The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Is there a reason they brought back Mark McGinnis as a fill in. I'm surprised he's filling in again since he lives in Milwaukee area and has his own company. I know it's extra money. but with the gas prices, I'm surprise he said yes.

Despite not appearing for 26 months (March 2020 to last month), he had been pretty adamant on Twitter that he wanted to come back, and he'd be called back. Whether it's the exposure, the workplace, or the money, he clearly thinks the commute is worth his time.

14 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Despite not appearing for 26 months (March 2020 to last month), he had been pretty adamant on Twitter that he wanted to come back, and he'd be called back. Whether it's the exposure, the workplace, or the money, he clearly thinks the commute is worth his time.

Don't get me wrong I like Mark McGinnis. His forecasts are simple and not over the top like Greg, even though Greg is good, he just needs to stand still more and stand a little further from the camera. But with openings in Philly, I think were Cheryl Scott grew up in that area as Cecily Tynan was her inspiration. Wcvb has an opening as Harvey Leonard retired and no one has replaced him officially and another meteorologist is Pregnant. Greg and Cheryl Scott's fiance are from the Boston/Southern New England area. I can see one of them jumping over to Boston or Philly. More likely Greg since he's on the weekends and can get a weekday job in those 2 markets. So if one of them is leaving, bringing back Mark McGinnis makes since.

I'm not going to engage with such random speculation. Mark's return means nothing in relation to the rest of the staff, except that there's going to be some summer vacation time, coming up. Suggesting that other ABC stations' opening make Greg & Cheryl shoo-ins for those jobs is a big reach. You can just admit you don't seem to care for them. There's no shame in it.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I'm not going to engage with such random speculation. Mark's return means nothing in relation to the rest of thestuff, except that there's going to be some summer vacation time, coming up. Suggesting that other ABC stations' opening make Greg & Cheryl shoo-ins for the job is a big reach. You can just admit you don't seem to care for them. There's no shame in it.

Cheryl has gotten a lot better, especially since being paired with Larry on weekdays and more experience so she doesn't bother me. I'm saying with Greg, if he wants to move up more or get a weekday job in a top market, they're are openings. WABC needs at least 1 more also as Sam's schedule is limited and overworking Brittney and Jeff is not a good idea. Plus Cheryl, Greg and Danielle Breezy from Nashville are the most often GMA fill ins, although Danielle and Cheryl are both in too good positions to leave their current jobs. 

Edited by WeatherandTraffic

26 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Alan and Cheryl Burton are off tonight so, Liz Nagy and Judy Hsu did the 5pm while Karen was out in the field. Do you think Karen did not want to anchor tonight or do they have plans for Liz Nagy as she's been filling in more since the digital newscasts were started.

I do feel like they might have some kind of plans for Liz, like even if she's not in play, she might get more weeknight shifts (like we've been seeing), to make up for it. That said, it could be about story selection. I didn't see Karen, but if she's not anchoring, her weekday reporting is during the early evening shows, and not at 10, like Liz. So that means that they can have the 2 women cover 2 stories (Karen now, Liz after the NBA), plus plus still have one anchor (Liz will probably be on 7, then out in the field).

Part of me is just glad to see them play around with scheduling, as the station has been less likely to pair 2 females on the evening shows, in recent years. With the addition of the 7s, it would be silly, in this scenario, to have Rob do all 5 newscasts (3.5 hours), with the 2 females splitting the rest (Judy's 2, Liz's 1.5). Instead, Rob will do 3 hours, Judy will have 2.5, and Liz remains with 1.5, plus late reporting.

The logistics of summer scheduling are so much fun. 🙃

Edited by 24994J

21 minutes ago, 24994J said:

The logistics of summer scheduling are so much fun. 🙃

And with Stacey Baca preparing to sign off in the next few weeks they’re probably looking closely between Jordan and Nagy maybe. Let’s not forget the last female who anchored weekend Mornings on ABC 7 I believe was Judie García. 

1 minute ago, R.R. said:

And with Stacey Baca preparing to sign off in the next few weeks they’re probably looking closely between Jordan and Nagy maybe. Let’s not forget the last female who anchored weekend Mornings on ABC 7 I believe was Judie García. 

