The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Huh... that's interesting... certainly rare for a station to do this but a definite "we just need a few more points" kind of move. That makes me feel better about why WXYZ has done that the past two Sunday nights in this sweeps. I wonder if 5 and 7 will wind up tied this time around?

My prediction:

NBC 5 didn't do that too.

NBC10 in Philly does 20 minutes of nonstop news at 4pm everyday. If I am not mistaken, it's a tight race at 4pm with 6ABC, so much that 6 scrapped their regular open for a short open so they can get to the news quicker.

Somebody at ABC 7 got wind of the early sweeps results, and in an effort to compete with dueling reality show finale lead-ins tonight, Eyewitness News at 10 went 20 minutes commercial-free. They only took their first break after weather. I can't remember a time that channel 7 has ever done this. I'm recording the 1am rebroadcast of NBC 5's late news to see if they went the same route.

NBC 5 went 22 min before their first break. That is unusual for them as well. First commercial break is usually 10:07/10:08 unless there is a serious news story in which that's around 10:12-10:14.

NBC 5 went 22 min before their first break. That is unusual for them as well. First commercial break is usually 10:07/10:08 unless there is a serious news story in which that's around 10:12-10:14.

Wow.... They got the same idea... Interesting.

Wow.... They got the same idea... Interesting.

WLS reportedly did this on Monday and Tuesday with WMAQ responding yesterday to the challenge. WMAQ has used this tactic before and WFLD has used a different type in the past also.That said, look for MAQ' to run a promo saying they are #1 @ TEN (with an * noting it's actaully a win in the demo and not households/total viewers in the smallest print possible). Gotta love their competitive spirit!!!

WLS reportedly did this on Monday and Tuesday with WMAQ responding yesterday to the challenge. WMAQ has used this tactic before and WFLD has used a different type in the past also.That said, look for MAQ' to run a promo saying they are #1 @ TEN (with an * noting it's actaully a win in the demo and not households/total viewers in the smallest print possible). Gotta love their competitive spirit!!!

I love the fact that someone else is gonna claim #1 In something and it's name isn't WLS. 7 did indeed go commercial free for the first 20 minutes at 10 Monday too.

ABC 7 went commercial-free through weather again tonight, while NBC 5 went to break after a slightly longer than normal 12 minutes. CBS 2 is unphased by any of this, despite their lead-out.

ABC 7 went commercial-free through weather again tonight, while NBC 5 went to break after a slightly longer than normal 12 minutes. CBS 2 is unphased by any of this, despite their lead-out.

7 is very nervous...

7 is very nervous...

Yes and no...at least they shouldn't be, yet. I think if they were going to lose the demo by a much wider margin, they might not have tried such a move, not to admit defeat, per se, but because they knew it would be an insurmountable lead. This last-ditch effort strikes me as a quick, easy-to-throw-together attempt to make up the difference. If it worked, great, if it didn't, so be it.

Again, I'm still trying to figure out why this is such a big deal. NBC 5 has pulled off a few sweeps demo victories in the last several years, and it hasn't gotten this kind of press. I still maintain that this isn't going to be very notable until WMAQ strings a few of these together. THEN ABC 7 can worry.

Either way, renewed competition is a good thing.

Yes and no...at least they shouldn't be, yet. I think if they were going to lose the demo by a much wider margin, they might not have tried such a move, not to admit defeat, per se, but because they knew it would be an insurmountable lead. This last-ditch effort strikes me as a quick, easy-to-throw-together attempt to make up the difference. If it worked, great, if it didn't, so be it.

Again, I'm still trying to figure out why this is such a big deal. NBC 5 has pulled off a few sweeps demo victories in the last several years, and it hasn't gotten this kind of press. I still maintain that this isn't going to be very notable until WMAQ strings a few of these together. THEN ABC 7 can worry.

Either way, renewed competition is a good thing.

It's probably getting the press because 7 is so dominate in EVERYTHING that even one little win perks people like Feder up. Definitely spices up what can be at times a dull thing.

Personally I'm glad to see this... Whether it lasts or not is a totally different thing... It probably won't if past history repeats itself.

He is likely the only one available. Plus, with extended sports coverage, they likely didn't want Karen to anchor the enitire hour solo.

I gotcha... I figured Ravi might have the night off... With Hosea only doing that 7pm show I suppose it makes him fairly flexible if need be. That's actually a pretty nice option to have.

chick goudie is getting reamed for being a hyprocrite for crucifying a flight attendant for doing the industrial right of passage (taking a picture in the engine cowling) while he took a selfie during an emergency depressurization (as he rightfully should be scolded) and not wearing the mask the right way.

chick goudie is getting reamed for being a hyprocrite for crucifying a flight attendant for doing the industrial right of passage (taking a picture in the engine cowling) while he took a selfie during an emergency depressurization (as he rightfully should) and not wearing the mask the right way.

Rightfully get reamed or take a selfie?

chick goudie is getting reamed for being a hyprocrite for crucifying a flight attendant for doing the industrial right of passage (taking a picture in the engine cowling) while he took a selfie during an emergency depressurization (as he rightfully should) and not wearing the mask the right way.

Compared to other investigations, to say Chuck was "crucifying" the flight attendant is a more than little over the top. In the original story, he had been tipped off by several concerned passengers, and took the story to air. The airline told the I-Team that this act by the attendants is against the rules. http://abc7chicago.com/news/ohare-tarmac-photos-land-flight-attendant-in-stew/743723/

In the follow-up a few days later, they rightfully gave all sides another chance to react. They got the opinions of passengers, the airline once more, and also spent a serious chunk of the story giving the flight attendants a voice, all of whom are defending the practice. This report effectively put the story to rest, only opening things up for updates down the line as the airline conducts its own investigation. http://abc7chicago.com/news/flight-attendants-rally-for-colleague-in-engine-photo--/746880/

Again, this is pretty lightweight and standard procedure on Goudie's part.

Compared to other investigations, to say Chuck was "crucifying" the flight attendant is a more than little over the top. In the original story, he had been tipped off by several concerned passengers, and took the story to air. The airline told the I-Team that this act by the attendants is against the rules. http://abc7chicago.com/news/ohare-tarmac-photos-land-flight-attendant-in-stew/743723/

In the follow-up a few days later, they rightfully gave all sides another chance to react. They got the opinions of passengers, the airline once more, and also spent a serious chunk of the story giving the flight attendants a voice, all of whom are defending the practice. This report effectively put the story to rest, only opening things up for updates down the line as the airline conducts its own investigation. http://abc7chicago.com/news/flight-attendants-rally-for-colleague-in-engine-photo--/746880/

Again, this is pretty lightweight and standard procedure on Goudie's part.

I wanted a third story on why that engine photo culture exists... I've been around other modes of transportation enough to know employees would never even think to do stuff as boneheaded as that.