The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

• 2 weeks later...
Did anyone notice that at 9:30 tonight, it is scheduled to be

an ABC 7 Newsbrief? Is this permanent for the summer during Sunday Fun and Games? Is ABC going to fill that half hour between match game and the news?

WLS always do a live 35 second news tease (during the commericial break at around the 9:30pm half hour).

Match Game is one hour. Whether it's 2 30-minute games or 1 60, it's on from 9 to 10. The station's online listing confirms that, as does my DVR. Blame your source, I guess.

My source is my guide and my DVR on Xfinity. Guess it is wrong. But, why would that appear, obviously that was sent to Comcast for some reason.

20160626_173932.thumb.jpg.507fdff73d43de3188e58fa806832dd8.jpg

The 11am news began (again) today. They're not reinventing the wheel with this one, and there's really no reason to. Despite new anchors, new graphics, new branding and a new set, it feels familiar to the Linda and Sylvia days. There were 2 Windy City Live previews during the hour, including in the first 10 minutes, but I'd imagine they'll stick with just the 2nd half hour preview (about 11:42, which was done from the WCL set).

For the opens, they've unsurprisingly opted for the evening Stimulus cut, maintaining the anchors' morning headshots, but using different skyline shots. That said, like the 6pm weeknight open, the time of day doesn't seem right in the broadcast's cityscapes. Unlike the 4 o'clock news, the 11 is not 2 separately-branded shows. An interesting note, the open and talent rejoin use different VO scripts than the other dayparts. "...News at ## Starts NOW" has been replaced with a more traditional line, and the "ABC 7" has been dropped in the talent so they can include the 11AM. Just see for yourself...

• 3 weeks later...
Who is Liz Nagy? Did I fall asleep at the switch and miss that hire?

From Feder, March 25th...

"There’s another new face coming to ABC-owned WLS-Channel 7. Starting Monday as a per-diem reporter is Liz Nagy, just in from WSVN, the Fox affiliate in Miami. Before joining WSVN in 2011, Nagy worked for WEAR, the ABC affiliate in Pensacola, Florida, and WVIR, the NBC affiliate in Charlottesville, Virginia. A Philadelphia native and graduate of Elon University in Elon, North Carolina, she began at WEIU, the PBS station in Charleston, Illinois. Nagy is engaged to John Hendren, Chicago-based correspondent for Al Jazeera English."

The couple have since married. She's been on mostly weeknights, definitely the most infrequent of the by-the-hour hires, though she filled in for Stacey Baca on the anchor desk last weekend alongside Diane Pathieu.

From Feder, March 25th...

"There’s another new face coming to ABC-owned WLS-Channel 7. Starting Monday as a per-diem reporter is Liz Nagy, just in from WSVN, the Fox affiliate in Miami. Before joining WSVN in 2011, Nagy worked for WEAR, the ABC affiliate in Pensacola, Florida, and WVIR, the NBC affiliate in Charlottesville, Virginia. A Philadelphia native and graduate of Elon University in Elon, North Carolina, she began at WEIU, the PBS station in Charleston, Illinois. Nagy is engaged to John Hendren, Chicago-based correspondent for Al Jazeera English."

The couple have since married. She's been on mostly weeknights, definitely the most infrequent of the by-the-hour hires, though she filled in for Stacey Baca on the anchor desk last weekend alongside Diane Pathieu.

Thanks J... I just happened to peek at it at 10 tonight and that was my first time seeing her on air. Pretty solid for a per diem. I was really surprised they had no live field reports tonight...

Damn. Nagy has been all over the place this weekend.

Last night, Liz was covering a local breaker at during the 10:30pm half hour. Then a few hours later, she anchored the morning broadcast with Tanja Babich. And tonight, she's covering the deadly police shooting in Baton Rouge.

Hope she finally get some rest.

And tonight, she's covering the deadly police shooting in Baton Rouge.

Hope she finally get some rest.

I wonder why they sent her (or anybody, for that matter)? Is it possible the network/affiliate service has a bit of a talent shortage with the RNC?

I wonder why they sent her (or anybody, for that matter)? Is it possible the network/affiliate service has a bit of a talent shortage with the RNC?

There was a live report from the network available at 11... We had it off the top here...

Question WBBM OR WFLD which one is more relucant to break in during primetime my vote is WBBM but WFLD doesnt always beat them to the punch lately they have though

You really must use punctuation. I can't, and I'm sure others, can't understand what you're talking about.

I have a question: What is the policy of replaying a show when WLS breaks in? They only aired the first few minutes of Match Game last night.

Don't they normally bring a reporter from KTRK to cover something in this region? I remember some time ago that a reporter from there was in Louisiana covering a weather-related event (like a Tropical Storm) and that clip was aired WLS and the other sister stations.

Like this morning, KTRK's anchor/reporter Chauncy Glover is in Baton Rouge and was featured on the national ABC shows.

My question isnt that hard to understand. Which station WBBM or WFLD is more reluctant ( meaning doesnt want to do something) to break in during programming for severe weather coverage.

I'll reply to that in the CBS 2 thread. (Spoiler alert: you can figure out my answer.)

• Like 1

Meh. It's kinda just there, more than anything else. Outside of current news, it doesn't really offer any new content, but for their lowest-rated newscast, why would they? WCIU wanted a respectable newscast, and that's what they got. It's about as bland as bland can be, but it gets the job done. Last I knew, the ratings were about on-par with the sitcoms that preceded it in that time slot, but it will continue as long as the two stations are satisfied with it (or until it loses money, which might never happen, in the current media landscape).

• Like 1