The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

1 hour ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Dionne is obviously going to take over the Jim.  My guesses are Ravi, Rob or Mark for Alan, and Karen or Judy for Cheryl.

Hell, I'm not sure Dionne is a lock for the top spot, with Ryan back in the fold. Ravi gets fill-in seniority over Rob, when he's on the schedule, but Ravi is only like 5 years younger than Alan, who could totally reach 50 years, if he wanted to. As for Cheryl's EVENTUAL successor, that might be the biggest variable, as your 2 candidates are age 50+, and could very well leave before Burton. Tanja (and Terrell, for that matter, on the male side) would have to be considered.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

Here's an explanation of Val's new role at 6am. She's presenting 3 to 4 stories in the hour, and doesn't always get introduced or throw back to someone else, thus making her a better-integrated contributing anchor in 2 days than Cheryl Burton was in 15 years at 10pm.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

Ravi gets fill-in seniority over Rob, when he's on the schedule, but Ravi is only like 5 years younger than Alan, who could totally reach 50 years, if he wanted to.

Well damn, I spoke too soon. Alan JUST ANNOUNCED at the end of the 6pm news that he's retiring on Tuesday, November 22nd.

Dammit.

https://abc7chicago.com/12295337/

Edited by 24994J

The fact that Val's presence on the morning show keeps expanding tells me that Terrell can't be ruled out for a promotion, either. I think Rob, Terrell, and Ravi have to all be in the running to move up, in some way. I'm not sure this succession is going to be as clean/obvious as Magers', Yu's, or Brock's were.

7 hours ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Congrats to Alan, Jim and soon Cheryl Burton on their longevities at the station. Speaking of them, Is there a succession in place when they eventually retire/leave. Dionne is obviously going to take over the Jim.  My guesses are Ravi, Rob or Mark for Alan, and Karen or Judy for Cheryl.

The fact I mention this today is surprising. I suspected Jim to retire first out of the 3 I mentioned.

42 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Well damn, I spoke too soon. Alan JUST ANNOUNCED at the end of the 6pm news that he's retiring on Tuesday, November 22nd.

Dammit.

https://abc7chicago.com/12295337/

Good for Alan. He has been a staple in Chicago for 40 years and a true professional. Hope he has the retirement he deserves.

22 minutes ago, 24994J said:

The fact that Val's presence on the morning show keeps expanding tells me that Terrell can't be ruled out for a promotion, either. I think Rob, Terrell, and Ravi have to all be in the running to move up, in some way. I'm not sure this succession is going to be as clean/obvious as Magers', Yu's, or Brock's were.

I don't know if they would want to move Terrell from the morning show, he has great chemistry with everyone there. Ravi, he deserves the weekday promotion, seeing as he's been there the longest and is another true professional. He also fills in at 10pm more than Rob. Rob doesn't have it in him to be the main anchor at the station. He's good for the lighter newscasts like the 4pm and 7pm. Mark Rivera is the youngest and has to be a contender for a weekday spot to. But as he has never anchored the weekday 10pm, it seems unlikely and has been filling in less lately. We shall see.

33 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Ravi, he deserves the weekday promotion, seeing as he's been there the longest and is another true professional.

Ravi has been LONG OVERDUE for a weekday promotion after his first 10 years there everyone was suspecting he’d get the 4pm when Magers was retiring.

7 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

I like Ravi enough and Cheryl needs a really REALLY strong anchor to pair with. Rob is great but not as lead anchor. It’s got to be Ravi or Terrell.

Mark Rivera needs to be put into consideration as well. It would not shock me if they do more anchor shuffles and expand the morning newscast to 4am, with the morning anchors giving up the 11am. 

It seems to me it will be a massive snub if its not given to Ravi.  Cheryl is only 59 so I cant see her going anytime soon. But the only reason i cant see Ravi getting that spot is if he doesnt want it. Maybe he prefers his weekend anchoring and occasional field reporting. But i would like to see him get it. He is more than capable. He certainly has evening news big city gravitas.  We are running low in Chicago. Stefan Holt is a rarity. Ch7 has a some big city anchors and reporters but the bench is not as deep as before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mouseboy33 said:

It seems to me it will be a massive snub if its not given to Ravi

For real. It seems that the male weekend anchors at ABC 7 are forgotten about for promotions apparently.

1 hour ago, R.R. said:

For real. It seems that the male weekend anchors at ABC 7 are forgotten about for promotions apparently.

Jay Levine was the last male weekend anchor to formally reach weeknights, but that was for a brief run¹. Jack Jones, Dick Johnson², Mike Jackson, Jim Rosenfield, and Rob Johnson were all passed over, several times. Weekend weather and sports anchors have also had generally bad luck moving to prime slots³.

The female anchors, however, have almost always been promoted, with Nancy Becker being the lone exception. Karen Jordan could eventually be the 2nd, though.

