The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I think we got unspoken confirmation today that Cheryl will not likely be the sole weeknight weather anchor once Jerry retires...at least as long as the WCIU-cast exists. Jerry's off this week, so Phil filled in at 6 and 7 the last two nights. Phil's not coming in tonight, so Tracy was on at four, and Cheryl's now on at five. Sure, maybe Cheryl was busy during the day, but they haven't hesitated to use only one meteorologist for a single night in the past, even with the 5 broadcasts.

I think we got unspoken confirmation today that Cheryl will not likely be the sole weeknight weather anchor once Jerry retires...at least as long as the WCIU-cast exists. Jerry's off this week, so Phil filled in at 6 and 7 the last two nights. Phil's not coming in tonight, so Tracy was on at four, and Cheryl's now on at five. Sure, maybe Cheryl was busy during the day, but they haven't hesitated to use only one meteorologist for a single night in the past, even with the 5 broadcasts.

Yeah, that's not surprising. I mean, they currently have 6 afternoon/evening news anchors, so it would certainly be kind of strange if they only had one meteorlogist for that time period. Cheryl will be the face of ABC7 Weather, but there'll be someone to back her up. After all, she's no Tom Skilling...

I don't know if it's neccesarily confirmation... But their style certainly is to use more than one for whatever purpose that serves...

ABC7 has now gone so far as to do tag-team meteorologists on a Saturday morning. They've got Cheryl working alongside Troy right now.

The push alerts with exclamation points over this storm I got from both 5 and 7 last night were incredibly stupid... 7's was the worse of the 2...

They really don't need that many meteorologist. Its pretty crowded already. Why would they hire another meteorologist????? What is the schedule looking like right now

Weekday Mornings: Tracy Butler

Noon Webcast: Tracy Butler

4pm: Cheryl Scott

5pm: Cheryl Scott

6pm: Jerry Taft

7pm: Cheryl Scott

10pm: Jerry Taft

Weekend Mornings: Troy Christensen

Weekend Evenings: Phil Schwarz

Jerry Taft will be retiring next year and Cheryl Scott will take his place which means that they need another meteorologist to keep the status quo.

• Like 1

ABC7 has now gone so far as to do tag-team meteorologists on a Saturday morning. They've got Cheryl working alongside Troy right now.

they figured they didn't want to get caught slipping or was it an overreaction?

Then they'd be dumping somebody else...

how do you mean they would be dumping someone i was figuring when Jerry is gone would want it will be Cheryl Tracy Troy and Phil as the weather team or continue with the status quo variable and have someone do the mid day broadcasts and if there is a need at night to go double barrel if severe weather coverage is needed

how do you mean they would be dumping someone i was figuring when Jerry is gone would want it will be Cheryl Tracy Troy and Phil as the weather team or continue with the status quo variable and have someone do the mid day broadcasts and if there is a need at night to go double barrel if severe weather coverage is needed

They have a job listing on their website for a meteorologist.

As for Cheryl being on this morning, they probably established that she lives closest. Whether or not she was needed- eh, I'm split on the decision. Phil was also on at noon today, as they're doing hourly online updates.

• Like 1

Weekday Mornings: Tracy Butler

Noon Webcast: Tracy Butler

4pm: Cheryl Scott

5pm: Cheryl Scott

6pm: Jerry Taft

7pm: Cheryl Scott

10pm: Jerry Taft

Weekend Mornings: Troy Christensen

Weekend Evenings: Phil Schwarz

Jerry Taft will be retiring next year and Cheryl Scott will take his place which means that they need another meteorologist to keep the status quo.

Tracy also does a WCL 11am update too I believe. And I think Phil does Sunday mornings?

Troy does them on the weekend mornings. I meant 11am.. the Noon is gone. It was moved to 11am beginning in the early Fall.

Is that a recent development? Because Phil was still doing Sunday mornings after Troy was hired and his bio still has it in there: http://abc7chicago.com/about/newsteam/phil-schwarz/

He'll step in for Phil on the later hours on Sunday, and most Saturday nights in Phil's absence. He'll pop up on the occasional Sunday night, but rarely both nights. He's also done a lot of field reporting during weekday storm coverage, and did the few tag teams with Tracy last winter, when Phil was off himself or in for Jerry or Cheryl. That said, he's never done a solo fill-in M-F. Compared to his predecessor, Mark Bishop, Troy has done far more weekend evening fill-ins in 2 years than Mark did in 8. Mark also NEVER appeared on weekdays, as he was a professor during the week.

Eh, I'm just going to leave this here instead of starting a new thread. Sweeps are all but over, and the results are not surprising. WLS is down big in total viewers (-1.3), likely robbed by a dead last WGN. WMAQ was up a tick in total, and held a 0.1 lead in the demo (which is likely why WLS went solid for 20 minutes tonight at 10). WBBM barely beat WGN for third.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2015/11/24/wls-channel-7-maintains-top-ranking-in-late-local.html

Eh, I'm just going to leave this here instead of starting a new thread. Sweeps are all but over, and the results are not surprising. WLS is down big in total viewers (-1.3), likely robbed by a dead last WGN. WMAQ was up a tick in total, and held a 0.1 lead in the demo (which is likely why WLS went solid for 20 minutes tonight at 10). WBBM barely beat WGN for third.

http://abc7chicago.com/technology/abc-360-camera/404594/

What's with the 360 camera link?

7 is starting to show signs of audience fatigue and also that it and 9 in part share an audience...

What's with the 360 camera link?

7 is starting to show signs of audience fatigue and also that it and 9 in part share an audience...

Fixed the link. I'd be interested to see what would happen to the numbers if WGN got out at 10, but that won't happen anytime soon. Would 7 and 2 (to a lesser extent) rebound, or would those viewers abandon the time slot? Otherwise, 5 and 7's demo numbers are on-par with recent months, so I don't think either of those two are surprised, or even too disappointed...considering these numbers are didn't really deviate from the October books.