It was Judie, but I wouldn't put bets on anyone to assume the position, anytime soon. They just posted the job listing, but that's a typical practice, even if they promote from within...yet they usually don't. I'd still bet that they hire from outside, but again, they have no shortage of internal candidates.

Here's some fuel for the Stacey replacement fire: Samantha Chatman is anchoring with Rob, in for Judy, now at 4. With increased visibility in the evenings (in spots that Baca would normal appear), I'd think Liz and Sam are at least in the mix. None of the regular fill-ins have shared the desk with Alan, so that would be the next big step in determining who's being seen internally as a viable candidate.

• 2 weeks later...

With Cheryl Burton out and Judy anchored from home. Karen Jordan gets a well deserved exposer to anchoring election coverage next to Alan Kreshesky. Karen is so underrated and should be on weekdays instead of Cheryl Burton. I know Karen has nepestism, but she also has talent and is professional unlike Cheryl. Also Rob, who is a good anchor was off tonight and Ravi filled it for him. He's a great anchor, but doing coverage like this isn't his forte. 

Alan was off all last week, likely just vacation time, while Cheryl, Rob, and Judy were on. None of them are in the building now, and all anchors are back to full distancing, so I'm guessing there's an outbreak. Judy likely cleared testing, but will still be quarantined. A similar thing happened earlier in the year, when Alan was at home for a week, then fully-distanced for another week, at the desk.

5 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Alan was off all last week, likely just vacation time, while Cheryl, Rob, and Judy were on. None of them are in the building now, and all anchors are back to full distancing, so I'm guessing there's an outbreak. Judy likely cleared testing, but will still be quarantined. A similar thing happened earlier in the year, when Alan was at home for a week, then fully-distanced for another week, at the desk.

That came into my mind.

23 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

With Cheryl Burton out and Judy anchored from home. Karen Jordan gets a well deserved exposer to anchoring election coverage next to Alan Kreshesky. Karen is so underrated and should be on weekdays instead of Cheryl Burton. I know Karen has nepestism, but she also has talent and is professional unlike Cheryl. Also Rob, who is a good anchor was off tonight and Ravi filled it for him. He's a great anchor, but doing coverage like this isn't his forte. 

Just to clarify, I don't want Cheryl Burton and Rob to leave. Rob's good where he's at and move Cheryl Burton to a lighter newscast.

• 2 weeks later...

Terrell Brown just cursed on the digital newscast. He said "worked their asses off".  They are trying to be like WGN Morning News and it's a better alternative to GMA. Terrell and Val's chemistry if perfect. The Evening Digital newscast is almost unbearable. First of all. Cheryl Burton is on that newscast and I'm sorry. she is ditzy and annoying and should not have that much airtime. Also Phil, Larry and Cheryl Scott look like they don't want to have that digital newscast, it seems like they don't want to be there. Greg is the only Meteorologist that wants to be there. The Morning newscast is perfect, great chemistry and they all want to be there. 

• Like 1

I've actually found the 7pm to be Cheryl Burton's best newscast, because I always thought she'd be better-suited for a looser, more conversational, morning-like format. That said, I still agree about her, overall.

Scott not being in the studio makes the banter difficult, and I think Larry and Phil are okay on the show, but Greg and his chemistry with Rob is definitely the star combo.

As for the morning hour, I don't watch it as much as the early morning and 11am, but I've caught Terrell stopping himself from cursing on the OTA newscasts. It's all about finding a balance. 😂

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I've actually found the 7pm to be Cheryl Burton's best newscast, because I always thought she'd be better-suited for a looser, more conversational, morning-like format. That said, I still agree about her, overall.

Scott not being in the studio makes the banter difficult, and I think Larry and Phil are okay on the show, but Greg and his chemistry with Rob is definitely the star combo.

As for the morning hour, I don't watch it as much as the early morning and 11am, but I've caught Terrell stopping himself from cursing on the OTA newscasts. It's all about finding a balance. 😂

Larry and Phil especially don't like doing the 7pm newscast by the looks of it. Phil has to stay later than he wants. Plus, they abuse Phil when Tracy is off and he has to do Sunday nights and Monday mornings. 

• 1 month later...

