The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

That's it for Alan Krashesky. A true professional, class act of a journalist, reporter and anchor. He had the best retirement speech I've ever heard. Who will be his replacement. I prefer someone who can balance out Cheryl Burton. Rob is good for 4pm and 7pm newscasts as I said before. But. he is not top anchor material and pairing him with Cheryl Burton at 10pm is opening the door for the other stations to catch up in ratings. Ravi, Terrell, and Mark Rivera would be my top contenders for the lead anchor spot. Rob Elgas is not fit for the role. but he'll end up getting it and Ravi gets shafted yet again. 

I wouldn't be surprised if his seat is the normal fill-in arrangement til after the holidays. Between the alleged hiring freeze and an already-thin weekend anchor bench, they can go the platoon route til a normal routine returns.

In his nearly 40 years of anchoring, he succeeded Daly at 4, Drury at 5, Kalber at 6, and Magers at 5 & 10, and yet, his shoes might be the hardest, or most unpredictable to fill.

Alan is WLS. WLS is Alan.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

That's it for Alan Krashesky. A true professional, class act of a journalist, reporter and anchor. He had the best retirement speech I've ever heard. Who will be his replacement. I prefer someone who can balance out Cheryl Burton. Rob is good for 4pm and 7pm newscasts as I said before. But. he is not top anchor material and pairing him with Cheryl Burton at 10pm is opening the door for the other stations to catch up in ratings. Ravi, Terrell, and Mark Rivera would be my top contenders for the lead anchor spot. Rob Elgas is not fit for the role. but he'll end up getting it and Ravi gets shafted yet again. 

WGN will likely continue nipping at WLS's heels, but it's highly unlikely any station will be able to overtake them overall.

19 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Once again, congrats to Alan on a great career, a true Chicago legend. With everyone at the desk for the tributes and the after 10pm hugging, are they ever going to go back to normal and stop social distancing? It was nice seeing the closing of the newscasts pre-pandemic again. This is the only station in Chicago that still does the social distancing and has been the more strict with it throughout the pandemic.

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but I’d like to see Hosea Sanders get it (if he wants it, that is.) He had great chemistry with Judy in the mornings and with Cheryl when they did the 7pm on WCIU. Plus, he’s been there for years. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cbs2worksforyou said:

What if they hire from outside? I wonder if they’d do that for a lead. The only time in recent memory was when Ron Magers left channel 5…

I don't think they would hire from the outside for the main anchor spot. But for a weekend spot yes. I would like to have Rob, Ravi, Mark and Terrell all have 1 week each to try out for Alan's spot.

I really don't expect anything til the new year, period. Any of the 4 male anchors just might get late news airtime, but more because of the holidays, and less because of auditioning. Cheryl's level of chemistry with Rob, Ravi, and even Mark, is already known, and if it gets to the point of Terrell filling in, she'd probably already be off, herself.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cbs2worksforyou said:

What if they hire from outside? I wonder if they’d do that for a lead. The only time in recent memory was when Ron Magers left channel 5…

I think it was John Drury they hired from outside for a 2nd stint at 5 & 10 in '84. Ron was hired from outside only for the 5pm, but was promoted within for the 10pm after 4 years in 2002.

With more and more time on the weekend morning show, it's little surprise that Samantha Chatman has been named weekend morning co-anchor. She'll continue in her I-Team duties, which likely means Liz Nagy will remain as a prominent fill-in anchor on weeknights.

https://www.facebook.com/samantha.chatman/posts/pfbid0ii4aR2kKjcAaPxxcFBRba35ETFxSaRFCfgcK8bhNazEhwW5hketnqidHvLiK4Fi7l

Now, to just clean things up on the weeknight roster. This week, they've gone with a very familiar Ravi/Rob/Ravi at 5, 6 & 10.

