The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

That's what I thought, I'm kind of surprised Kimmel isn't since it's an O&O. Didn't know if they had changed it yet or not. I wonder how easy Ron could make fun of him if it was customized and he said "Thanks Ron and Kathy". I'll have to watch and see him react now.

Kimmel begins the tease with an unenthusiastic "Thanks", and says who's on the show. Ron tosses to Jimmy with an overenthusiastic, often high pitched, almost smart-ass "THANKS!".

It doesn't sound funny, but when you notice it every night, it's funny.

Kimmel begins the tease with an unenthusiastic "Thanks", and says who's on the show. Ron tosses to Jimmy with an overenthusiastic, often high pitched, almost smart-ass "THANKS!".

It doesn't sound funny, but when you notice it every night, it's funny.

One thing that is interesting about the custom versions is that they also say "Thanks, (Anchors names)". When the episode is a repeat however, even if the anchor team is the same as when the episode first aired with the proper customization, the line becomes simply "Thanks". It gives an unintentional clue whether the episode is new or not, the teases are also so stupid you can recognize them when they get reused.

He's been doing it for several weeks, if not a few months.

Ok, then nobody cares, I suppose a portion of the audience is thinking the same thing, I will say his is hilariously subdued and sarcastic compared to Kimmels dry attempt at sounding upbeat.

He uses that humor on Twitter, too. He doesn't post often, but he's still a good follow if you're into that.

By the way, there 4 male anchors on the air today. Hosea anchored with Tanja this morning, Terrell helmed WCL and the daytime 4pm promo (maybe even the noon webcast), while Alan (back in time from the Catholic conference in NOLA) and Ron handled their normal duties. First time they've had this many guys in one day since Joel retired 9 years ago.

He uses that humor on Twitter, too. He doesn't post often, but he's still a good follow if you're into that.

By the way, there 4 male anchors on the air today. Hosea anchored with Tanja this morning, Terrell helmed WCL and the daytime 4pm promo (maybe even the noon webcast), while Alan (back in time from the Catholic conference in NOLA) and Ron handled their normal duties. First time they've had this many guys in one day since Joel retired 9 years ago.

Isn't that the norm, except with Ryan instead of Terrrell?

Not bad, I thought it was interesting that Terrell was helming WCL and the To Go webcast (checked in on the app and saw the clips after it had ended so he was there too). Has he done the midday stuff only before like that? I still only see him sporadically, is there a good time to catch him since I really haven't had the chance to see him enough to form an opinion.

Ryan does not helm WCL's news updates (I assume thats what the helming was that was mentioned). Terrell would have been filling in for either Alan or Linda. Tonya Babich, Judy Tsu and Hosea Sanders have done WCL and or the noon as well.

Isn't that the norm, except with Ryan instead of Terrrell?

Nope. It's Linda doing news during WCL and Alan on the webcast. I'm guessing they had Terrell ready in case Alan didn't return in time. Ryan doesn't count, as the talker is effectively seperate from the news division.

Nope. It's Linda doing news during WCL and Alan on the webcast. I'm guessing they had Terrell ready in case Alan didn't return in time. Ryan doesn't count, as the talker is effectively seperate from the news division.

My bad. Misinterpreted your initial post as Terrell filling in for Ryan, not as news reader.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I gotta brag for a moment. WCL is hosting a Facebook fan day this Tuesday (7/22), and yours truly got tickets. What's more, in addition to the taping, guests of the show will be given lunch (I'd assume, as the event is til 2:30), a tour of the State Street Studio, and a meet and greet with many of the anchors and reporters. I'll be sure to take a bunch of pictures.

Oh, and if anyone's ever wondered about the process of attending a talk show, here's the letter I was sent...

Your reservation to attend a taping of ABC 7`s Windy City LIVE has been confirmed. Please review your reservation information below, including the date, time and attendee list. Make sure that the names you supplied as attending the show match EXACTLY the names on their photo IDs. If the name on our list does not match an audience member`s photo ID, that person will be turned away for security reasons. Remember, everyone in your party MUST be at least 18 years old or older. Then, click on the link to view the Confirmation Sheet which contains all the details you will need to attend the taping. Please read through it carefully!! For 9am tapings: check-in is at 8am. 11:00 AM tapings: Please arrive between 9:30 am and 10:00 am and be prepared to stand and wait for approximately 30 minutes prior to entering the studio. You must arrive before 10:00 am in order to be admitted into the studio. Expect to be with us until about 12:30 pm. If for any reason you need to cancel one or more people in your party or change the names of your guests, email us at least 48 hours prior to the taping. Finally, Windy City Live guests should dress their best and be camera ready! Bright colors photograph best. Please no t-shirts, hoodies, tank tops, apparel with large logos or writing, sweatpants, ripped jeans, hats of any kind, shorts, flip flops or any otherwise sloppy, inappropriate or dressed down attire--Dress Up!

