The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

What color is the ABC logo on the ABC7 logo? I've noticed that the ABC network itself is using different colors based on what the program is. I've seen both red and yellow/orange variants thus far. Do any others exist?

There's black (gray), blue, red and gold. The ONLY place I've seen the black one is on WABC. Most of the affiliates are going with the blue, which is more subtle than the red and gold.

As for the circle 7, it's seems to be essentially the same one they're using now, but with the gradient effect toned down and softened. However, the coloring remains the same, namely the grayish/silver.

Local Affiliates are using the new ABC log too and at WPDE in the Myrtle Beach/ Florence market they are going with the gold version on most promos but haven't implemented on there news broadcast as of yet. (I'm sorry if I messed up the ABC 7 thread)

I'm not going to make a big deal about this, seeing as it was under special circumstances, but ABC7's Frank Mathie just ended a live shot with "Frank Mathie, Channel 7 Eyewitness News". He was giving a preview for the station-sponsored Leukemia walk that honors late reporter Jim Gibbons, who died from the disease in 1994 (when the Eyewitness News branding was still in place). It all still made me do a double take

I'm not going to make a big deal about this, seeing as it was under special circumstances, but ABC7's Frank Mathie just ended a live shot with "Frank Mathie, Channel 7 Eyewitness News". He was giving a preview for the station-sponsored Leukemia walk that honors late reporter Jim Gibbons, who died from the disease in 1994 (when the Eyewitness News branding was still in place). It all still made me do a double take

This is not the first time that happen. Just a few years ago. Maybe it was around 2008. But I know they were downstairs at that time. Sylvia was filling in for Alan that day on the 4pm show. At the end of the show, instead of saying "that's it for ABC 7 News at 4....", she's said. "That's it for Eyewitness News at 4, I'm Sylvia Perez".

The EWN brand have been gone since 1996, but there will always be a time someone will say "Eyewitness News". Talk about Throwback Thursdays!!!

I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but the Luna closed captioning sponsor screen at the end of newscasts was changed. The screen is now widescreen, the background is different, and it has the current ABC 7 glass ball logo.

I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but the Luna closed captioning sponsor screen at the end of newscasts was changed. The screen is now widescreen, the background is different, and it has the current ABC 7 glass ball logo.

That happened last week, as those Luna shortened ads became widescreen as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey 24994J, it appears that they didn't fix that Snowden OTS text. They'd showed it again on the 6am show, just now.

Funny thing is that someone called them out on the Snowden OTS on Facebook, but not the other one.

• 3 weeks later...

At least how I see it:

Chicago's #1 News - YES

Chicago's News Leader - NO

People Make the Difference - NO

Your News Starts Here - NO

Your News, Your Way. - NO

When Idler showed up, he brought WTVD's "Keeping You Connected" slogan. That's been used from time after time in recent months. Before that it was a promo of "Stay Connected", promoting their news through the use of social media. The "Chicago's News Leader" was used from a promo (and it was one of the first appearance of current VO Roger Rose) when WLS showed their objection, after the announcement of that LNS was being formed by the four other Chicago stations. But I haven't heard it since then. I don't think they ever used the Your News Starts Here slogan, but it was used during those

using the slogan "Your News, Your Way". And we all remember those 2003 "People Make A Difference" promos profiling each of 10pm anchor personalities. This was made after the departure of Diann Burns. But that slogan was carried on even after the 2005 graphic change. As those other slogans been used, the "People Make The Difference" slogan have been used less.

A different announcer is being used for an I-Team promo. Not sure who it is...

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/video?id=9209261

Bill Ratner. He filled in for Roger Rose on the 5pm promos all week. Some of the time, they would use Roger Thompson, but like I stated on a previous post, they've been using him even less.

Bill Ratner. He filled in for Roger Rose on the 5pm promos all week.

Yeah, from some reason I just could not think of the name. I kept think Charlie Van Dyke, which I knew it wasn't. I guess I was thrown off because at no point did he say 'CBS 2'.

Yeah, from some reason I just could not think of the name. I kept think Charlie Van Dyke, which I knew it wasn't. I guess I was thrown off because at no point did he say 'CBS 2'.

I first heard Bill Ratner's voice when I first had KABC on satellite in 2000 (at that time, I didn't know his name), but since then, I sense that his voice is getting more deeper now, since that time that I mentioned, even after Channel 2 dropped him for Brian Lee.

998935_10151630681767794_825491459_n.jpg

Looks like ABC 7 is expanding their weekend morning news in response to NBC 5 expanding their weekend news starting this weekend. This was from Stacy Baca's Facebook page. She said this is the schedule for Saturday and Sunday mornings. Even though the graphic only depicts Saturday morning.

998935_10151630681767794_825491459_n.jpg

Looks like ABC 7 is expanding their weekend morning news in response to NBC 5 expanding their weekend news starting this weekend. This was from Stacy Baca's Facebook page. She said this is the schedule for Saturday and Sunday mornings. Even though the graphic only depicts Saturday morning.

To be fair, WLS announced its 9am expansion of the Saturday Morning news (at the same time the announcement of their Windy City Live move to 11am in June) before WMAQ announce their 5am expansion of their news. It's just so happens that WLS has move their launch up by a couple of weeks (the initial date of implementation was September 7). Back this weekend, I saw the program guides and I saw the 8am portion got extended to 10am, and I thought it was a mistake, even that E/I block was out of pattern. But come to find out, its not. That Litton block will shift an extra hour from 10am-1pm.

This probably don't mean much, but WLS just got a new 3-second "LATE NIGHT MOVIE" bumper graphic. The font used is the same as what they use on the news, with the new ABC 7 logo and callsign at the bottom. It replaced that 1997 one with that old cinematic camera. But the movie opening sequence from 1997 is still in use, at least for now. But it would be nice if we see that new graphic in motion should it ever be the case.