The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I just thought it was funny, and that at least someone else would it funny too.

I'm not criticizing you, it's a great find on your part. I'm just not sure I get what they are trying to satirize. So any criticism is all on them.

Maybe it work in an Onion sort of way?..

I'm not criticizing you, it's a great find on your part. I'm just not sure I get what they are trying to satirize. So any criticism is all on them.

Maybe it work in an Onion sort of way?..

You're right, it's a sister site of the Onion.

I think I figured out the problem with WLS' school closing graphic. I took a screengrab of their closure bar and laid it over their old graphics, and I realized that they merely used the pre-Eyewitness News template with updated fonts and colors, as it fits perfectly under the old bug...

snowclose_zpsae1b05b4.png

Oh, and 'busses' is an acceptable spelling, despite how wrong it looked to me. Frankly, I don't know why ABC7 doesn't just shave some blue off the bottom, and shift the whole thing down a few millimeters to fit in the normal gap under the lower thirds. NBC5 uses a similar layout as ABC7, but theirs sits even lower than 7's. As for WLS' web/Facebook/Twitter flipper being blocked, I don't mourn it's disappearance, though a little tech screw-up yesterday and today revealed that the bug is not covered, but in fact cropped and cut just below the circle 7. I took a few caps from today's newscast and fused them together to prove my point.

snowclose2_zps26be393f.png

The left-most portion of the ticker ("Cook - Dolton") is where it currently sits, the right portion is where it should be to entirely fall under the L3's. The whole image of the anchors shows the cropped-off bug.

Feder's got a write-up this afternoon on Terrell Brown on the eve (of the eve of the eve of the eve) of his debut as Hosea Sanders' morning show successor, at the tender age of 27 (which might still be older than Stefan Holt on NBC5). I knew he was young, but gosh darn, I didn't think THAT young, haha. For some perspective, Hosea was around 37 when he first anchored 'Eyewitness News This Morning', Kathy Brock was barely past 30, and even Alan Krashesky was a ripe old 28 when the program premiered in '89. The article claims that the outgoing, time-shifting Sanders has served as a mentor to the up-and-comer, and Brown even has the copyrighted Ron Magers Seal of Approval...

“Terrell came very highly recommended. He worked on a West Coast project where my brother, Paul, met him and spoke very highly of his skills. Much as it pains me to admit it, my brother was right.”

Hopefully this article is incorrect as I thought Hosea was just transferring to evenings and not actually leaving the station:

It says he is leaving his current position. His new position is the evening shift. Also, just out of the blue, who will be his sub? Ron or Alan?

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wls-names-terrell-brown-morning-co-anchor_b137564

It says he is leaving his current position. His new position is the evening shift. Also, just out of the blue, who will be his sub? Ron or Alan?

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wls-names-terrell-brown-morning-co-anchor_b137564

They have since corrected, then, because it said station before. As for his sub, I don't know. I could easily see Cheryl Burton being Linda's main sub, maybe even Alan's, as she will now be the only anchor (not counting Hosea) without 2 desk shifts (the 10 doesn't count). On the other side, and I said it before, I'm guessing Ravi will shift to being Terrell's back-up, as he will see far less time now that there will be 3 evening guys, and Hosea will probably be the main fill-in at 4 and/or 5...but that only makes too much sense.

Great send-off for Hosea this morning. In addition to some highlights (old sets, themes, and #HoseaWithHair), they surprised him with his mom, flown in from [southern state]. Also visiting were his two former co-anchors, Leah Hope and Lauren Cohn, who gave him a hammer to smash his alarm, as he gave her 18 years ago.

Great send-off for Hosea this morning. In addition to some highlights (old sets, themes, and #HoseaWithHair), they surprised him with his mom, flown in from [southern state]. Also visiting were his two former co-anchors, Leah Hope and Lauren Cohn, who gave him a hammer to smash his alarm, as he gave her 18 years ago.

A very moving send-off. You can tell how much love he has for the morning team.

http://abc7chicago.com/society/hosea-sanders-goes-primetime-on-abc7/468264/

13 years and 9 months with the four of them together (with Roz, Tracy & Judy).

I dunno if that's the longest tenured anchor team in the station's history though.

But nevertheless, that was one hell of a sign-off this morning. After two decades, Mornings on 7 will surely be different without Hosea.

13 years and 9 months with the four of them together (with Roz, Tracy & Judy).

I dunno if that's the longest tenured anchor team in the station's history though.

The Krash/Brock/Taft/JR 6pm team has been together since Floyd Kalber retired in '98, unless you count Goudie since he's been in the talent open since 2011. The 5 and 10 teams go back to the spring of '03, and could theoretically pass the morning team depending on when Jerry retires.

Either way, none of these teams can hold a candle to WGN's weekend crew, intact for 20 years.

The Krash/Brock/Taft/JR 6pm team has been together since Floyd Kalber retired in '98, unless you count Goudie since he's been in the talent open since 2011. The 5 and 10 teams go back to the spring of '03, and could theoretically pass the morning team depending on when Jerry retires.

Either way, none of these teams can hold a candle to WGN's weekend crew, intact for 20 years.

Wasn't the 11am team on from 1992 to 2013? And I believe the 4pm team has had a long tenure as well.

Wasn't the 11am team on from 1992 to 2013? And I believe the 4pm team has had a long tenure as well.

I was mainly referring to current teams, but yes, the 11am duo lasted (most of) that run, but only, haha, included Tracy Butler for 18 years.

If you don't include Sylvia Perez, the 4pm crew will hit 10 years in may. The team of Joel Daly, Linda, Jerry, and JR was together from like '85/86 (I think Mike Adamle did sprts for awhile at launch in '84) until 2004, when Mike moved off weekends.

The new morning talent open debuted with Terrell this morning, and Roger Rose is back as voiceover. He does put a little more power in his narrations than before, but he's still just okay. The big issue I have is that Bill Ratner's still doing the short opens. It would be one thing if Rose did mornings and Ratner did evenings, but in the same broadcast?

Ugh.

The new morning talent open debuted with Terrell this morning, and Roger Rose is back as voiceover. He does put a little more power in his narrations than before, but he's still just okay. The big issue I have is that Bill Ratner's still doing the short opens. It would be one thing if Rose did mornings and Ratner did evenings, but in the same broadcast?

Ugh.

"Hey Who's cheaper this week"?

"Rose, use him, we don't care if it doesn't match".

He's not a bad VO but consistency anybody?

I'm wondering if (unlike when EWN S1 debuted for mornings) this really is a placeholder move, as Ratner has been off the last week or two, with Rose doing promos and stuff. Now, that might signal to some that they're dropping Ratner, but they wouldn't be using him (and paying him) for the other opens and stuff.