The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Rob Elgas has filled in on like a Monday when Ravi or others weren't available, but I think it would be a really slim chance of Judy doing so. Summer schedules will certainly complicate things, so with a long-term need on the morning shift, be prepared for nights where Judy and Cheryl carry all 5 newscasts when the other is off.

I realize it's the longest of long shots, but I'd be curious to see Liz Nagy fill in for Tanja. She's done a ton of weekend mornings, and even some evening slots, so it's not anything really new. It wouldn't really disrupt anyone's schedules (outside of hers), and having a stable fill-in would be less chaotic than 3 ladies cycling through. That said, the reporting core is going to be thinner for the next month, as Michelle Gallardo is currently running a month-long marathon through the Himalayan Mountains.

• Like 1

A bit of a rarity tonight, as the southern edge of the Chicago viewing area is under a tornado warning. Despite it coming at a weird time of day, Cheryl Scott and Larry Mowry have been on the air since about 12:20am. WGN went on with Mike Hamernik a long while later, and Mary Kay Kleist did a quick update at 1 on CBS2. NBC5 and FOX32 have not broken in.

29 minutes ago, 24994J said:

A bit of a rarity tonight, as the southern edge of the Chicago viewing area is under a tornado warning. Despite it coming at a weird time of day, Cheryl Scott and Larry Mowry have been on the air since about 12:20am. WGN went on with Mike Hamernik a long while later, and Mary Kay Kleist did a quick update at 1 on CBS2. NBC5 and FOX32 have not broken in.

Pete (WMAQ) broke in a few minutes ago & said he will again when necessary. Likely won't see Mike (WFLD) or anyone else for awhile because I believe they all live in the burbs.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 2:43 AM, jase said:

Pete (WMAQ) broke in a few minutes ago & said he will again when necessary. Likely won't see Mike (WFLD) or anyone else for awhile because I believe they all live in the burbs.

Nobody bothers staying over when this kind of weather is forecast?

9 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Nobody bothers staying over when this kind of weather is forecast?

Well...unless something was to occur during the 9-11P hrs., it wouldn't make sense to stay because the weather is unpredictable. 

WFLD is also down one meteorologist, at the moment, so shifts will be stretched and weird for the summer. Not a total excuse, but it makes that 1am timeframe difficult, especially when there wasn't any guarantee that the storms would enter dangerous territory.

9 hours ago, jase said:

Well...unless something was to occur during the 9-11P hrs., it wouldn't make sense to stay because the weather is unpredictable. 

Huh... I’m used to folks sticking around till about 2am if there’s a chance of something interesting then handing it off to the morning person and going home... same crowd that breaks in for Severe Thunderstorm warnings on the other hand so maybe overkill is the policy... also different market so YMMV...

Edited by ns8401

8 hours ago, 24994J said:

WFLD is also down one meteorologist, at the moment, so shifts will be stretched and weird for the summer. Not a total excuse, but it makes that 1am timeframe difficult, especially when there wasn't any guarantee that the storms would enter dangerous territory.

Even if they had Kaitlin, she lives in Indiana, so the turn around would be tougher. My guess is, in weather emergencies, it would fall to Bill, Mark or Mike (or they would go without).

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 1:11 AM, 24994J said:

When WLS first broke in was for a TOR warning in Livingston County which is not in the Chicago DMA, I don't believe any Chicago market counties had Tornado warnings that night. Some Chicago stations likely have a small number of viewers in Livingston County so that's probably why some stations broke into programming while others did not. I'm surprised WLS went into full coverage. I would guess most viewers would be watching the local stations, but the markets to the west and south of Chicago are very small so the severe weather coverage likely isn't all that great. 

• 2 weeks later...

To extend coverage just outside of the market is actually pretty smart. 7 has a very strong social media and YouTube presence when it comes to the weather, and the chances of people living within the market knowing somebody out there are pretty strong. So I'm sure with that coverage, they're relying on people sharing the live streams on social media platforms to those who don't get 7 over the air. Actually, that's kind of brilliant.

Edited by ctmajka

I was chatting with a forum member offline about a fun promo shot Hosea Sanders posted on Instagram.

He noted the bright colored suits, but then I realized a color coordinating theme from 20 years of promo shoots. They found something they liked and took it way too far. He said I had to post this, so enjoy! 🤣

morning_team_1997.thumb.png.4a0cf32a80792d7115d2d8b4a2665a99.pngmorning_team_2001.thumb.png.ca675742bd04d327659b7db0d324c3cb.pngmorning_team_2012.thumb.png.f92b95d3a22f4fdf0a4d21e450973d6f.png1305003029_morningteam20151.thumb.png.175fc1a76ba07ad5ffdefc7def14002f.png118812638_morningteam20152.thumb.png.95fa4134e1cafc319769f53ccfa29a9f.png146060059_morningteam20161.thumb.png.ca19e286050b51b5a17fadcd908a7889.png805998689_morningteam20171.thumb.png.470e1cd52cbe0956e65d446f5f5ed0bc.png

• Like 1