1. 6pm, 1980-81
  2. Anchored at 6 on an interim basis in the fall of '83, after Flynn's and Weigel's return to sports, and before Kalber's hiring
  3. Krashesky, Rose, and Caplan being the few successes
  4. Diane Allen, Childers, Esposito, Burns, Perez, and Burton
  5. Sunday night co-anchor, 1975-77
Edited by 24994J

Even without Alan, WLS will remain in great position overall in comparison to say WMAQ and WBBM with their current anchor roster.

I could see small changes happening with ‘planning for the future’ being pushed down the line (in another 5-10 years maybe).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

In a wise move to increase exposure, ABC 7 has started live-streaming the 7 o'clock newscasts on YouTube, though they're still not available on demand on the station's website. On the flip side, Overtime with Ryan & Dionne appears to be out of its trial run phase, as they previewed tonight's episode during 5pm sports (the tease and the actual program are both pre-taped), promoted all streaming airings of it, plus they uploaded the whole show online, though nothing on YouTube...except for my posting of the open. 😂

https://abc7chicago.com/abc7-chicago-sports-ryan-chiaverini-dionne-miller-overtime/12303657/

Edited by 24994J

She was the only live reporter using the new flag, this evening, so definitely a slow rollout, for now. Honestly, as someone who has seen a version of the upcoming graphics, even I might get a little discouraged if we don't see them in time for November sweeps. Late October has been a frequent time of change, in recent years, so it'll be worth keeping an eye out, this month.

9 minutes ago, 24994J said:

She was the only live reporter using the new flag, this evening, so definitely a slow rollout, for now. Honestly, as someone who has seen a version of the upcoming graphics, even I might get a little discouraged if we don't see them in time for November sweeps. Late October has been a frequent time of change, in recent years, so it'll be worth keeping an eye out, this month.

It was also seen on a Michelle Gallardo package during the 6pm today, too.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ravi anchored the 5pm today, but not the 10pm. Disappointed, I like Rob Elgas on the 4pm and 7pm, but he's not lead anchor material. Which is the reason Dick Johnson was the main fill in for Rob Stafford over him when Elgas was at NBC5. Ravi deserves the lead anchor spot. If not Ravi, Terrell and Mark would make better lead anchors than Rob Elgas.

It definitely didn't go unnoticed to me that Ravi only did the 5 & 6, when he'd also normally pick up the 10, but I'm not going to read much into it, yet. Ravi would still be my pick for the 10, but if tonight's schedule was how everything shakes out, I wouldn't be mad about it, as long as he gets a weekday spot.

https://abc7chicago.com/meteorologist-job-television-jobs-chicago/12339448/

I just saw they posted a job for meteorologist. Do you think someone is leaving or are they going to have 6 full time meteorologists. If they do 6, Mark McGinnis might be reduced or be done filling in at ABC7. If someone is leaving, who do you think it would be? I hope it's not Tracy or Larry. 

2 hours ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

I just saw they posted a job for meteorologist. Do you think someone is leaving or are they going to have 6 full time meteorologists. If they do 6, Mark McGinnis might be reduced or be done filling in at ABC7. If someone is leaving, who do you think it would be? I hope it's not Tracy or Larry. 

Larry feels least likely, to me. Phil or Tracy (62 & 59, respectively, by my count) could certainly be thinking retirement, and you can never be sure if ABC News doesn't want Greg, or even Cheryl, on a more active basis. The former was in for Ginger, with the A-team, on GMA this morning, while Cheryl was on again, over the weekend. Meanwhile, Mark has work outside of TV, and lives in Wisconsin, so he might not be interested in full-time work, as uprooting his whole family just to move a few dozen miles likely isn't worth the hassle.

Oh, and by the way, @WeatherandTraffic, you mentioned Monday night's anchor arrangement, with Rob jumping Ravi to do the 10 (with Judy)? Ravi was back at 10, last night, and this time Karen took Cheryl's complete shift, doing the late news instead of Judy. Two nights, two different teams.

Edited by 24994J

7 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Larry feels least likely, to me. Phil or Tracy (62 & 59, respectively, by my count) could certainly be thinking retirement, and you can never be sure if ABC News doesn't want Greg, or even Cheryl, on a more active basis. The former was in for Ginger, with the A-team, on GMA this morning, while Cheryl was on again, over the weekend. Meanwhile, Mark has work outside of TV, and lives in Wisconsin, so he might not be interested in full-time work, as uprooting his whole family just to move a few dozen miles likely isn't worth the hassle.

Oh, and by the way, @WeatherandTraffic, you mentioned Monday night's anchor arrangement, with Rob jumping Ravi to do the 10 (with Judy)? Ravi was back at 10, last night, and this time Karen took Cheryl's complete shift, doing the late news instead of Judy. Two nights, two different teams.

Cheryl more likely than Greg since his wife's family is in the Chicagoland area. I can see Phil retiring in the near future. 

Ravi and Karen/Judy/Liz deserve to be on weekdays and be the lead anchor team once Alan retires. Cheryl Burton and Rob Elgas at 10pm seems like a train wreck for me. 

• 2 weeks later...