The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

3 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I think your dislike of him is weirdly deep.

I like him, well enough. Probably not the best we've ever seen, but I'd love for you to give me some hard evidence of how he's a "shitty" meteorologist. What in his basic scientific job performance is specifically "shitty"?

He spends half of his forecast bantering and laughing and he stands WAY to close to the camera in both places they do weather and he can't stop moving from one side of the screen to the other unlike Tracy, Phil, Cheryl and Larry where there more serious and stand on one side of the screen.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, 24994J said:

I think your dislike of him is weirdly deep.

I like him, well enough. Probably not the best we've ever seen, but I'd love for you to give me some hard evidence of how he's a "shitty" meteorologist. What in his basic scientific job performance is specifically "shitty"?

Now that I had all afternoon to think about, he's not a "shitty meteorologist" and I overreacted.

9 hours ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

He spends half of his forecast bantering and laughing and he stands WAY to close to the camera in both places they do weather and he can't stop moving from one side of the screen to the other unlike Tracy, Phil, Cheryl and Larry where there more serious and stand on one side of the screen.

He knows his stuff, I would like to see him improve in the areas I mentioned instead of complaining about him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Have you guys seen Mark Giangreco's twitter. He keeps tweeting and retweeting other people bashing Cheryl Burton and Jim Rose. I know he has beef with Cheryl Burton, but Jim Rose. Make me think he actually called her "ditsy." He also praises Dionne miller saying that she deserves the top sports spot. What do you guys think?

10 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Have you guys seen Mark Giangreco's twitter. He keeps tweeting and retweeting other people bashing Cheryl Burton and Jim Rose. I know he has beef with Cheryl Burton, but Jim Rose. Make me think he actually called her "ditsy." He also praises Dionne miller saying that she deserves the top sports spot. What do you guys think?

Mark has hinted that he and Jim never had a particularly close bond, and with Jim's close relationship with Cheryl, and being the one to benefit from Mark's dismissal, I'm not too surprised that there's no love lost between them.

What do you guys think about the digital newscasts. I like Val and Terrell's chemistry in the morning and it seems like her, Samantha and Diane are the main fill in's for Terrell and Tanja. You don't really see Karen, Ravi, Mark and Stacey filling in for them anymore. The evening newscast is good too, but the rotation of meteorologists is weird. but it gives Phil and Greg more on air time during the week.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:21 PM, 24994J said:

Mark has hinted that he and Jim never had a particularly close bond, and with Jim's close relationship with Cheryl, and being the one to benefit from Mark's dismissal, I'm not too surprised that there's no love lost between them.

Mark is going out kind of sad. At this point, move on. Even though "ditsy" might not seem enough to be fired over however, we do not know the working relationships he had at WLS with his colleagues. Some of our favorite On-Air Talent can be difficult behind the scenes. Also I don't feel as station management protected Cheryl enough. It's been  what... 2 years? I always felt stationed management seized on the opportunity to skim off some budget by getting rid of Mark. Also I wonder from a competitor standpoint, is Mark hirable? Would WMAQ, WGN, WFLD or WBBM would want to take a chance on him with these antics? (In this day and age, it's probable) 

13 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Mark is going out kind of sad. At this point, move on. Even though "ditsy" might not seem enough to be fired over however, we do not know the working relationships he had at WLS with his colleagues. Some of our favorite On-Air Talent can be difficult behind the scenes. Also I don't feel as station management protected Cheryl enough. It's been  what... 2 years? I always felt stationed management seized on the opportunity to skim off some budget by getting rid of Mark. Also I wonder from a competitor standpoint, is Mark hirable? Would WMAQ, WGN, WFLD or WBBM would want to take a chance on him with these antics? (In this day and age, it's probable) 

Mark made it clear in multiple interviews he’s done with the biz, in addition to that he sent his message across stating that he will NEVER forgive her and forget what went down.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, R.R. said:

Mark made it clear in multiple interviews he’s done with the biz, in addition to that he sent his message across stating that he will NEVER forgive her and forget what went down.

WOW...I did not know he said that. Oh well! 

• Like 1

If Mark were 10 years younger, I think he wouldn't be so negative about the industry, or at least more open to employment options, but a few weeks from turning 70, there's little motivation to go back to the similar grind of nightly sports or daily radio. Remember, his contract would've expired later this year, and he was pretty insistent that he would've retired, at that point.

1 hour ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

With Larry and Cheryl Scott both off, Phil is doing all the evening shows, very underused meteorologist, wished his talents weren't wasted on the weekends, like Karen and Ravi. 

Yeah, it's crazy how the weekend shift at WLS has been a career dead-end for as long as I can remember. They simply have never been a station to promote the weekend crew to any weekday shifts. Now, more than ever, I understand why Rob Johnson jumped ship to WBBM back in the 2000s.

1 hour ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

With Larry and Cheryl Scott both off, Phil is doing all the evening shows, very underused meteorologist, wished his talents weren't wasted on the weekends, like Karen and Ravi. 

I've been saying for years that between the chemistry, quality, and more breathable format, the weekend evening team has been their best and most consistent.

Just now, Spring Rubber said:

Yeah, it's crazy how the weekend shift at WLS has been a career dead-end for as long as I can remember. They simply have never been a station to promote the weekend crew to any weekday shifts. Now, more than ever, I understand why Rob Johnson jumped ship to WBBM back in the 2000s.

Honestly, that really only truly applies to the male anchors. Outside of Nancy Becker in the mid-70s, every female evening weekender has made it to weekdays (Childers, Esposito, Burns, Perez, and Burton). Sports and weather are spotty, but nearly all have had long careers in Chicago...and I'll save you that list.

