The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I believe Dionne's latest contract is for 4 years, signed after and obviously lasting longer than the guys' 3 years each. Jim could certainly seek another contract, but 2 years is a long time, and he may not like the next dollar amount. In the meantime, they can certainly get by with 2 anchors, especially since they use the services of ESPN 1000's beat reporters, Jeff Dickerson (Bears) and Jesse Rogers (MLB). That said, they'd be wise to consider bringing on a young-ish reporter to fill in the gaps, but again, no rush.

I was thinking about it, and I can't think of the last time someone left the weeknight team without a replacement being named. Anytime anyone has retired or been fired in the last 30 years, a succession plan has been almost immediately announced or established by the time the position is opened.

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

I believe Dionne's latest contract is for 4 years, signed after and obviously lasting longer than the guys' 3 years each. Jim could certainly seek another contract, but 2 years is a long time, and he may not like the next dollar amount. In the meantime, they can certainly get by with 2 anchors, especially since they use the services of ESPN 1000's beat reporters, Jeff Dickerson (Bears) and Jesse Rogers (MLB). That said, they'd be wise to consider bringing on a young-ish reporter to fill in the gaps, but again, no rush.

I was thinking about it, and I can't think of the last time someone left the weeknight team without a replacement being named. Anytime anyone has retired or been fired in the last 30 years, a succession plan has been almost immediately announced or established by the time the position is opened.

What was the title they used on air for Mark if any? 

13 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

What was the title they used on air for Mark if any? 

Never on-air, but all media and stuff would refer to him as Sports Director, if that's what you mean.

26 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Never on-air, but all media and stuff would refer to him as Sports Director, if that's what you mean.

That’s what I was looking for. So for on air purposes he was just Mark Giangreco with Sports or something to that effect?

5 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

That’s what I was looking for. So for on air purposes he was just Mark Giangreco with Sports or something to that effect?

Yup. Heck, Jerry Taft was only referred to as Chief Meteorologist in opens from 2013 to his retirement, and on-air in a similar time frame.

Putting aside the flack he's getting over the Giangreco firing, I feel like GM John Idler made a point of heavily promoting the top anchor team when he came in in 2012, more than his predecessor did, especially since many were nearing retirement. Emily Barr, the last boss, would elevate the profiles of the broader news team, since much of her time at the station was spent balancing an incredibly stable roster of veteran weekday talent. Idler has moved to that mentality in recent years, now that he's fielding a much younger roster of talent. Because of that, weekend teams got promos for the first time in my memory, longer 10pm spots feature not just the anchors, but also the regular reporters at that time, and Larry and Cheryl appear in promos together, with no one inheriting Jerry's title.

Long story short, ABC 7 has always done a good job of promoting not just the principle anchor team, so it's no surprise that they rarely threw around titles for weather and sports.

23 hours ago, 24994J said:

While that seems like a shameless plug, he is actually a loyal customer of that restaurant, and the "Giangreco table" is a real thing, so it's all very on-brand. 😂

At least he seems to be taking it in stride.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2021 at 11:45 PM, Georgie56 said:

Certainly didn't take long for Mark to resurface. 

Ehh...gotta do something to get out of the house now. I wonder if he'll open up shop for a podcast. I cant see any station in Chicago picking him up ATM (maybe WGN?).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, he's no spring chicken, but Schanowski is easily the best available sports anchor in Chicago, so this is an excellent pickup, even if it's just for a slot here and there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/3/2020 at 3:10 AM, 24994J said:

So, this is new. The recent morning promo look (the shades of blue and yellow, minus any GMA rings) has made it into a new rejoin, debuting on December 23rd. I believe this only airs during the 4:30 half hour (I know not at 6, but unsure about at 5), which is odd, as Samantha Chatman doesn't appear that early. Either way, this replaces the talentless rejoins that launched after Tanja was promoted in 2016. It feels like a very soft launch, so I'm not even going to post it to YouTube until it shows up later in the show.

A bit of a bump, but Eyewitness News THIS MORNING appears to be making a return. For a couple of years of referring to the 4:30-7am block as 'In The Morning,' the quick rejoin you see above has been changed to what you see below. A bumper that airs at the end of each hour, previewing the next, has also been changed to the classic branding. Updated promos use 'This Morning,' as well. Hopefully this all carries over to the new opens/graphics. For the record, the 4:30, 5, and 6am-branded opens remain in place.

1972870031_bandicam2021-08-2610-56-46-134.thumb.png.d6aed1d32458139fa478246e531a8a08.png1872159792_bandicam2021-08-2611-19-26-299.thumb.png.bce2af8662ad32f9e6528a04a25e72a6.png

Edited by 24994J

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...