anyone, and if it keeps more people employed, then I'm all for it. Also, we need to pick our battles.

As I stated before, any station can air an infomercial to make more dough for the station. I'm not contesting that. But my point is why get rid of a staple that's been around for over five decades. Hell, the Circle 7 Logo wasn't even created yet, when they bought the license of the C&C RKO prints.

But last night, this came up....

Call me nostalgic but I'm going to miss the ABC 7 Late Night Movies that aired on Fridays and Saturdays until recently.

Even though the picture quality of some flicks was like watching an old filmstrip projected on a bedsheet, I always appreciated this nod to the past from the programmer or whoever at the station.

Occasionally they showed real gems like Orson Welle's "Journey into Fear" or an entry from the "Falcon" series.

I have to admit that this was an extreme throwback and there was probably a dwindling viewership for obscure b&w films at 3 AM in 2013.

Although even with cable stations like TCM & Fox Movie Channel or Netflix or Youtube ect., with classic movies available any time, I still felt that there was something special about the last remaining local station to keep the ritual going.

Perhaps WYCC could pick up the torch and continue the tradition.

Last Saturday they showed "The Big Combo" around the same time slot. Sometimes they show a classic film like "The Stranger" on Sunday afternoons.

Unfortunately they do not show these movies on a regular/weekly schedule.

I guess my point is that I believe there's still an audience for this type of programming on a non-cable station.

THANK YOU!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

At least someone is understanding my stance! And welcome to the board.

If the station was too keen for the ratings, which probably wouldn't made any difference 20 years earlier, they probably would've got rid of these movies a long time ago. But the biggest point that the poster said was that he "felt that there was something special about the last remaining local station to keep the ritual going." I cannot agree with you more. Even if the viewership is sparse, or slim to zilch at 2:30, 3, 3:30 4 o'clock in the morning, it's the point that the station continued to air these kinds of movies this long, even as late as 2013. Some weeks be two movie at a time, the same day remember Insomniac Theater? I think I read from somewhere, they were more than 740 of those RKO C&C films that were aired on syndication. And I probably don't know the name of many of them by heart. But after all that time, I've grown to embrace the airings of these b&w 30s & 40s prints. Being what could be the last major over-the-air television station to do so is nothing more than monumental. It's more then a privilege to embrace these timeless gems.

As for the other stations, I don't mean any disrespect and I'm not trying to be funny but.. Who watches WYCC Channel 20? I mean, I ask because, I don't hear anyone saying that they watches that station. I know they also air a good boat load of old movies as well. But for several years, I'm use to them airing on WLS on the overnights. And that alone for a big station to do so is nothing short of incredible. Many OTA stations today are hard press to even air newer movies. Yeah the success of This TV & Movies! subchannels is one thing. But I'm not a big movie fan. But when I was a child, when I saw a black and white movie on channel 7, I always thought it was fascinating to see something like this. It would be a whole different story if I never liked these movies, I probably wouldn't mentioned it on this thread.

So yes, I'm happy I'm not the only one that feels the same way about this matter. And I highly commend him for his input. I still think WLS did the dummy in dumping those old movies. But what can you do? Hmm. But it was really fun while it lasted. End of an era.