The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I'm wondering if (unlike when EWN S1 debuted for mornings) this really is a placeholder move, as Ratner has been off the last week or two, with Rose doing promos and stuff. Now, that might signal to some that they're dropping Ratner, but they wouldn't be using him (and paying him) for the other opens and stuff.

Yeah and in the Hearst thread it was pointed out that WBAL has been using a different voiceover instead of Ratner. KFMB is using the Inside Edition guy to voice promos and have been using him for at least two weeks. Not sure if Ratner is ill or just on vacation.

It looks like Bill Ratner did the top of the hour opener, the talent rejoin, and the Weather opener, but apparently they realized last minute that they didn't have an opener voiceover for the bottom of the hour, so they had Roger Rose do that opener.

That's pretty disjointed: brand new newscast, and it's got two different v/os on it.

Bill is fine. He's just on vacation for a couple weeks far away. For some reason, they forgot the bottom of hour opener during the initial recording session before he left or it was a last minute decision to have one so Roger was used. The station currently has contracts with both voiceovers so it's not a cost issue. Bill brought his computer and a mic with him on to record promos for a certain network but is staying away from local station work while on vacation. Plus, the sound quality wouldn't be as good coming from his hotel room as his own studio. ;)

I'm just going to mention it here, since this forum is the primary reason why I got into posting videos on YouTube; I just got a new laptop, desktop, television tuner and antenna. That means I'm going to do my best to get better copies of various opens, themes, etc. over the next several weeks. Skipping audio and spotty video quality plagued many of the other videos I put online.

So, to lead off (mainly as a tester), I finally, after 15 months, captured and uploaded the top of the hour open of 'Eyewitness News at 4PM'...

[yt]WukJf-NsLrs[/yt]

You made the recommendation, right? Either way, it's the WinTV-HVR 955Q. It's working well, so far. I have it hooked up to a set-top antenna sitting next to my basement window, and I'm picking up all the primaries just fine, save for WBBM. I'm going to record The U-cast tonight, and get the clean opens up ASAP. I'll work on the morning opens in due time, but dang it, I'm going to have to get myself out of bed to do it.

You made the recommendation, right? Either way, it's the WinTV-HVR 955Q. It's working well, so far. I have it hooked up to a set-top antenna sitting next to my basement window, and I'm picking up all the primaries just fine, save for WBBM. I'm going to record The U-cast tonight, and get the clean opens up ASAP. I'll work on the morning opens in due time, but dang it, I'm going to have to get myself out of bed to do it.

The mornings are the tough ones to get especially if you get the evenings usually. I made the recommendation so I'm glad to see you went out and got it. What are you using to edit the files and add the nice fade at the end?

SUCCESS! I'll have to try again Monday to get the main open, as the signal went bad for a few moments. But, in the meantime...

The talent open:

[yt]GlKW-XP513w[/yt]

The 7:30 rejoin:

[yt]EYg9aH-ijL0[/yt]

And Mike at 6. No 10pm preview during Wheel tonight, so suspense builds. Meanwhile, Giangreco was dreading/b#tching on the radio last week about having to do 25 sportscasts this week. You'd think Dionne would fill a shift or two.

Even I think it could be a little excessive to take note of whoever is doing weather each night, but with Jerry out again, Mike will appear at 10 tonight. So, it seems like Mike will do the 4 and 6, Cheryl will appear at 5 and 7, and they'll alternate at 10 each night.

Seems fair enough, especially as a primary back-up plan.

I have a feeling that they're not going to put too much into this, since they already have the midday webcast. It's probably just easier to use the main graphics and have Krash record the bit alongside the webcast.