The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I know I keep talking about him but bare with me. I don't know why I can't warm up to Greg Dutra. He seems like a nice guy and is chill, but I'm having a hard time watching him. I feel like I'm comparing him to Larry Mowry, Paul Deanno, Ginger Zee, etc. I want to like him, but I'm having a hard time.

Speaking of Greg, on the 5pm they did sports first and then weather with Greg wearing a different tie than this morning. It seems like he went home and came back, but it wasn't planned and someone(not Cheryl Scott) bailed out last second.

New meteorologist from WHDH in Boston. I wonder if anyone is leaving or she's becoming a sixth full time meteorologist. I can't see them having 6 full time meteorologists and Mark McGinnis as the part time fill in. I can see Greg Dutra joining GMA weekend and Jaisol taking her spot and Mark McGinnis continue his part time fill in gig.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

New meteorologist from WHDH in Boston. I wonder if anyone is leaving or she's becoming a sixth full time meteorologist. I can't see them having 6 full time meteorologists and Mark McGinnis as the part time fill in. I can see Greg Dutra joining GMA weekend and Jaisol taking her spot and Mark McGinnis continue his part time fill in gig.

I just saw the digital newscast, Phil Schwarz is leaving which wasn't surprising though. I'm going to miss him and his weather quizzes. But, he said he might fill in, so a semi retirement. I wonder if Greg gets weekend evenings and Jaisol gets weekend mornings?

2 hours ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

I just saw the digital newscast, Phil Schwarz is leaving which wasn't surprising though. I'm going to miss him and his weather quizzes. But, he said he might fill in, so a semi retirement. I wonder if Greg gets weekend evenings and Jaisol gets weekend mornings?

I know your feelings about Greg, but I might play the long game, putting Jaisol on weekend evenings, and setting Greg up to succeed Tracy, unless they're okay with him only holding evenings for a not-too-long amount of time.

10 hours ago, 24994J said:

I know your feelings about Greg, but I might play the long game, putting Jaisol on weekend evenings, and setting Greg up to succeed Tracy, unless they're okay with him only holding evenings for a not-too-long amount of time.

I want to like Greg, but I'm having a hard time liking him. I do agree of him succeeding Tracy as he rarely fills in for Larry and Cheryl.

Also, is there a reason why there's no one that has the "chief meteorologist" title. Cheryl has the position to have it or do they want Cheryl Scott and Larry Mowry to be seen as equals?

I don't care for their newscasts anymore with the flashy graphics and the longtime theme music gone.  The current music just sucks.  I don't know why they don't just use the Eyewitness News theme if they aren't going to use News Series 2000 Plus that they had for 21 years. 

It's not the same without Linda, Sylvia, Ron, Kathy, Jerry, or Mark.  Alan leaving was the last of the great legends the station had.  I don't know why they don't put Ravi and Karen as their lead weekday team.  They are the best they've got, but they can't seem to figure out who to put in Alan's position. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Jaisol Martinez made her debut on the digital newscast tonight. She seems solid but it was the digital newscast so it's hard to tell. Phil offically retires March 1st so, Jaisol will most likely fill in until he leaves and then she takes his spot on weekend evenings.  

It's been 1 year since the digital newscasts debuted. The morning one is perfect but, the 7pm(aka the stream team/golden hour/hour of power) is not my cup of tea, but that's my opinion. Also with the 7pm newscast, Cheryl Burton's ditzy behavior is rubbing off on Rob and Greg affecting their other newscasts as well. Mark Giangreco is right about her, she is ditzy and should not be the lead anchor and Rob Elgas shouldn't be the lead anchor as well. 

• Like 1

Jaisol is in for Greg, this weekend, as he's off at a weather conference. During her welcome, Mark confirmed that she'll be joining the weekend morning team, come March. I'd imagine we don't see Mark McGinnis until then, as they're carrying 6 full-timers for the next 6 weeks.

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

Jaisol is in for Greg, this weekend, as he's off at a weather conference. During her welcome, Mark confirmed that she'll be joining the weekend morning team, come March. I'd imagine we don't see Mark McGinnis until then, as they're carrying 6 full-timers for the next 6 weeks.

So I'm guessing Greg is taking Phil's spot on weekend evenings. After you said that Greg could succeed Tracy, I really though Greg would keep weekend mornings so his schedule wouldn't change that much when that does happen. Also Greg rarely fills in during the evening newscasts now, even with the 7pm newscast so, giving him the weekend evenings will give him more chances to fill in at 10pm when Cheryl Scott and Larry Mowry are off.

• 2 weeks later...

So, here we are, 2 months after Alan Krashesky's retirement, and a job listing has been posted to the station's website. Oh, so they're looking for a weekend anchor so someone can move up to weekdays?

Well, unless someone else is leaving, or they're expanding, it doesn't seem like it. That said, this could just be a formality, posting the listing, even if they go with someone already at the station.

image.thumb.png.7de9a7ac22270c390ec0b75aef574461.png

https://abc7chicago.com/news-anchor-job-abc7-chicago/11924402/

Edited by 24994J

22 minutes ago, 24994J said:

So, here we are, 2 months after Alan Krashesky's retirement, and a job listing has been posted to the station's website. Oh, so they're looking for a weekend anchor so someone can move up to weekdays?

