The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

So, this is new. The recent morning promo look (the shades of blue and yellow, minus any GMA rings) has made it into a new rejoin, debuting on December 23rd. I believe this only airs during the 4:30 half hour (I know not at 6, but unsure about at 5), which is odd, as Samantha Chatman doesn't appear that early. Either way, this replaces the talentless rejoins that launched after Tanja was promoted in 2016. It feels like a very soft launch, so I'm not even going to post it to YouTube until it shows up later in the show.

Edited by 24994J

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

So, this is new. The recent morning promo look (the shades of blue and yellow, minus any GMA rings) has made it into a new rejoin, debuting on December 23rd. I believe this only airs during the 4:30 half hour (I know not at 6, but unsure about at 5), which is odd, as Samantha Chatman doesn't appear that early. Either way, this replaces the talentless rejoins that launched after Tanja was promoted in 2016. It feels like a very soft launch, so I'm not even going to post it to YouTube until it shows up later in the show.

It looks like something you’d use for a bumper promo in the middle of a set of commercials more than a rejoin... quicker and easier than a full blown rejoin I guess.

On 1/3/2020 at 10:29 AM, Georgie56 said:

Makes me wonder if they're going back to one title for the morning show instead of "ABC 7 Eyewitness News at 4:30, 5, etc.".

I'd welcome it, though I'd prefer the 'This Morning' branding, most of all.

Meanwhile, Liz Nagy filled in for both Ravi and Karen last Saturday night. There's no set regular fill-in when they're both off, as it's so infrequent, so that's no big deal, but I was surprised to see Liz anchoring with Ravi tonight. The NFL game was not in primetime on ABC, but apparently they were ready to go on at 6:30 (which got scrubbed), so maybe that was the reason. I can't think of the last time, if ever, he got a co-anchor on a weekend, in Karen's absence. Karen had a few, during her 2 pregnancies, of course.

Edited by 24994J

40 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I'd welcome it, though I'd prefer the 'This Morning' branding, most of all.

Meanwhile, Liz Nagy filled in for both Ravi and Karen last Saturday night. There's no set regular fill-in when they're both off, as it's so infrequent, so that's no big deal, but I was surprised to see Liz anchoring with Ravi tonight. The NFL game was not in primetime on ABC, but apparently they were ready to go on at 6:30 (which got scrubbed), so maybe that was the reason. I can't think of the last time, if ever, he got a co-anchor on a weekend, in Karen's absence. Karen had a few, during her 2 pregnancies, of course.

I’ll second the “This Morning” branding rather than “In The Morning” which sounds like its going to happen tomorrow rather than now...

My, Ravi is rather outnumbered on the set tonight isn’t he? 

1 minute ago, ns8401 said:

My, Ravi is rather outnumbered on the set tonight isn’t he? 

My mom said it was "Skinny White Women in Black Night...and Ravi" on ABC 7. 🤣

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Veteran (semi-retired) reporter Paul Meincke is recovering out west after a trip to the ER resulted in him having heart surgery. He'll be recovering away from home til at least April.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/01/24/former-abc-7-reporter-paul-meincke-recovering-heart-surgery/

Edited by 24994J

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In a continuing quest for sports coverage and lighter content, Mark Giangreco is dusting off some old bits he used to do in the 90's. Welcome back to Make Mark Do Your Job.

https://abc7chicago.com/entertainment/video-vault-make-mark-do-your-job-is-back/6019582/

Edited by 24994J

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In an effort to not get too cute with fill-in assignments, and to keep anchors only (and Giangreco) in the studio, Karen Jordan got called in early to fill in for Stacey, which I believe to be a first in her 17 years working weekend evenings.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the good folks at channel 7 pissed off viewers, blurring the faces of white gun holders intimidating protesters at a NW In diana march.  After the backlash, WLS deleted their social media posting of the tape, and replaced it with the raw footage. More from Scott Jones: 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/6/8/blurred-lines-in-chicago

• 1 month later...