The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

ABC 7 just had a huge automation fail. It started with lower thirds popping up over the wrong videos, but when it switched to a single shot of Karen in the studio, the camera tried to back up to show an OTS graphic on the video board, and the camera hit something and started shaking. It stayed steady for a second, but then the camera hit something again and violently turned wide left toward the empty seat at the desk (Ravi is off tonight). The control room cut hard to the b-roll for the story, which again had an incorrect lower third. Karen broke down and started laughing at the hilarity of the dumpster fire of technical fails taking place.

They then went to a weather update from Phil, but they had no camera available to show Phil. They just put Phil's lower third on top of the full-screen weather graphics, and Phil did not make an appearance on camera the entire time. Once they went back to Karen, she read the lead-in to a prerecorded story, and when she finished reading, sure enough, the recorded video could not be played, so she just sat there in silence for a bit while trying to find the correct paper script on the desk so that she could narrate the story herself. As soon as she started narrating the story, the pre-recorded story abruptly kicked in and cut her off.

Things seem to have stabilized after that segment. I think we're good now.

Watched it on NewsON. I'd say they're pretty lucky it was just relegated to one block. Almost seemed like they used a template that was normally used but with Ravi being off threw them literally off and the one block wasn't corrected.

Surprised the robotic cameras bumped into each other. I thought they were supposed to have anti collision bumpers and sensors on them - unless the heads colliding was what caused the vibration and shaking.

Watched it on NewsON. I'd say they're pretty lucky it was just relegated to one block. Almost seemed like they used a template that was normally used but with Ravi being off threw them literally off and the one block wasn't corrected.

Surprised the robotic cameras bumped into each other. I thought they were supposed to have anti collision bumpers and sensors on them - unless the heads colliding was what caused the vibration and shaking.

That disaster has Putin written all over it.

It's those ruskies with their fake news and Larry King infomercials hacking into our newsroom computer systems, and cellular bonded backpacks. The suicide camera pedestal collisions have he fingerprints of a state sponsored actor.

They should change the password on the automation from 12345 to something much more secure like Password123.

Also the Russians have provided free vodka to struggling EP's and show producers, and that can cause the automation to mess up if they spill vodka in the switcher.

• Like 1

That disaster has Putin written all over it.

It's those ruskies with their fake news and Larry King infomercials hacking into our newsroom computer systems, and cellular bonded backpacks. The suicide camera pedestal collisions have he fingerprints of a state sponsored actor.

They should change the password on the automation from 12345 to something much more secure like Password123.

Also the Russians have provided free vodka to struggling EP's and show producers, and that can cause the automation to mess up if they spill vodka in the switcher.

What would we do without such incredible insight???

• Like 3

Also, I noticed that ABC 7 is using poinsettias on set this year. Is this their first year doing it, or did they start it last year when this set debuted?

I can't recall them using poinsettias on the previous set, but I might be wrong...

They've done that with the old set several times.

Last year the poinsettias were across the whole deskfront, but they cut back this year so the logo isn't blocked. As for the old set, I can't recall a year where they didn't decorate, but they spent more some years for than others. Early in the old set's run they also put garland on the edge of the desk, covering the gold lit area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Did Mark lick Janet this year?

No, at one point after midnight she donned a beekeeper-like suit to ward off his advances, and then they settled for a friendly kiss and a selfie.

As for the ratings, ABC 7 and NBC 5's combined ratings were down from last year, but initial curiosity last year wasn't enough for "Chi-Town Rising" to stay on top, with "Countdown Chicago" returning to first place. WLS scored a 12.7 (31 share) at the stroke of midnight to WMAQ's 9.7 (25 share). ABC 7 was also on top for the total broadcast, doubling NBC 5's 6.0 with a 12.1, and also claiming victory in the demos.

Feder: http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/01/01/abc-7-rings-new-year-back-top/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I've been meaning to ask, and since that pic makes it easy for me, here's my question... Didn't that ABC 7 logo on the wall used to illuminate in blue when the new State Street studio debuted? Why don't they light it up like that anymore? I think it looked way better

Not in blue. The ABC was gray, and the 7 was white, leaning toward a slightly purple hue. That said, it was always quite subtle, if it was even lit at all.

1050438_1280x720.thumb.jpg.37f8c6efd2595ec2d5959c6c82c30515.jpg

Something that was jokingly mentioned last year might actually be coming to fruition. According the irreverent boys over at the 'Waddle and Silvy' show on ESPN 1000, ABC 7 will actually air their 10pm Super Bowl sportscast from Tom Waddle's watch party at his north suburban home. He appeared live from his home office last year to do his customary Sunday night 'Waddle's World' segment (which is usually pre-recorded at ESPN in Bristol), with a cameo by fake-drunk Giangreco. This year Dionne Miller will be there, too, and it appears that the bosses are on-board. When it was just a playful idea last February, they said the whole newscast should be done from there, but that was obviously never in play.

chi3.thumb.jpg.03ec914e8e33abf3dd00d20a1b797138.jpg

Not in blue. The ABC was gray, and the 7 was white, leaning toward a slightly purple hue. That said, it was always quite subtle, if it was even lit at all.

[ATTACH=full]3620[/ATTACH]

Thanks. Maybe I'm thinking of the logo in the weather area, the one next to Tracy in this pic. Did they remove it? Maybe that's my confusion, because I don't feel like I've seen it in a long time. Maybe I'm just off my rocker.

Thanks. Maybe I'm thinking of the logo in the weather area, the one next to Tracy in this pic. Did they remove it? Maybe that's my confusion, because I don't feel like I've seen it in a long time. Maybe I'm just off my rocker.

That one on the glass panel is there, as far as I know. They haven't done the dramatic zoom-in to show it, lately, I guess. It bugs the crap out of me, though, that the a, b, and c aren't filled in in white on that panel.