• 3 weeks later...

https://abc7chicago.com/abc7-eyewitness-news-chicago-anchor-stacey-baca/11808892/?ex_cid=TA_WLS_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3CWj6Af2WiaM-dIahtHjzlGeQzqpzMQrY-smti2wCoE-XphzSAsAOVWSI

Confirmed

45 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

I think Stacey Baca is leaving the station, I didn't see her announcement but she said 2 more months and Mark and Greg were saying that they were going to miss her. 

10 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I guess Diane Pathieu replaces her, then?

Those with the most fill-in hours, in order, would be Diane, Liz, and Samantha (who seems least likely, as she's entrenched on the morning show), if they don't go outside, of course.

7 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I guess Diane Pathieu replaces her, then?

I don't think she will want to go back to weekends, she's a weekday morning reporter/fill in anchor/fill in traffic.  If they go the solo route with Mark Rivera. which is highly unlikely , then they have to cut down on the weekend morning newscast. For a while they will probably use Samantha Chatman, Tanja, Diane, Liz, Karen(if needed and Val(if needed) until they find a permanent replacement.

1 minute ago, 24994J said:

Those with the most fill-in hours, in order, would be Diane, Liz, and Samantha (who seems least likely, as she's entrenched on the morning show), if they don't go outside, of course.

Diane hardly fills in on the weekends anymore since she got promoted to weekday reporter and fill in on the weekday morning show.

15 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they went the route of the other stations in town and had Ravi anchor solo 

Mark, not Ravi.

23 hours ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

I don't think she will want to go back to weekends, she's a weekday morning reporter/fill in anchor/fill in traffic.  If they go the solo route with Mark Rivera. which is highly unlikely , then they have to cut down on the weekend morning newscast. For a while they will probably use Samantha Chatman, Tanja, Diane, Liz, Karen(if needed and Val(if needed) until they find a permanent replacement.

Diane hardly fills in on the weekends anymore since she got promoted to weekday reporter and fill in on the weekday morning show.

Weekday reporting for Diane was obviously a promotion from weekend reporting, and back-up traffic certainly gives her the fast track to succeeding Roz when she retires, but a permanent anchor spot trumps all of that, even if it's on the weekend. That's the foot in the door to weeknight reporting on the other 3 days, and weeknight fill-in anchoring. That's why I wouldn't count Diane out, or anyone else, for that matter.

...Again, if they go with an internal candidate, which they tend to not do.

Edited by 24994J
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Mark McGinnis returned to ABC7 today after a 2 year hiatus due to the pandemic filling in for Greg. They must be short staffed bc, Cheryl is doing Weekend GMA for the second weekend in a row and Tracy Butler is MIA during the sweeps as well as Tanja and Terrell. 

Tracy was off all week, so MAYBE that was pre-planned time off. Roz was broadcasting from home, but appeared at a charity event and her Silver Circle induction, so that was probably a precaution, so she could stay healthy for those occasions. Terrell was on on Monday and maybe Tuesday, and when Ravi filled in the next day, he mentioned getting the call fairly late the night before, as if unexpected. Tanja no longer appeared when Terrell did, and Val filled in for her, until she was out on Friday, doing Windy City Weekend from home. Sam was out all week, but returned Saturday to anchor for Stacey.

TL;DR: COVID outbreak seems likely amongst some of the morning team.

56 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Tracy was off all week, so MAYBE that was pre-planned time off. Roz was broadcasting from home, but appeared at a charity event and her Silver Circle induction, so that was probably a precaution, so she could stay healthy for those occasions. Terrell was on on Monday and maybe Tuesday, and when Ravi filled in the next day, he mentioned getting the call fairly late the night before, as if unexpected. Tanja no longer appeared when Terrell did, and Val filled in for her, until she was out on Friday, doing Windy City Weekend from home. Sam was out all week, but returned Saturday to anchor for Stacey.

TL;DR: COVID outbreak seems likely amongst some of the morning team.

Wouldn't Mark, Stacey, Ravi, Greg, Phil, Karen and Val need to be quarantined since Val sat next to Terrell and sat in Tanja's seat Monday and Tuesday, Ravi sat next to Val Wednesday morning, Karen Wednesday at 11am,   Mark sat next to Val Thursday morning, and next to Stacey Thursday at 11am, Friday and Today. Phil did Monday through Wednesday and Greg did Thursday through Saturday. Unless the anchors and Meterologists can't interact with each other as here and WABC has still one of the most strict Covid Guidelines.

50 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Wouldn't Mark, Stacey, Ravi, Greg, Phil, Karen and Val need to be quarantined since Val sat next to Terrell and sat in Tanja's seat Monday and Tuesday, Ravi sat next to Val Wednesday morning, Karen Wednesday at 11am,   Mark sat next to Val Thursday morning, and next to Stacey Thursday at 11am, Friday and Today. Phil did Monday through Wednesday and Greg did Thursday through Saturday. Unless the anchors and Meterologists can't interact with each other as here and WABC has still one of the most strict Covid Guidelines.

Ehhhhhhh, who knows? Maybe they're all negative. If the regulars are still off tomorrow, then somethings up.

12 hours ago, 24994J said:

Ehhhhhhh, who knows? Maybe they're all negative. If the regulars are still off tomorrow, then somethings up.

WPVI had similar absences (except theirs were spread across the entire day, in some instances 7 of the 8 weekday anchors being off) a few weeks ago for two straight weeks. 

51 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

WPVI had similar absences (except theirs were spread across the entire day, in some instances 7 of the 8 weekday anchors being off) a few weeks ago for two straight weeks. 

Yeah, didn't Matt O'Donnell anchor like all but 1 single broadcast over a span of a few days?