The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

2 hours ago, former newsboy said:

24994J, I'm OBSESSED with your new avatar.  That is all.  Thank you.

Thanks! Bored one afternoon, I had some fun making some gifs. Have fun, y'all.

2137976009_Webp.net-resizeimage(2).gif.88d9952a397a920f2b78fd9ea291a0af.gif

Webp.net-resizeimage.gif.37689fa2b3379f0cd5a38a723b169aab.gifWebp.net-resizeimage.gif.9194a6007463755c84bc93ccb1d1d0d8.gifWebp.net-resizeimage_(1).gif.3b5136a20520cc291043a8b465596848.gif31425077_2145487435480451_3964671026603753472_n.gif.45f273a06d73c7eb619de1d5cd4d401c.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Prepare yourselves... Change is coming.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/07/01/abc-7-test-visually-compelling-video-storytelling-techniques

WLS-Channel 7 is looking to stay on top of local news in Chicago by experimenting with new forms of animation, graphics, and data visualization in the way it tells stories.

The ABC-owned station is one of only two TV news operations in the country to participate in a cutting-edge video news research project led by Northeastern University School of Journalism in Boston and the Stanton Foundation.

Key to the project, announced today, will be the hiring of a visual content producer who’ll be employed by ABC 7 under a yearlong fellowship. The producer will use such tools as animation, motion graphics, and special effects to “invigorate” news stories.

The project is an outgrowth of a 2018 study which examined video storytelling at six stations — including ABC 7 in Chicago — by “remixing” traditionally presented stories with innovative production values. (Here is the link.) Viewers surveyed on their reactions preferred the enhancements overwhelmingly.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Weeters said:

This type of concept has been used sporadically in recent months in I-Team segments, using more visually-interesting ways to display things like statistics and such. Even with a dedicated person on staff, I'm curious how that would be effectively translated into general storytelling.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The writing was on the wall with the new CW affiliation, and with no mention of it on WCIU's fall preview promo, it was only a matter of time. After 4.5 years, 'ABC 7 Eyewitness News at 7 on The U' is coming to an end as the calendar changes to September. This comes just weeks after sister KGO ended their Primetime newscast, leaving KABC, WTVD and WPVI as the only O&O stations still in this game, though there's a question of how long the latter of those will last, with WPHL's changing ownership.

Cheryl Burton continues anchoring at 5 and 10, Larry Mowry & Jim Rose at 4 and 6, but this leaves Hosea Sanders without an anchor assignment for the first time in 25 years. With a lack of fill-in appeances on earlier shows, and his recent health issues, I'm guessing he'll shift to permanent community affairs role, like Harry Porterfield and others years ago.

The 3 anchors not named Larry will co-host the Bud Billiken back to school parade next month, as usual.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/07/29/abc-7-end-7-p-m-newscast-u/

Edited by 24994J

On 7/1/2019 at 9:12 AM, 24994J said:

This type of concept has been used sporadically in recent months in I-Team segments, using more visually-interesting ways to display things like statistics and such. Even with a dedicated person on staff, I'm curious how that would be effectively translated into general storytelling.

It's wonderful if you have the time, money and resources to do all this on a daily basis.

Most stations don't, and won't.

The TV News formula is now pushing data from one platform to another with minimal cost, liability and embarrassment.

And what about all that re-training?

Give me a big budget for that animation team and all those nice expensive graphics crunchers, make sure you staff the weekends too...

It's nice if your station group is willing to make a long term commitment...but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Edited by Eat News
ITZY "ICY" MV .. https://youtu.be/zndvqTc4P9I

4 hours ago, 24994J said:

The writing was on the wall with the new CW affiliation, and with no mention of it on WCIU's fall preview promo, it was only a matter of time. After 4.5 years, 'ABC 7 Eyewitness News at 7 on The U' is coming to an end as the calendar changes to September. This comes just weeks after sister KGO ended their Primetime newscast, leaving KABC, WTVD and WPVI as the only O&O stations still in this game, though there's a question of how long the latter of those will last, with WPHL's changing ownership.

Cheryl Burton continues anchoring at 5 and 10, Larry Lowry & Jim Rose at 4 and 6, but this leaves Hosea Sanders without an anchor assignment for the first time in 25 years. With a lack of fill-in appeances on earlier shows, and his recent health issues, I'm guessing he'll shift to permanent community affairs role, like Harry Porterfield and others years ago.

The 3 anchors not named Larry will co-host the Bud Billiken back to school parade next month, as usual.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/07/29/abc-7-end-7-p-m-newscast-u/

Actually, so does KFSN with their return of producing a newscast for KAIL which launched an hour-long 8 p.m. newscast back in September 2018.

40 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

I'll actually miss the 7pm newscast on WCIU. I've watched it more than I've watched any other weekday ABC 7 newscast in the past 3 years.

Seconded. It provided a service for those who couldn't make in time for the 4-6:30p news block.

Edited by Georgie56

9 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Actually, so does KFSN with their return of producing a newscast for KAIL which launched an hour-long 8 p.m. newscast back in September 2018.

Huh, didn't catch that. Who's anchoring?

I noticed the other day that WLS removed the listing for a meteorologist on their website, and now we have confirmation. Greg Dutra joins from KDVR in Denver. He's formally succeeding Larry Mowry after the spot was open for 19 months.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

What's going to happen to Mark McGinnis? Is he going back to Milwaukee?

According to Feder's post this morning, ABC 7 will still utilize him here and there when needed. I assume it will be a lot less often now.

Besides, he never "left" Milwaukee anyway, right? His main job has always been there, as I understand it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

There's going to be a new addition to the Channel 7 morning team.

Feder stated that she'll be starting on September 30. She comes from KXAS in Fort Worth, TX.

You say you want weather and traffic in the morning... what you really mean is consumer issues you are too tired to think about or comprehend... what a goofy strategy..

At least one other O&O has used a morning consumer reporter, as well. I haven't seen how/how often the reports are presented, and what exactly is covered (more on that in a moment), but if she doesn't also give the morning stock report (that's been handled at the NYSE since forever), then I don't really see the point. One thing that I also wonder is if she might fall under the I-Team umbrella. A bit of a stretch, maybe, but that ultimately depends on what her daily reporting duties will be.

Edited by 24994J