Well, unless someone else is leaving, or they're expanding, it doesn't seem like it. That said, this could just be a formality, posting the listing, even if they go with someone already at the station.

image.thumb.png.7de9a7ac22270c390ec0b75aef574461.png

https://abc7chicago.com/news-anchor-job-abc7-chicago/11924402/

If Ravi isn’t getting a promotion, then we see where this lands…

So, with most big companies they still have to post the job offer even if an internal candidate wants it or interviews. My previous job was like that and you still had to go for all of the formalities even if it was internal.

With that said.. I agree.. I hope Ravi would get the job. What would make sense would to just do Ravi and Karen but I know that would be a huge deal with Cheryl Burton.  Viewers are already use to Ravi and Karen on the weekends  and they are quite the formidable team since they've been anchoring together for forever. 

Another factor that came to mind is maybe some of them don't want the M-F top spot so they're posting to get external candidates. 

I'm not an avid viewer but almost every time that I have watched since Alan retired it was Ravi who has filled in the most followed by Rob Elgas. I know Terrell did around the holidays too. 

Just now, NBC 5 Chicago said:

So, with most big companies they still have to post the job offer even if an internal candidate wants it or interviews. My previous job was like that and you still had to go for all of the formalities even if it was internal.

With that said.. I agree.. I hope Ravi would get the job. What would make sense would to just do Ravi and Karen but I know that would be a huge deal with Cheryl Burton.  Viewers are already use to Ravi and Karen on the weekends  and they are quite the formidable team since they've been anchoring together for forever. 

Another factor that came to mind is maybe some of them don't want the M-F top spot so they're posting to get external candidates. 

I'm not an avid viewer but almost every time that I have watched since Alan retired it was Ravi who has filled in the most followed by Rob Elgas. I know Terrell did around the holidays too. 

Before Alan retired, Ravi would do the 5, 6 & 10 shows M-W, while Mark would do only the 5 on Th-F, with Rob filling in the gaps. Since then, the late-week arrangement remains, though Rob has done the 6, with Ravi only at 5 & 10. In turn, I haven't seen Ravi fill in on the morning show in several months. Liz Nagy has also been getting a lot of slots.

Honestly, if I were in charge, I'd get make permanent the current Monday thru Wednesday schedule. Maybe elevate Rob to 10pm 3rd wheel (which he already is) & give Ravi the 7, making 2 defined weeknight pairings (Ravi & Cheryl, and Rob & Judy), if that's what they're aiming for.

It really would be a shame if they pass Ravi and Rob (for that matter) over for the top spot & bring someone in from the outside.  I think they are both more than capable of handling it, and I believe it has been proven.  I hope the posting is more a formality than anything else, like what was said previous.

I think they should make Ravi and Rob #1 & #2 on weeknights, in whatever newscast slots they want to give them.  Make Mark (and maybe even Terrell) the primary fill-ins, and hire somebody new for the weekends who could also do it.  Stop "beating around the bush," if you will.

And while they are at it, they should (permanently) move Larry Mowry to the 10pm newscast & reassign Cheryl Scott somewhere else.  Lately, whether she has been off or filling in on GMA, we have seen more of Larry at 10pm than her.  Heck, early last week, it was Greg and Phil doing the weeknight newscasts.  Larry, in my opinion, is much more professional and a lot more knowledgeable.  Again, my opinion only.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Greg Dutra has been promoted to the weekend evening shift.

Phil's last weekend is next weekend and then Greg takes over the first weekend in March. Jaisol starts her weekend morning shift next weekend as well. They have been transitioning Greg to Phil's schedule(Sat-Wed) since Jaisol arrived. I wonder if Phil is going to get a weekend send off and then a final send off on his last day?

If you want to get technical about it, Greg handed off his clicker to Jaisol ahead of the full 9am forecast so you could make the case that his last day on the show was her official first. He was a lame duck, a man without a show, for the final 15 minutes. He'll be doing GMA next weekend, so that's why they bid farewell today.

Edited by 24994J

Phil Schwarz's first/main farewell was tonight, though he'll be hanging around til Wednesday. Expect him to forecast at 7pm, on at least one of these 3 nights.

https://abc7chicago.com/when-is-phil-schwarz-retiring-abc-7-chicago-retirement-abc7/12886259/

12886258_022623-wls-phil-img.thumb.jpg.98ba0716bd6a2ab36c63a69f525b2cfb.jpg

Edited by 24994J

For the first time in 4 decades, a male weekend anchor is getting promoted to weekdays. As has been the arrangement for the last few weeks, Rob Elgas gets the 10pm news (he also anchored election night), while Ravi Baichwal has been named co-anchor at 5 and 6pm. I would've given Ravi the 10, but I'm glad they're keeping the tradition of mixing and matching teams, and he'll likely serve in the almost-contributor role that Rob has filled since Cheryl moved to the main chair.

Screenshot_20230302-203710_Facebook.thumb.jpg.604ad169f5404269d2421bb7113f854a.jpg

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 3