10 minutes ago, 24994J said:

With more and more time on the weekend morning show, it's little surprise that Samantha Chatman has been named weekend morning co-anchor. She'll continue in her I-Team duties, which likely means Liz Nagy will remain as a prominent fill-in anchor on weeknights.

https://www.facebook.com/samantha.chatman/posts/pfbid0ii4aR2kKjcAaPxxcFBRba35ETFxSaRFCfgcK8bhNazEhwW5hketnqidHvLiK4Fi7l

Now, to just clean things up on the weeknight roster. This week, they've gone with a very familiar Ravi/Rob/Ravi at 5, 6 & 10.

That makes the most sense. With Jason Knowles as the other consumer I-Team reporter, she doesn't have stories everyday. So anchoring weekend mornings and reporting during the week makes most sense. 

For the weeknight roster, I would love Ravi to get it, but I think Rob is going to get it and possibly Liz getting a permanent weeknight anchor spot. Ravi seems to anchor solo half the weekends during the year as Karen is anchoring less and less which is a shame. Karen should be anchoring on weekdays instead of Cheryl Burton.

• 2 weeks later...

I know its holiday season so there's different people filling in however I thought todays pairings were interesting:

4PM: Rob Elgas & Judy Hsu (normal)

5PM: Terrell Brown & Karen Jorden

6PM: Terrell Brown & Judy Hsu

10PM: Terrell Brown and Judy Hsu 

It was Val and Tanya this morning. Diane Pathieu filled in for Roz. Has she previously filled in on traffic before?

I wonder if they'll use this time to test pairings. I've never been a fan of Cheryl Burton. I don't care for her style. However Terrell and Judy was a surprise and a good pairing. 

• Like 2

Diane's been filling in for Roz for about a decade, and I'm not surprised that Terrell and Judy worked well together, as they were paired for 3.5 years.

Karen was also in for Cheryl at 7, so that's normal procedure, and Terrell doing the 5, 6 & 10 is the same shift Ravi would do, when filling in for Alan. What I find interesting, though, is that Rob has been the consistent 6pm anchor since the retirement, so Terrell filling in there, too, raised an eyebrow. I'm going to guess that Ravi is getting time off before his heavy holiday workload, and Rob's contributing report at 10 was prerecorded, so maybe he was unavailable, but I'm guessing that this isn't the last we'll see of evening Terrell. I'm still in the camp that thinks that Baichwal and Elgas will split Krashesky's old duties, but I'll bet Brown gets more weeknight time, to keep him from feeling like he's passed over, in all this. Heck, Tanja has put in a few afternoon shifts, this year, as well.

Rob is social distancing on his newscasts today with Karen. But Ravi and Diane(doing a special report on her husband) sat right next to Karen. If Rob is sick, shouldn't he be at home?

Plus with Greg and Phil off this weekend, Mark McGinnis filled it on both nights with Tracy on Saturday morning and Larry on Sunday morning. Tracy and Larry also did taped weather hits for GMA and tossed to themselves like Greg did before which is funny. Now Cheryl Scott is filling in for Ginger Zee all week on GMA which is ironic since Cheryl replaced Ginger at NBC5. 

6 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Rob is social distancing on his newscasts today with Karen. But Ravi and Diane(doing a special report on her husband) sat right next to Karen. If Rob is sick, shouldn't he be at home?

He was last on Wednesday at 4, and was out the rest of the week. I'm guessing he had a COVID exposure, stayed home the required 5 days, and returned after a negative test and/or no symptoms. He'll probably remained distanced for this week, just to be safe, but is MOSTLY in the clear. Sounds like he's following what is likely company policy.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you all think of Greg's beard? I think it's too much and looks unprofessional, especially on the 7pm newscast when he has no tie. He probably keeps it from going grey,  but it's too much and he looks way better shaven or at least with less facial hair.

Do you think Cheryl and/or Greg are going to go network with Rob Marciano not on GMA weekday and weekend anymore? 

• Concerned 1

On 12/29/2022 at 8:37 PM, WeatherandTraffic said:

What do you all think of Greg's beard? I think it's too much and looks unprofessional, especially on the 7pm newscast when he has no tie. He probably keeps it from going grey,  but it's too much and he looks way better shaven or at least with less facial hair.

Oh, whatever. He looks fine.

• Like 3