The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Fixed the link. I'd be interested to see what would happen to the numbers if WGN got out at 10, but that won't happen anytime soon. Would 7 and 2 (to a lesser extent) rebound, or would those viewers abandon the time slot? Otherwise, 5 and 7's demo numbers are on-par with recent months, so I don't think either of those two are surprised, or even too disappointed...considering these numbers are didn't really deviate from the October books.

The year over years tell the story... Month to month isn't a good measure...

There are a large number of protesters outside of the studio right now. Was this the case in the earlier shows? I wonder if they may relocate to the auxiliary studio tonight if they're still there at 10.

Shut the shades would be my guess... The protests don't sound out of control... Just distracting.

Shut the shades would be my guess... The protests don't sound out of control... Just distracting.

The shades have been down all day, I saw they were closed yesterday too. The problem I could see is that any chanting that may start up may make it's way on-air. I know the studio is fairly soundproofed, but it's not 100%...

The shades have been down all day, I saw they were closed yesterday too. The problem I could see is that any chanting that may start up may make it's way on-air. I know the studio is fairly soundproofed, but it's not 100%...

Oh yeah.. That could certainly be a problem. Hopefully the protests die down a bit. On the bright side they don't have very far to go to get a live shot...

Nothing was adjusted. They were passing the studio around 7, and that broadcast went off fine. They relocated by the city Christmas tree after that and some made fools of themselves there pulling strings of lights off.

Nothing was adjusted. They were passing the studio around 7, and that broadcast went off fine. They relocated by the city Christmas tree after that and some made fools of themselves there pulling strings of lights off.

These protests have been pretty gentle it seems... Good for the city... Not so good for sweeps.

It's definitely worse tonight, but the weather is better, more people are available with more time to "plan", so it's not too surprising. As is frequently the case, the tonight's crew at the Christmas tree are doing nothing to help their cause in the court of public opinion.

...But that's another discussion for another thread on another forum that I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

It's definitely worse tonight, but the weather is better, more people are available with more time to "plan", so it's not too surprising. As is frequently the case, the tonight's crew at the Christmas tree are doing nothing to help their cause in the court of public opinion.

...But that's another discussion for another thread on another forum that I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

I wasn't meaning to go there except to say there isn't as much to cover as there has been in areas that got out of hand. As uncomfortable as this fact is A riot would be good for ratings, probably very good. How has it been covered on 7 anyways (I haven't had any time to peek at it the last couple days).

• Like 2

I wasn't meaning to go there except to say there isn't as much to cover as there has been in areas that got out of hand. As uncomfortable as this fact is A riot would be good for ratings, probably very good. How has it been covered on 7 anyways (I haven't had any time to peek at it the last couple days).

No, I get it. As for coverage, it's been better than I thought. They've had a tendency over the years (especially during the latter part of Emily Barr's tenure) to go to long on a subject and beat a dead horse. The reporting on this has been well-balanced within the broadcasts. As for the controversial decisions on airing the police footage, they went rather conservative showing it very few times, and considering they received a leaked copy hours before the official release, it's commendable that they didn't go too nuts with it. All this considered, there are two other operations in town that would've crammed it down your throat for shock value if in a similar situation. Heck, I heard that the folks at the bottom of the dial ran the video over and over in a loop, which is about as tasteful as you'd expect. Personally, and I know how terrible this sounds, the video was not hardly as graphic as anybody thought (though still very sad and jarring), and that's likely had an impact on how it's been covered.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what to make of this promo. On one hand, I love it. On the other hand, it's so unlike their normal work, that I don't know if it fits. That said, the casual nature of it makes it rather refreshing, while not feeling cheesy, like some of the morning show promos have been over the years. If this is a direction they're going with imaging, I'm not against it.

• Like 1

I don't know what to make of this promo. On one hand, I love it. On the other hand, it's so unlike their normal work, that I don't know if it fits. That said, the casual nature of it makes it rather refreshing, while not feeling cheesy, like some of the morning show promos have been over the years. If this is a direction they're going with imaging, I'm not against it.

It's certainly timely given the warm weather... But that's much softer than they usually are...

