The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

(The post above this one came in as I was writing this.)

I DEFINITELY don't want to speculate too much, but thinking about some things he talks about on ESPN1000 and then these few tweets, I'm left to wonder if he's dealing with some "self improvement," if you will. He's been vocal about how hard some deaths of friends hit him this last year (including Jerry), he's been very self-conscious about his weight and eating habits, and not being able to see his family hasn't helped. Whatever he's up to or dealing with, I hope he gets right, and I'd love to see him back, when he can.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 4

If social media reaction is ANY indicator, this might blow up in Cheryl's face more than Mark's. Some of Mark's previous female co-anchors are also seemingly standing by him.

156453998_265773461781233_213754299481421200_n.thumb.jpg.996bb35a29c90e8207fd49c927e39d00.jpg

156902438_236956771471538_6742934049200163516_n.thumb.jpg.076aca920313034493e20b46f7013f77.jpg

Meanwhile, I record the 10 o'clock news on most nights, and actually have the clip. While the mention of Cheryl is shoehorned in to an unrelated bit, and proper joke structure would've included a line about himself or Alan, he does not directly call her a ditz. Maybe that's merely a technicality, but she's entirely wrong if she thinks he's only ever picked on her. Ron, Carol, Joan, Jerry, Kathy, and I'm sure John Coleman back in the day were all targets of his ribbing.

There is likely more to this. Whether it was the last straw for Burton, or others in the newsroom have come forward, who knows, but that comment alone does not seem like enough to warrant a 5-week+ suspension and possible termination.

Edited by alex979
  • Like 1

We don't know what type of working relationship (or lack thereof) Cheryl and Mark have, so while I agree the comment in question doesn't seem like a big deal, WE don't know the full story (and may never will).

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

He could’ve technically been referring to the other Cheryl. It does seem like a bit of an overreaction and not warranting a 5-week suspension. 

Technically, it’s irrelevant which Cheryl he was referring to. Having recently completed yearly harassment training at my job, a lot of things (however big/small, legal or illegal) can fall under the umbrella of workplace harassment.

While I’m not suggesting anything about anyone here, I’m not surprised by the suspension (or possible termination) in this case.

Edited by jase

A lot of shade is coming to light. I was thinking the GM was trying to just cover it up, before outside sources (Feder) started to bring it out. IMO I wonder how people would've reacted to this if MG had said that to former anchor Diann Burns during her tenure at WLS.

Edited by R.R.
Not Enough Detail

13 hours ago, jase said:

We don't know what type of working relationship (or lack thereof) Cheryl and Mark have, so while I agree the comment in question doesn't seem like a big deal, WE don't know the full story (and may never will).

I’m gonna guess a lack thereof. But if she doesn’t realize she’s a ditz then she’s the only one which would be appropriate I suppose. Still not the most professional thing to do on his part. My guess would be that this was the straw that broke the camels back. 

13 hours ago, alex979 said:

There is likely more to this. Whether it was the last straw for Burton, or others in the newsroom have come forward, who knows, but that comment alone does not seem like enough to warrant a 5-week+ suspension and possible termination.

That was my conclusion as well. Even though it was a "harmless" joke, there could have been some comments or actions taken place behind the scenes we are not privy to yet. Even if we disagree with the suspension, I would not go into attack mode on Cheryl. Technically it wasn't our business to began with. 

19 hours ago, alex979 said:

It was a joke I honestly think management is looking for a excuse to get rid of a million dollar salary.

Man the more days go on without WLS saying anything is just creating so much backlash on all social platforms. Mostly hate/insults for Cheryl. Granted we REALLY don't know what has happened and it isn't any of our business however all of this reporting sure is fueling this firestorm. You'd think the station at least would issue a statement since there has been so much backlash to try and set the record straight instead all of the silence is fueling more gossip/truth.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Man the more days go on without WLS saying anything is just creating so much backlash on all social platforms. Mostly hate/insults for Cheryl. Granted we REALLY don't know what has happened and it isn't any of our business however all of this reporting sure is fueling this firestorm. You'd think the station at least would issue a statement since there has been so much backlash to try and set the record straight instead all of the silence is fueling more gossip/truth.

Any statement they released would only make matters worse because it would be very difficult (if not impossible) for the statement to not favor one person/position and/or hide whether or not management is/was culpable in any way if this matter is as serious as it appears. 

Some people (for unknown reasons) have it out for Cheryl, so no matter the outcome, in their eyes, she would be at fault. 

The easiest thing would be for Mark to retire (this was likely his last contract with WLS anyway) and salvage his otherwise solid reputation/career. 

11 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

Could there be more to this story than what being told?

Possibly, but Mark's past suspensions over other things and alleged tensions with Cheryl made this a perfect storm.

28 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

I wonder if they would consider adding Ryan to split the evening newscasts with Jim Rose. With ABC stations making cuts, it would make sense to utilize him a bit more.

I think they would only use Ryan to cover if someone was off. These days, they can get away with 2 sports anchors for the time being.

Edited by jase

So Jim Rose is signed until 2023 it looks like when he will be 70. I’m gonna take a chance and guess it’s his last contract. Is there any chance Dionne Miller is in line to get the top job beyond that?

Edited by ns8401

5 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

So Jim Rose is signed until 2023 it looks like when he will be 70. I’m gonna take a chance and guess it’s his last contract. Is there any chance Dionne Miller is in line to get the top job beyond that?

She has to be. I do think Rose will try to work beyond 70, however.

Edited by Georgie56