The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Elgas wanted to be a network correspondent (I believe), but when that fell through, he signed with WLS. I'm not sure he's willing to wait some 15 years to succeed Alan (I could be wrong). I get the feeling that Alan may want to shoot for 50 years at WLS. Who wouldn't want to reach such a milestone?

Had Elgas stayed at WMAQ, he probably would have succeeded Rob within 6-8 years. Stafford doesn't seem like he wants the job forever. I could be wrong here too.

I forgot that Ravi is like 51 or something, so his window to be #1 somewhere may be closing, but again, he deserves be #2. Nothing against Elgas, but give the job to Ravi WLS.

Elgas may not want to wait 15 years to be #1, but why wouldn't he take #2 until something else comes along?

Also, not sure he would've succeeded Rob at WMAQ as they seemed very high on Stefan at the time.

You could argue Ravi deserves it more, but I think Elgas is the smarter choice looking to the future long term and also a better fit. I guess everyone's ruled out Hosea.

I guess everyone's ruled out Hosea.

He hasn't filled in at 4 in a long while, and has never shown up at 5, 6 or 10. (Sidebar: he and Kathy are a very odd pairing, but she is a lot brighter and lively sharing the desk with him...you know, like the 2 times it's happened.) They're evolving him into a special projects/community affairs guy, essentially filling the void left by retired veterans over the last half decade. It's a very good fit for his talents and personality.

Elgas may not want to wait 15 years to be #1, but why wouldn't he take #2 until something else comes along? Also, not sure he would've succeeded Rob at WMAQ as they seemed very high on Stefan at the time.

You could argue Ravi deserves it more, but I think Elgas is the smarter choice looking to the future long term and also a better fit. I guess everyone's ruled out Hosea.

As much as WMAQ may have liked Holt, I guarantee you that he would have (at some point) left for either New York or LA. The opportunity came and he left (without much hesitation it would seem).

WMAQ is a stepping stone type of station really. That may change the day they become #1 outright, but that's how I (and maybe others) see them.

Yeah, many have given NBC 5's bosses a lot of credit for building up talent like Holt, Faris and Zee, but that can be seen as a double-edged sword. If Chicago is such a destination that can retain the likes of Skilling, Magers, Suppelsa and million others over the years, then some could question WMAQ's long-term desirability. Either way, that's a discussion for another day.

I am glad to see that Cheryl and Alan will have a regular newscast together. I would like to see Sylvia Perez return at 4pm and anchor with Linda, but I doubt that will happen with those in charge at ABC 7...I assume Hosea Sanders or Rob Elgas will get the spot.

More from Feder this morning. He states that Insiders are saying that Elgas is the "odds-on favorite" to succeed Alan at 4pm.

He also stated that Judy could also "be in line" to replace Linda at 4pm, but as he pointed out "that’s still a long way off".

The one to replace Linda at 4pm should have been Sylvia Perez! In fact, they should have Sylvia return and be on with Linda at 4pm to replace Alan.

• Like 3

Ron Magers & Carol Marin together again! We're just minutes away on Chicago Tonight!

Just caught the replay...They haven't missed a beat. There's a genuine trust and respect (chemistry if you will) between these two that remains, in my eyes, unmatched by anyone else in this market. I hope to see (in some compacity) these two together again.

• Like 3

Do you think, had WMAQ not pursued a tabloid bent and Ron and Carol had stayed, that they eventually would have unseated WLS?

It's not a crazy thought. While Ron and Carol's resignations were two of the catalysts that led to management's firing, I do believe the bosses would've been canned in due time. If the two anchors last long enough, they would have likely faced off against a more beatable post-Drury team of Krashesky and Burns on 7. That said, if Carol never leaves 5, and their ratings fall to the bottom, Lester Holt and Linda Maclennan on 2 likely benefit and don't get demoted in favor of Carol's solo newscast in 2000.

A lot of variables, but I think it's clear that WLS was (and still is, to a point) so dominant because of key mistakes from WMAQ and WBBM through the late 90's. People don't realize how close both stations were to unseating the leader about 20 years ago. A few of CBS 2's formats actually had temporarily competitive periods, and Ron and Carol came within a point of the top several times, frequently winning in the demo. Sound familiar?

• Like 2

Damn...

[MEDIA=twitter]723343022184783872[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]723346417922641920[/MEDIA]

Double damn...

As much as I think he should retire (he seems sick/unwell more often than not). Hats off to him for setting the record straight.

WLS is marking this Throwback Thursday with a few bloopers and gags from Ron Magers' days in Minneapolis. As funny as these are, color me stunned that they actually had the guts to post this. The extended reel, though, has a whole lot more that I guarantee won't be rolled out for the publicized retirement remembrances.

"You make this crap worth my time."

Solid pick. I maintain that his time in the field over the last year has improved his delivery at the desk. It seemed like a given from when Rob he was hired, but I am sorry that Ravi's not getting it, too. We'll see how that goes.

From the station: http://abc7chicago.com/careers/rob-elgas-promoted-to-anchor-abc-7-chicago-eyewitness-news-at-4-pm/1330510/

1330602_800x450.jpg

• Like 1

Solid pick. I maintain that his time in the field over the last year has improved his delivery at the desk. It seemed like a given from when Rob he was hired, but I am sorry that Ravi's not getting it, too. We'll see how that goes.

From the station: http://abc7chicago.com/careers/rob-elgas-promoted-to-anchor-abc-7-chicago-eyewitness-news-at-4-pm/1330510/

1330602_800x450.jpg

Good pick! It might be that Ravi is content with his current position. He might enjoy both the role of Anchor and Reporter. Just a thought.