The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Mark just let the cat out of the bag on the radio that virtual weather graphics, including the "7-day coming out of the floor", are on the way. Those are likely the other changes down the line that Phil alluded to on opening night.

Oh, and "everything's made of glass. I have to wear pants now...and underwear."

• Like 1

Mark just let the cat out of the bag on the radio that virtual weather graphics, including the "7-day coming out of the floor", are on the way. Those are likely the other changes down the line that Phil alluded to on opening night.

Oh, and "everything's made of glass. I have to wear pants now...and underwear."

I'm sure the entire city of Chicago thanks him for dressing up... :D

Virtual 7 day? That sounds cool...

WLS has introduced an animated news bug for the GMA updates. Like WABC's, it now rotates between the ABC 7 and the stacked 'Good Morning America' logo. I don't know how long it's been this way, though, as I'm rarely up and/or watching. In addition to the regular model, this is the station's third variation of the on screen bug (WCL, WCIU, GMA).

let me guess 32 is under 1 or not measuring?

WFLD isn't on at 10. At nine, they usually score lower than a 2, and WGN typically triples that with something close to a 5. Below a 1 is reserved for 32 and 2 in the mornings.

I DVR'd Jimmy Kimmel last night, am watching it right now, and noticed that ABC 7 ran a promo for the morning news. By itself, that's something they haven't done in a few years, but the notable part is that the lower third said "TOMORROW AT 4AM". No announcement been made, they made no verbal mention in the spot, and my cable guide has not been changed.

I DVR'd Jimmy Kimmel last night, am watching it right now, and noticed that ABC 7 ran a promo for the morning news. By itself, that's something they haven't done in a few years, but the notable part is that the lower third said "TOMORROW AT 4AM". No announcement been made, they made no verbal mention in the spot, and my cable guide has not been changed.

Typo time...

One week into sweeps, WLS has opened up a surprising 2.2 point lead in total viewers at 10 (8.4 to 6.2). ABC 7 and NBC 5 both improved on their lead-ins (5.8 and 5.0, respectively). Of course, it is only based on 5-7 nights of competition (I don't know if Saturday and Sunday nights count, where the two leaders don't compete head-to-head, anyway), but considering they only had a 1 point lead and were down a fraction in the demo last month, the folks at 190 North must be confident. No word on the demo numbers, but I'd imagine that, with this recent boost, they've at least tied WMAQ. WBBM was also "up" about a point this first week, notching a 3.2. WGN, meanwhile, has essentially remained steady at a very disappointing 2.6. "Channel 9's poor showing suggests its star weatherman Tom Skilling [...] doesn't automatically ensure strong ratings results."

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2015/11/06/wls-channel-7-evening-news-pulling-ahead-as.html?ana=twt

• Like 5

One week into sweeps, WLS has opened up a surprising 2.2 point lead in total viewers at 10 (8.4 to 6.2). ABC 7 and NBC 5 both improved on their lead-ins (5.8 and 5.0, respectively). Of course, it is only based on 5-7 nights of competition (I don't know if Saturday and Sunday nights count, where the two leaders don't compete head-to-head, anyway), but considering they only had a 1 point lead and were down a fraction in the demo last month, the folks at 190 North must be confident. No word on the demo numbers, but I'd imagine that, with this recent boost, they've at least tied WMAQ. WBBM was also "up" about a point this first week, notching a 3.2. WGN, meanwhile, has essentially remained steady at a very disappointing 2.6. "Channel 9's poor showing suggests its star weatherman Tom Skilling [...] doesn't automatically ensure strong ratings results."

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2015/11/06/wls-channel-7-evening-news-pulling-ahead-as.html?ana=twt

Every station is down too... And the death spiral for local news beats on...

How much everyone is down, though, is unclear, but the hemorrhaging isn't likely as strong as the writer implies, considering he doesn't include WGN in that stat, but fails to realize that much, if not most of 9's 2.6 came from the other three channels.

FOUND IT! I'm only going to give the numbers at 10pm for this year and the two prior Novembers.

2013: WLS- 8.9, WMAQ- 5.9, WBBM- 5.5, Combined- 20.3

2014: WLS- 9.3, WMAQ- 6.6, WBBM- 4.6, Combined- 20.5

2015: WLS- 8.4, WMAQ- 6.2, WBBM- 3.2, WGN- 2.6, Combined- 20.4 (In-progress)

I like when I'm right.

FOUND IT! I'm only going to give the numbers at 10pm for this year and the two prior Novembers.

2013: WLS- 8.9, WMAQ- 5.9, WBBM- 5.5, Combined- 20.3

2014: WLS- 9.3, WMAQ- 6.6, WBBM- 4.6, Combined- 20.5

2015: WLS- 8.4, WMAQ- 6.2, WBBM- 3.2, WGN- 2.6, Combined- 20.4 (In-progress)

I like when I'm right.

9 gets all its viewers from 7 and 2... How bout that... You just keep tellin 'em J...

New reporter...Will Jones, '06 Northwestern grad from WDIV Detroit. I've lost track of who he technically succeeds, but he appears to be full-time, unlike Thoren and Hernandez.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7780-abc-7-hires-will-jones-as-newest-reporter

This article on Jones' hire hints that ABC 7 is still leading through the first 2 weeks of sweeps.

New reporter...Will Jones, '06 Northwestern grad from WDIV Detroit. I've lost track of who he technically succeeds, but he appears to be full-time, unlike Thoren and Hernandez.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7780-abc-7-hires-will-jones-as-newest-reporter

This article on Jones' hire hints that ABC 7 is still leading through the first 2 weeks of sweeps.

You guys are getting a decent reporter... Not somebody I ran across much but from what I saw his work is very solid.