The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, R.R. said:

I remember being an infant and recognizing the colors of this talent bump back in the day! Took years to find this!

This isn't cobbled together? The afternoon theme on a 10pm open, anchored by Judy Hsu?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 24994J said:

This isn't cobbled together? The afternoon theme on a 10pm open, anchored by Judy Hsu?

Rob Johnson and Judy Hsu were filling in for Ron and Diann, it was a Friday night so Judy wasn't anchoring her morning shift that day. I'm surprised it wasn't the royal WLS-TV evening theme.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

'Eyewitness Forum' was ABC 7's weekly news/politics show for decades, and it evolved into 'NewsViews' when a Sunday morning newscast debuted in the 90's, lasting about 15 minutes at the end of the broadcast. As of November 22nd, it was rebranded as 'Our Chicago,' the name used for several segments this past year, mostly regarding race, but now expanding to cover community causes, action, and awareness. Judy Hsu remains host.

https://abc7chicago.com/society/our-chicago-feeding-those-in-need/8129496/

8174481_112220-wls-our-chicago-graphic-i

• 4 weeks later...

With so many other projects, and the ongoing restaurant struggles, I felt like this was coming. Glad to see an amicable split, but his work will be sorely missed. As nice as it would be, I'd imagine he won't be replaced, with any food segments being folded into Windy City Live, and especially Local-ish.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hours later...

Anyway, I guess I'm not entirely surprised, as Janet's role had been dialed back in the last couple years. 190 North hasn't been produced in a year and a half, hasn't gotten many interviews, unlike her counterparts in NY and LA, and recent features that would be covered by someone in her position never quite well to her style. New Years Eve was basically her highest-profile work of the year, and when budgets need to be balanced, her contributions probably weren't warranting the salary. It's a cruel irony, though, that after all the farewells she presented in recent years, she won't get one.

Meanwhile, Giangreco has been off the air since the end of January, with basically no explanation. I recall him mentioning during his last ESPN 1000 appearance that he was going to be off for a period, but it didn't sound like anything out of the ordinary. Neither he nor the station are saying anything, but it was enough for Feder to mention it the other day, especially since we're entering the final week of sweeps. This, paired with the other two exits this week (though I maintain that Steve's leaving is convenient for both parties, and totally amicable) has the armchair media analysts speculating.

Also, Friday was Dolinsky's final midday piece, and he got a very nice send-off by the 11am crew, with cameos from some of the biggest names on the Chicago restaurant scene, and the former anchor of the daytime newscast. His last report is tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/tanjababich/posts/3832588693495933

Edited by 24994J

This probably explains why we didn't see Janet so often the last few years. Feder dropped this this morning:

Her surprise post followed the station’s decision not to renew her contract as a freelance employee. Her status as a full-time employee ended in 2013 after ABC 7 cancelled her long-running weekly show “190 North.”

18 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Right after Feder wrote that piece about Giangreco being AWOL for several weeks now with no explanation. Could these two things be related?

Doubtful. Dolinsky and Davies being cut are likely cost-savings moves. Whatever is going on with Giangreco seems to be much bigger. 

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I can't make heads or tails of this one. Mark's actually been more active on social media than normal, conversing with both civilians and colleagues about anything and everything. One tweet stood out.

Screenshot_20210301-120708_Twitter.jpg.89bc165a68b8f1703df6b7317892ad24.jpg

Granted, it's really only referring to the radio side, but it's like the only time he's addressed his absence.

If he were taking time off, both sides would say so. If he was being fired, you'd think they wouldn't still be running the normal 5 & 10 promos with him in it. Also, why would such a process take so long?

There are 2 other options that crossed my mind. Somebody could explain this, or even dismiss it, but could he be being furloughed, in some way? Forced time off to save some money right now. Or, and I definitely wouldn't want this to be the case, but could he be sick? It took Krashesky personally addressing his month-long absence after surgery last year for it to go public, with the station relaying the message only after that. Whether COVID or something else, it can't be ruled out. That would certainly explain why he's still in the promotional fold, despite being in some kind of limbo, with no one really talking about it.

Edited by 24994J