What do you guys think of the Digital Newscasts, The morning is great with Terrell, Val, Tracy, Roz plus the fill ins, especially the hot topic conversation in the WCL studio. I really like they include the weather and traffic personal more on the newscast. The 7pm is Cheryl Burtons best newscast as she's more relaxed. Do you think these newscasts are worth it or no? I would rather watch Local in the Morning instead of networks. Also, are they going to end social distancing and go back to normal seating. The newscasts especially the morning and 7pm flow better when everyone is at the desk.

• 4 weeks later...

Like the 7 o'clock shows, this is also unavailable for streaming on-demand, but it debuted today. I didn't see any of it, only finding this on Ryan's Instagram story, but there's no reason why this can't turn into a Sunday night offering, as well, since WLS is the only Chicago station not in the highlight show game.

308464556_773989500486728_1482419874120826954_n.thumb.jpg.f3952842138fc81950b9e7a402e7b643.jpg

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, 24994J said:

Like the 7 o'clock shows, this is also unavailable for streaming on-demand, but it debuted today. I didn't see any of it, only finding this on Ryan's Instagram story, but there's no reason why this can't turn into a Sunday night offering, as well, since WLS is the only Chicago station not in the highlight show game.

308464556_773989500486728_1482419874120826954_n.thumb.jpg.f3952842138fc81950b9e7a402e7b643.jpg

I take this as Ryan finally rejoining the sports team. That’s good to see. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it move OTA, myself.

Also, WBBM doesn’t have a Sunday sports show, either.

50 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Also, WBBM doesn’t have a Sunday sports show, either.

The last ~20 minutes of both their Saturday and Sunday 10pm newscasts are billed as 'Sports Xtra,' lasting multiple segments. Sports director Marshall Harris even comes in for the Sunday show, now working Su-Th. It feels a little like KCBS/KCAL's 'Sports Central.'

• 2 weeks later...

Last week was Samantha Chatman's last week on the morning show as she is going to do more investigated reports. It's not surprising as she had been appearing less often on the morning show. Also, as of yesterday, Val Warner is NOW a contributing/third anchor to the 6am hour in addition to the 7am digital newscast. It seems like Liz Nagy might be getting the weekend AM spot as she's appeared the most often next to Mark Rivera. 

Edited by WeatherandTraffic

19 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Also, as of yesterday, Val Warner is not contributing/third anchor to the 6am hour in addition to the 7am digital newscast.

Is...not? She was before?

19 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

It seems like Liz Nagy might be getting the weekend AM spot as she's appeared the most often next to Mark Rivera. 

In the 13.5 months between Ben Bradley's exit and Mark's hiring, Diane Pathieu filled in easily 90% of the time, and she didn't get the job, so I'm not assuming anything. Either way, though, the anchor job listing is off the website, so they are either content with the current mostly Liz/some Cate/a little Sam arrangement, or an announcement is coming.

- - -

MEANWHILE, today marks 40 years for Alan Krashesky. Jim Rose hit that milestone, earlier this year (they both got recognition for 35 years in 2017 around Alan's anniversary), and Cheryl Burton will reach 30 years later this month.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjS9focLI6N/

Edited by 24994J

28 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Is...not? She was before?

In the 13.5 months between Ben Bradley's exit and Mark's hiring, Diane Pathieu filled in easily 90% of the time, and she didn't get the job, so I'm not assuming anything. Either way, though, the anchor job listing is off the website, so they are either content with the current mostly Liz/some Cate/a little Sam arrangement, or an announcement is coming.

- - -

MEANWHILE, today marks 40 years for Alan Krashesky. Jim Rose hit that milestone, earlier this year (they both got recognition for 35 years in 2017 around Alan's anniversary), and Cheryl Burton will reach 30 years later this month.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjS9focLI6N/

I meant to say "Val Warner is NOW a contributing/third anchor for 6am hour in addition to the 7am digital newscast". Also, Liz, Cate and Sam are all great anchors/reporters so I'm cool with any of those 3 getting the spot. Congrats to Alan, Jim and soon Cheryl Burton on their longevities at the station. Speaking of them, Is there a succession in place when they eventually retire/leave. Dionne is obviously going to take over the Jim.  My guesses are Ravi, Rob or Mark for Alan, and Karen or Judy for Cheryl.