The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

57 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

You say you want weather and traffic in the morning... what you really mean is consumer issues you are too tired to think about or comprehend... what a goofy strategy..

I don't get it either. Consumer reporting is more for evening/late-night newscasts rather than morning newscasts. Hell, if you want to do consumer reporting in the morning, do it post-7am (which WLS can't do due do a certain GMA).

Edited by NEOMatrix

Here's a new one. Ever heard of someone making their new station debut at the network level? Greg Dutra is doing some work for ABC News, including doing hits on Nightline this week, and Juju Chang introduced him as being from "our powerhouse Chicago station, WLS," marking his first appearance as an ABC 7 employee.

Hell hath frozen over. The weekend teams have promos! The evening crew shot theirs today, while the weekend anchors have had one airing for more than week, though that might be redone once Greg Dutra starts at the end of the month.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

Okay, follow me here, for a sec. By obtaining the CW, there was no more room for WLS newscasts on WCIU. The relationship between WGN and the CW soured because of sports pre-emptions. Consider all those things together, then throw out all logic, because ABC 7 is moving next Tuesday night's Cubs game (one of their last) to WCIU, knocking out whatever they're running that night. ABC 7 claims it's so they can air the Bachelor in Paradise finale, but I call bullshit. This surely has everything to do with their looming blackout on AT&T/DirecTV. This will be WCIU's first baseball broadcast in about 5 years, when WGN moved their overflow broadcasts from The U to My50.

https://abc7chicago.com/sports/program-note-cubs-game-on-sept-17-to-air-on-cw26-bachelor-in-paradise-to-air-on-abc7/5534784/

5535074_091219-wls-cubs-bachelor-correct

Edited by 24994J

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Okay, follow me here, for a sec. By obtaining the CW, there was no more room for WLS newscasts on WCIU. The relationship between WGN and the CW soured because of sports pre-emptions. Consider all those things together, then throw out all logic, because ABC 7 is moving next Tuesday night's Cubs game (one of their last) to WCIU, knocking out whatever they're running that night. ABC 7 claims it's so they can air the Bachelor in Paradise finale, but I call bullshit. This surely has everything to do with their looming blackout on AT&T/DirecTV. This will be WCIU's first baseball broadcast in about 5 years, when WGN moved their overflow broadcasts from The U to My50.

https://abc7chicago.com/sports/program-note-cubs-game-on-sept-17-to-air-on-cw26-bachelor-in-paradise-to-air-on-abc7/5534784/

5535074_091219-wls-cubs-bachelor-correct

Seems like a one-off situation with the game airing on WCIU. Given that the new season starts soon on ABC, MNF has already begun, etc... I doubt a blackout would last long (if it happens at all). Way too much at stake. 

54 minutes ago, jase said:

Seems like a one-off situation with the game airing on WCIU. Given that the new season starts soon on ABC, MNF has already begun, etc... I doubt a blackout would last long (if it happens at all). Way too much at stake. 

Of course it's a one-off...at least for now. Outside of the summer game show slate this Sunday night and the aforementioned Bachelor show, the only notable programming on ABC in the next week is the premiere of Dancing with the Stars this Monday. Most of the the rest of the fall shows debut the following week. I'm pretty sure that it won't last more than a week, but with the blackout expected to start this Friday night/Saturday morning, that Tuesday would only be day 4 of such an interruption. We'll see what happens for any remaining games after this, if this continues.

1 hour ago, jase said:

No, you don't mess with the Bachelor Nation...they aren't going to be happy with watching at 12:37am ever, and in the third largest market? Too much collateral damage. The move is more than justified here.

Plus The CW is in full Cancom Hashmark Summer mode that evening (Pandora and Mysteries Decoded) and knows that this will be the last time this should happen, ever (unless Marquee becomes the new Sportsnet LA and no cable system will pick it up). There's just no issue with this at all.

Finally, DirecTV is suicidal to think their viewers could survive without ESPN. At this point, satellite, like its internet counterparts at HughesNet and ViaSat, is quickly becoming a 'I'll subscribe if I'm desperate/relocated to Western Nebraska' kind of service with a declining channel lineup.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

No, you don't mess with the Bachelor Nation...they aren't going to be happy with watching at 12:37am ever, and in the third largest market? Too much collateral damage. The move is more than justified here.

