The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

He's the sports guy.... I don't know about you but I don't really expect editorial integrity from the sports guy...

I can think of several guys who editorialize on air in ridiculous ways and don't get burned for it...

But he still a journalist which means he has to adhere to the same rules/standards/guidelines as a news anchor or reporter would. If this was his first offense, he probably would have gotten a verbal warning or whatnot, but that's not the case here. Honestly, it may be time to hang it up. He has had a good run. I would hate to see him get fired for another offense the next time around.

Look for new talent opens coming soon to WLS. Tanja Babich posted a reference on her Instagram (@tanjababichabc7)

[MEDIA=instagram]BQ_Ueq_lMaY[/MEDIA]

Just beat me to it. Honestly, I was convinced that they weren't going to shoot new ones. Goodness, so many need replacing...Krashesky and Scott at 10, none of the 7pm shots look good or time-appropriate, Elgas and maybe Hsu at 4 (her morning shot could work), the already-mentioned Babich, Mowry on weekend mornings, and the yet to be named anchor of that broadcast.

• Like 2

Despite agreeing with Giangreco's reply (I didn't see the post was referencing) he shouldn't have said it.

Now since he's on the radio would he have gotten away with this if it was said on air?

He makes thinly-veiled political jokes all the time, and they're generally tamer than what you'd see on late night TV. The statement that got him benched wasn't remotely funny, wasn't intended as a joke, and specifically targeted a sizeable portion of the community...and potential viewers.

• Like 3

Oh wow, I didn't realize Karen was that close to giving birth. I thought we still had at least a month or two. All the best to her and family.

Also, if there's new talent opens...Could there also be a whole new graphics package? Or at least a new design for the opens? The current ones have been so over-compressed; they look horrible.

Oh wow, I didn't realize Karen was that close to giving birth. I thought we still had at least a month or two. All the best to her and family.

Also, if there's new talent opens...Could there also be a whole new graphics package? Or at least a new design for the opens? The current ones have been so over-compressed; they look horrible.

Maybe they will start using them correctly too...

Wishes appear to be granted. Not sure what direction they go in (heck, they might just be the same basics opens with new talent shots), but it looks like everyone is getting re-shot. That said, we've only seen hints from the morning anchors...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1455773427774246

...It won't just be the morning anchors, and it appears there may be some promos shot at this loft-looking venue, too. To note, whether or not they make it to air (or for how long), 10pm opens will apparently be included, even though the rejoins haven't been used for like 2 years.

From Cheryl Scott's Snapchat feed...

1632850772_Capture_2017-02-27-21-52-33.thumb.png.21a75dd04afbf8231c2b63969b0ddf36.png ...

Also, with Charles Thomas retiring at the end of this week, the station has made it clear that they are in no real hurry to directly fill the political role, temporarily folding it into the general story rotation. An interesting thing I picked up in Feder's post is that Derrick Blakley is referred to as CBS 2's political reporter. I hadn't heard that someone had assumed that position after Jay Levine's semi-retirement.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/02/28/abc-7-retirement-nears-charles-thomas-working-hard-ever/

Fun fact: based on this location tag, they're shooting at the Museum of Broadcast Communications:

[MEDIA=instagram]BRJeE7cBvgb[/MEDIA]

1197455386_Capture_2017-02-27-21-14-05.thumb.png.67c2a3823b343630180b8c47ce877870.png

1757877753_Capture_2017-02-27-21-52-23.thumb.png.8988e364beeb1994cf76ce1e0dfeeb6e.png

• Like 3

After working part-time for awhile, Frank Mathie will officially retire on April 3rd. The significance of that Monday? April 3rd, 2017, will mark the 50th anniversary of his arrival at then-WBKB.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wls-to-remember-50-years-of-frank-mathie/186959

Fun fact: the only remaining employee with any chance to reach such a milestone would be Alan Krashesky. At age 56 with a 35-year tenure, he'd have to remain with ABC 7 til he's 71.

After working part-time for awhile, Frank Mathie will officially retire on April 3rd. The significance of that Monday? April 3rd, 2017, will mark the 50th anniversary of his arrival at then-WBKB.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wls-to-remember-50-years-of-frank-mathie/186959

Fun fact: the only remaining employee with any chance to reach such a milestone would be Alan Krashesky. At age 56 with a 35-year tenure, he'd have to remain with ABC 7 til he's 71.

Which seems better than 50-50 given how their talent hangs on forever. Kind of amazing Krashesky has been there that long...

Which seems better than 50-50 given how their talent hangs on forever. Kind of amazing Krashesky has been there that long...

I've used this as my profile pic before, but a visual reminder is always fun...

krashesky.png.jpg.83b4745bb4f18ace191aac472b01f23f.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...