The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

1734252_630x354.jpg

After 26 years at ABC 7, and the last 8 as political reporter, Charles Thomas is retiring from television on March 3rd. He soon join an African American community-focused digital venture.

http://abc7chicago.com/careers/veteran-broadcast-journalist-and-abc-7-political-reporter-charles-thomas-to-retire/1734264/

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wls-political-reporter-retiring-after-4-decades/185240

• Like 3

When was this?

During the 2012 Olympics, when Nightline was still at 10:35. The 5 minute news brief was supposed to compete with the NBC station's late newscast, but it backfired when coverage of the games rarely ended on time. I know WPVI did a similar update, and WABC might have, as well. It was also weird, though, when the already 60-minute weekend newscasts would awkwardly extend a few minutes into the next hour.

During the 2012 Olympics, when Nightline was still at 10:35. The 5 minute news brief was supposed to compete with the NBC station's late newscast, but it backfired when coverage of the games rarely ended on time. I know WPVI did a similar update, and WABC might have, as well. It was also weird, though, when the already 60-minute weekend newscasts would awkwardly extend a few minutes into the next hour.

Thanks, couldn't find anything on google.

No better, no worse at 7 o'clock. I didn't notice anything at 4 or 5, but I wasn't looking, either. That almost makes it seem like it just happened.

Never mind. It was like this since the middle of last week. This is from either Wednesday or Thursday...

1657046809_bandicam2017-02-0210-32-27-492.thumb.png.d28c3c7be7123be06762c8e16ee68978.png

1833226822_bandicam2017-02-0210-26-07-902.thumb.png.3eaa439251295e14fc0ee8ee59ba5d30.png

For the last several months/year or two, the standard reporter-reporting-from-the-truck-on-the-road gimmick has been referred to as "Stormtracker Live". Now it's an official vehicle...

[MEDIA=instagram]BQWoO53D5LX[/MEDIA]

There's been no press or promos about it, and no word on it's capabilities. The hubcaps appear to signal it to be a GMC, and probably a Yukon. I'm going to the auto show next week, so I'll get some pics then.

Edit: a better view...

[MEDIA=twitter]830275744056143872[/MEDIA]

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, it's not any worse than what he gets away with on the radio, and he claims the bosses are usually listening, so they are likely prepared for these talks. He's made his political leanings no secret there, on the condition that he's sports, so there's a bit of a disconnect (which can certainly be debated).

On a scale to 1 to 'Flaming Detroit', this is about a 6.

• Like 1

The length is definitely surprising (especially with a thinned department at spring training time), but again, a suspension ultimately does make sense. I'm stunned at how many are taking his side in the Feder comments, though, as those "intellectuals" would usually scoff at Mark's typical "buffoonery".

• Like 1

The length is definitely surprising (especially with a thinned department at spring training time), but again, a suspension ultimately does make sense. I'm stunned at how many are taking his side in the Feder comments, though, as those "intellectuals" would usually scoff at Mark's typical "buffoonery".

Ultimately what he does off their air is irrelevant to their editorial standards... 7 is known to be stiff as a board in really dumb ways... exhibit A....

Ultimately what he does off their air is irrelevant to their editorial standards... 7 is known to be stiff as a board in really dumb ways... exhibit A....

Some other article/posting made a good point, though. His Twitter handle is @MarkGiangreco7, and the '7' is a connection to the station's brand. If all this was from a personal (be it private or public) account, then he'd likely get off unscathed, but this is the professional account.

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Mark's, but this type of punishment for this type of infraction is fairly standard across the industry, and is totally deserved.

• Like 1

Some other article/posting made a good point, though. His Twitter handle is @MarkGiangreco7, and the '7' is a connection to the station's brand. If all this was from a personal (be it private or public) account, then he'd likely get off unscathed, but this is the professional account.

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Mark's, but this type of punishment for this type of infraction is fairly standard across the industry, and is totally deserved.

He's the sports guy.... I don't know about you but I don't really expect editorial integrity from the sports guy...

I can think of several guys who editorialize on air in ridiculous ways and don't get burned for it...