I'm gonna agree here...there'd be wine-fueled riots in front of 190 N State if Bachelor was bumped. Though @24994J has a point, maybe they're testing the waters in case Ma Bell doesn't blink. Not that a standoff with the House of Mouse would last long anyway...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled upon a video a few years ago, where Alan spoke in-depth about how his faith has evolved over the years, based on his upbringing and field of work. Being so faith-focused, he didn't go into the "newsworthy" details of his father's murder, instead more with how it shaped him. A terrible story, but so great that he's turned it into a very accomplished, fulfilling life.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, TVNewsLover said:

Since WCIU ended their newscast, what’s Hosea Sanders been up to?

He guest-hosted 'Windy City Live' last month, will still host (with Cheryl Burton) the African-American cultural affairs show 'Heart & Soul'. That airs like 3 or 4 times a year. He's all over the Chicago Proud and Building a Better Chicago series stories. He hasn't filled in on the anchor desk, but he hadn't done this for several months, even as the WCIU newscast was still on the air.

Meanwhile, the new consumer reporter hasn't debuted on-air (that'll be Monday), but in a little intro video, Samantha Chatman is being listed as a member of the I-Team, with the hashtag #SamOnYourSide.

• 4 weeks later...

With no talent opens, Chuck Goudie's status as a contributing member of the 6pm news is unclear, as he also isn't featured in promos. That said, another member of the I-Team IS an official 5th wheel, as new hire Samantha Chatman has been added to the latest batch of morning team promos.

On 10/5/2019 at 1:01 AM, 24994J said:

He guest-hosted 'Windy City Live' last month, will still host (with Cheryl Burton) the African-American cultural affairs show 'Heart & Soul'. That airs like 3 or 4 times a year. He's all over the Chicago Proud and Building a Better Chicago series stories. He hasn't filled in on the anchor desk, but he hadn't done this for several months, even as the WCIU newscast was still on the air.

Meanwhile, the new consumer reporter hasn't debuted on-air (that'll be Monday), but in a little intro video, Samantha Chatman is being listed as a member of the I-Team, with the hashtag #SamOnYourSide.

Random thoughts while passing through...

She needs some work on her annunciation... did you know the word filed ended in T? 

The new weather guy they got is pretty good.

They don’t always hype the accuweather alert days do they? 

Edited by ns8401

On 10/31/2019 at 9:57 PM, ns8401 said:

The new weather guy they got is pretty good.

They don’t always hype the accuweather alert days do they? 

Agreed, and no, not often. This was only the second time I can recall them stringing two or more in a row on the 7-day.

Meanwhile, Windy City LIVE's new EP is being promoted from within. https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/11/01/abc-7-names-hank-mendheim-executive-producer-windy-city-live/

Also, as it's sweeps, we're seeing a special segment at 10 basically every night, though like 95% are I-Team branded. Tonight, however, is one of the outliers, and it uses some different graphical elements, and a bit of a new branding. The Eyewitness News/time slot lower third remains unchanged.

194134106_bandicam2019-11-0520-33-45-644.thumb.png.4b3e9d0bf6ed6fef4d82f0367f052b0c.png1298842710_bandicam2019-11-0520-34-19-933.thumb.png.83409954c620481bafc2eda6b0b098b0.png1850101793_bandicam2019-11-0520-33-49-030.thumb.png.58c78a951aa1d7cb5aaf498c7a415ba2.png

Edited by 24994J

• 1 month later...

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/11/22/robservations-reporter-jesse-kirsch-moving-fast-abc-7/

No surprise, he's been promoted to General Assignment reporting. He is reporting on weekend mornings. Which bumps Diane Pathieu to weekday morning reporting.  Make sense since she fills in for Roz on traffic and fill's in for the morning show. BTW. i'm not sure if this is just me, but I feel like she fits in really good with the rest of the team on the weekday morning show.

Hosea Sanders is filling in at the desk at 4 today for the first time since the WCIU broadcast was canceled. I was beginning to think that they phased him out of anchoring for good, though this could be a last resort type thing, as holiday schedules get wacky. Either way, nice to see him back in the role, especially with Judy.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...