I'd imagine something like this only flies because of the recent weather. The simplistic style could work once things liven up, but obviously the cutesy imagery and music would be replaced with the usual doom and gloom. Having thought about it for a few hours, the piece strikes me (visually) as something you'd see on WABC or KABC. A lot of their weather and news promos have been done in this style (and no, I don't have any handy for reference).

I'd imagine something like this only flies because of the recent weather. The simplistic style could work once things liven up, but obviously the cutesy imagery and music would be replaced with the usual doom and gloom. Having thought about it for a few hours, the piece strikes me (visually) as something you'd see on WABC or KABC. A lot of their weather and news promos have been done in this style (and no, I don't have any handy for reference).

"Styles" reminds me...

Someone I talked with that worked at all 5 original ABC stations described the styles of the stations like this:

WABC is probably the most flamboyant of them and can be a little over the top. Then you have KABC and WXYZ which have about the same basic style and were always managed the same (which is oddly still true for the most part despite the sale of WXYZ 30 years ago) . KGO is much softer... WLS on the other hand is way way stiffer than the others... This would apply to promos too of course.

Personally I would be happy to see WLS become more middle of the road in its style. Doom and gloom worked better 10-15 years ago I think... With 5 now nipping at their heels how much longer can you stay stiff and complacent and just hope it keeps working? Something has to evolve at some point I would think...

"The most sleet since a long time ago."

Cheryl Scott

Future Chief Meteorologist

Glad to see she's getting into the realm of Louisville weekend morning meteorologist... It's a noteworthy amount of improvement...

Honestly...

7 is doomed in the weather department if she doesn't get a lot of coaching quickly... She's under qualified as it is but you can't front her as the lead meteorologist with a thin resume and limited talent to begin with.. They've made several unforced management mistakes lately...

It's emblematic of why sooner or later Channel 7 is going to outright lose their demo lead to 5...

• Like 1

Nothing Earth shattering here but for the sake of completeness WLS will be airing a syndicated show called "Tapping in with Linda Swain" on Sunday, January 3rd at 2pm. It'll have 3 more episodes in 2016 a new one of which will air quarterly.

3rd item down the list:

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7868-news-notes-fox-32-mark-strehl-abc-7-dolly-mccarthy-scott-childers-rich-warren-barry-butler-670-the-score-more

According to Feder, WLS only had a 0.3 lead at 10, and lost by a full point in the demo. That's quite a wild swing from November, and I'd betcha a bunch of money that lead-in played a big factor, with ABC heavily relying on seasonal programming.

• Like 1

According to Feder, WLS only had a 0.3 lead at 10, and lost by a full point in the demo. That's quite a wild swing from November, and I'd betcha a bunch of money that lead-in played a big factor, with ABC heavily relying on seasonal programming.

Still it's becoming a trend for them to have to fight off 5... Losing by a point in the demo is very bad for them seasonal programming or not... They used to get a big enough tune in rate to negate reruns. The fact that they didn't get that this time is a concern. I would also guess that when Taft, Magers and Yu go (probably in that order) they'll see significant erosion unless they can draw off talent from other stations in town... Their 30 year lead is in jeopardy it appears. Frankly other than a new set their news department is lackluster right now compared to where it was a couple years ago...

This is not a good sign when you have had a big lead for years...

"It marked the eighth consecutive month NBC 5 beat or tied ABC 7 for first place in the adult demo."

Phil was on the first part of the week and has the next few days off, Tracy and Jerry have been off, and Cheryl's been doing all the evening shows. With Cheryl doing the New Year special, it's anyone's guess who shows up for the 7 and 10 tonight. I only say those two, as Cheryl could do the early shows. Heck, Janet Davies and Ravi Baichwal were the team of choice for several years on NYE, and he'd be solo late, while she did a quick hit with Giangreco ahead of the show.

Phil was on the first part of the week and has the next few days off, Tracy and Jerry have been off, and Cheryl's been doing all the evening shows. With Cheryl doing the New Year special, it's anyone's guess who shows up for the 7 and 10 tonight. I only say those two, as Cheryl could do the early shows. Heck, Janet Davies and Ravi Baichwal were the team of choice for several years on NYE, and he'd be solo late, while she did a quick hit with Giangreco ahead of the show.

I say throw Troy in the fire tired and last minute... :D