The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I know there's been some shifting around of producers and directors lately, so maybe that was an experiment (but likely sweeps-related). Clearly, they like the position switch. And besides, more commercials aired... :D

I know there's been some shifting around of producers and directors lately, so maybe that was an experiment (but likely sweeps-related). Clearly, they like the position switch. And besides, more commercials aired... :D

Gotta make those dollars.... I'm glad they kept it as a toss though.

6-way split screen. Y'all know this is a big thing. Betcha they didn't think it would be this cold when they starting handing out anchor assignments. I am curious to see, though, who will anchor the 4 o'clock news, as coverage of this installation will be concluding at 4.

cupichsplit_zpsb69adbcf.png

Eh, I was just going to post this in the more relevant thread, but here's the first 22 minutes of ABC 7's live coverage this afternoon for the installation of the new Archbishop.

[yt]BJLZ2Y0lYFM[/yt]

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have it. Too fat, stuffed, and sleep-deprived to bother capturing it.

I will say, though, I was a wee bit disappointed in the lack of positions for Ron. Only 5 this year (desk, both stand-ups, weather center, in front of the desk next to a sitting Dionne Miller), compared to doing 6-8 the previous two years. No touch screen, no window stand-up, and Jerry said Ron would've gone outside if it wasn't so cold.

Did you guys not see Feder today?! Maybe it's the paywall crap. Or maybe it's because he buried it so far down in a sweeps wrap-up focused on WGN. But this made my eyes pop-out of my head 'cause, ummm, it's REALLY happening...and seemingly a lot sooner than later...

"Even so, changes are imminent in the station’s front line, with chief meteorologist Jerry Taft soon to be succeeded on ABC 7’s top-rated 10 p.m. newscast by Cheryl Scott, former weekend meteorologist at NBC-owned WMAQ-Channel 5. An official announcement is expected before the end of the year."

Did you guys not see Feder today?! Maybe it's the paywall crap. Or maybe it's because he buried it so far down in a sweeps wrap-up focused on WGN. But this made my eyes pop-out of my head 'cause, ummm, it's REALLY happening...and seemingly a lot sooner than later...

"Even so, changes are imminent in the station’s front line, with chief meteorologist Jerry Taft soon to be succeeded on ABC 7’s top-rated 10 p.m. newscast by Cheryl Scott, former weekend meteorologist at NBC-owned WMAQ-Channel 5. An official announcement is expected before the end of the year."

Well that's gonna go well, I hope 7 knows what it's doing. They are bound to trip up sooner or later.

We didn't miss it, we discussed this a while ago.

What in the holy fuck? I can't even put this one into words, so I'm going to quote the Feder article directly...

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/10/20/with-offer-from-abc-7-sun-is-shining-for-cheryl-scott/

Whatever CircleSeven says about this, I wholeheartedly agree (on this move, anyway). However, I did capitalize a key term to reassure (mostly myself) that NOTHING is set in stone, but Ms. Scott's seemingly inflated ego will likely seal this deal. I hope Mr. Idler is prepared to fill 1, 2, or even 3 other weather positions if and when this is finalized.

We discussed this on October 20th.

We didn't miss it, we discussed this a while ago.

I remember that too but weren't we a little more uncertain beyond the fact they might sign her depending on what WMAQ does. This is much more concrete than what we talked about before.

I'm guessing that NBC 5 has formally passed on rehiring her since the initial Feder report. At this point, the ball is officially in ABC 7's court, as WMAQ's refusal was the only potential hiccup.

I remember that too but weren't we a little more uncertain beyond the fact they might sign her depending on what WMAQ does. This is much more concrete than what we talked about before.

Also, IIRC, the reporting at that time was that she would "eventually" succeed him. Today, it seemed like Feder was implying that she's going to replace him immediately, since "changes are imminent."

Looks like I'm switching to WGN.

As we discussed in October, the other weather personalities should be pretty pissed about this decision. ESPECIALLY CAPLAN!!! He's much better than her, he deserves to be called "chief."

Can you say "We're playing for younger viewers"?

I don't think Tracy should be mad. I don't think she was really seen as the front runner to replace Jerry. I think both Phil and Mike should be mad though. They have been around for a while now, and while we never really knew which would, we expected them to go with one of them to replace Jerry.

Ideally, I think Mike should have gotten 6&11 and Phil should have gotten 4 & 5 or vis-versa. Then Troy could have taken over on the weekends.

According to Linda Yu, Sylvia Perez was a panelist on WYCC's 'In the Loop' news/talk show last night. I haven't looked for it online, but I can't imagine that it would be hard to find.

Update: WYCC is God-awful at posting video to their website, but the episode is airing again Saturday morning (12/6) at 1AM and Sunday evening (12/7) at 6:30PM.

I wish those two can anchor at 4 on ABC 7 just like they used to at 11 again. I know, it will never happen but still... They set the bar so high for news outlets in Chicago when they anchored together Midday in my opinion. If WFLD was smart, they would've worked something out with her. I know its a far stretch with them, I just wish they would realize she could boost ratings on their 9 p.m. show.