The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

22 years old, and already working at the #1 rated news outlet in the 3rd largest American city...

I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I thought Rob Elgas and Cheryl Scott were young blood, but at least they're seasoned in their respective positions. Am I the only one that finds this a bit unnerving?

If I had to bet I'd put money on him being the son of someone important at the station or a family friend of someone in management.

• Like 1

Any guesses as to when the new talent opens will debut?

From what I noticed, they didn't start shooting them until after Karen went on maternity leave, and about the same time Hosea left to have his cancer surgery. She's due back "in May", whether at the beginning or end is unknown, and Cheryl said the other day that he'll be back "soon". They may not wait until a new weekend co-anchor is hired, but they definitely don't have all of them shot with the current roster. Some of the video is in use, though, with the weather team session being used for the AccuWeather promos and the 10 o'clock team shots have been added to the in-game promo...

86869662_bandicam2017-04-1222-29-04-074.thumb.png.68da35ea5a424a0d6afc33b818c428a1.png

(Cheryl Burton's weird crossed arms are going to bug me every game this season.)

• Like 5

22 years old, and already working at the #1 rated news outlet in the 3rd largest American city...

I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I thought Rob Elgas and Cheryl Scott were young blood, but at least they're seasoned in their respective positions. Am I the only one that finds this a bit unnerving?

I'm 18, working as an Anchor/Reporter at the #3 station in market #118.

If young people can do the job, more power to them.

• Like 1

From what I noticed, they didn't start shooting them until after Karen went on maternity leave, and about the same time Hosea left to have his cancer surgery. She's due back "in May", whether at the beginning or end is unknown, and Cheryl said the other day that he'll be back "soon". They may not wait until a new weekend co-anchor is hired, but they definitely don't have all of them shot with the current roster. Some of the video is in use, though, with the weather team session being used for the AccuWeather promos and the 10 o'clock team shots have been added to the in-game promo...

[ATTACH=full]3855[/ATTACH]

(Cheryl Burton's weird crossed arms are going to bug me every game this season.)

She looks like she is doing some sort of non-meditative yoga or something....

• Like 5

I'm 18, working as an Anchor/Reporter at the #3 station in market #118.

If young people can do the job, more power to them.

Yes, that's more understandable, It's more common to see younger folks on-air in smaller markets. However, it normally takes a number of years on-air to make your way into the top 20 markets. It's very unique to see anyone in their 20's working on-air in Chicago, or anywhere larger than Sacramento, I would say.

She looks like she is doing some sort of non-meditative yoga or something....

I'm guessing she (and the other Cheryl) were caught off guard as if they were in the middle of adjusting their arms/hands. You would think someone would have said..'let's try that again' or something. They both look awkward.

Judy Hsu is in for Ravi tonight.

Last night, too. Apparently she wasn't supposed to be on, as the original fill-in this weekend became unavailable. Real specific, I know. Meanwhile, Mark's back for more weekend desk duty, with Dionne at the UC.

Hosea appears to be in good spirits and coming along in his recovery. It appears to me that he has dropped some weight, and he's definitely a little hairier than I remember. :D (Having shaved his head in the late 90's, I totally want to see what's under the hat.)

He should be back pretty soon, and everyone's asking if he'll be able to keep the beard...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10210453063417714

• 2 weeks later...

7's VP and General Sales Manager Vincent Sollecito has been promoted to National Sales Manager for the ABC Television Stations Group. He had been VP and GSM the past 9 years and with the station group for 18. He started as an Account Executive with WABC.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/05/03/robservations-wheres-heart-iheartmedia/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With no midnight airing tonight and a holiday weekend, ABC 7 reran the first episode of Windy City Live today, on the show's 6th anniversary. Ryan's sooooo much better now, and the set really needs a paint job. It's so washed out and faded, compared to day one.

• Like 2

since cheryl scott is off enjoying her 10 year college reunion who did the weather in her place?

Larry was in for Tracy, and teased that Phil (on a normal day off) and Jerry would be on tonight. With the Cubs delaying the late news past midnight, I'd imagine Phil will do it, like he would at 10.

The late night newscast was Phil on weather, Ravi anchoring, and Jim on sports. Save for Jim, it felt like a weekend evening newscast (which it basically was)

phil and ravi? hopefully there was no big hits during the show.

Looks like some more graphics updates. Not sure if these were around earlier in the day (the Cubs game preempted the 4 and 5, and delayed and shortened the 6), but only the promo lower thirds appear to be changed. The bug and transitions are the same. Perhaps we might see the new talent opens soon.

1186669438_bandicam2017-05-2921-30-16-715.thumb.png.0c256f5e252bec398bbd7c2c52b9b19f.png

• Like 5

Looks like some more graphics updates. Not sure if these were around earlier in the day (the Cubs game preempted the 4 and 5, and delayed and shortened the 6), but only the promo lower thirds appear to be changed. The bug and transitions are the same. Perhaps we might see the new talent opens soon.

[ATTACH=full]4048[/ATTACH]

The spiffed up cable access level talent names are pretty ugly hanging above the graphic... good for 1990... kind of dumb in 2017...

• Like 2