Reservation Details:

07/22/2014 11:00 AM

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ABC 7`s Windy City LIVE

Reservation Info Sheet

Please Read All Information Thoroughly

Very Important: This is a confirmation that you have a reservation for seats at a taping of Windy City LIVE, but please understand that no reservation is 100% guaranteed. Occasionally a taping may be cancelled. If this should happen, an audience coordinator will notify you as soon as possible and offer you an alternate tape date. (Windy City LIVE does not reimburse for any travel or hotel accommodations.) Like most television shows, we overbook our audiences to compensate for possible no-shows. Please come with the understanding that there is a slim possibility that you may not be admitted into the show even if you have confirmed reservations. Confirmed audience guests are admitted into the studio on a first-come, first-served basis, so we encourage you to arrive early. You can attend a show up to once per season as the lead of a party, guest of a party, or stand by (our season is from September to August)

Location: Windy City LIVE is located at WLS-TV Channel 7 Studios at 190 N. State Street. Just across the street from the beautiful Chicago Theatre. Upon arrival, please line up just in front of the studio entrance.

Arrival Time & Check-In: For 9am tapings: check-in is at 8am. 11:00 AM tapings: Please arrive between 9:30 am and 10:00 am and be prepared to stand and wait for approximately 30 minutes prior to entering the studio. You must arrive before 10:00 am in order to be admitted into the studio. Expect to be with us until about 12:30 pm. We strongly suggest that you eat well before you arrive since you will be with us for an extended period of time. Everyone in your party must be at least 18 years old and present a valid photo ID with birth date--No Exceptions. Your entire group must check in at the same time. Due to production requirements and the small size of the studio, please understand that your party may not be able to sit together.

Security Screening: No weapons of any kind are permitted on the premises. Also, we cannot accept any gifts, packages, or letters for our hosts or studio guests. Before entering the studio, all guests will be required to pass through a security screening, which may involve a search of person, bags or packages and/or entrance through a magnetometer (metal detector). Anyone who refuses to cooperate with these or other procedures or who attempts to carry a weapon onto the premises (even if licensed to do so) will be denied entrance.

Dress Code: Windy City LIVE audience members should Dress their BEST and be camera ready! Bright colors photograph best. Avoid wearing white or beige (or else you might blend in with the set!) Please no T-shirts, hoodies, tank tops, apparel with large logos or writing, sweatpants, ripped jeans, shorts, hats of any kind, flip flops or any otherwise sloppy, inappropriate or dressed-down attire--Dress Up! If you do not come dressed appropriately, we do reserve the right to turn you away at the door. Please make sure everyone is your party does NOT wear the same color clothing.

Camera & Video Recorders: Photography is permitted during segment breaks. NO flash photography is permitted at any time in the studio. Videography is strictly prohibited.

So, as of today's 4 o'clock news, ABC 7 has significantly upgraded their weather map software and updated some of the graphics. Nothing groundbreaking on the graphics side, but the angled display motif looks better as those slides have been given a 3D effect.

Skilling would be jealous.

So, as of today's 4 o'clock news, ABC 7 has significantly upgraded their weather map software and updated some of the graphics. Nothing groundbreaking on the graphics side, but the angled display motif looks better as those slides have been given a 3D effect.

Skilling would be jealous.

I could be wrong but the 7 day looks a little different to me. I like the 3D effects and the cloud cast.

That's what I mean. A lot of it is really subtle, but it's a big improvement over the flat-but-dimensional thing they had going until today.

Old on the left, new on the right...

Se90l0b.jpg?1

That's what I mean. A lot of it is really subtle, but it's a big improvement over the flat-but-dimensional thing they had going until today.

Old on the left, new on the right...

Se90l0b.jpg?1

Those are some nice improvements, the radar looked decent as well, other than the clouds and 3-d skyline graphics it looked pretty subtle.

I don't see the 6 PM news often, but every time I do, it reminds me of how annoying it is that the opener shows the city in a nighttime state, completely after dark. If I was the station, I would have commissioned both a summer opener (daytime) and a winter opener (nighttime). Either that, or they at least should have done something like the old Hothaus package where the 6pm opener shows the city transitioning from daytime to nighttime. As it stands, having the city be in total darkness at 6pm looks really out of place during this half of the year.

Look up the 6pm weekend open from the debut of the graphics. They do have a dusk-time open, and it looks fantastic. I think it's the best-looking in the package. I don't know why they wouldn't use it, because it could work year-round.

I don't see the 6 PM news often, but every time I do, it reminds me of how annoying it is that the opener shows the city in a nighttime state, completely after dark. If I was the station, I would have commissioned both a summer opener (daytime) and a winter opener (nighttime). Either that, or they at least should have done something like the old Hothaus package where the 6pm opener shows the city transitioning from daytime to nighttime. As it stands, having the city be in total darkness at 6pm looks really out of place during this half of the year.

It likely exists in their system, but the producer failed to swap it out in the rundown as summer approached.

At least in my shop, opens, transitions, etc are run off a server (we call then pdr files) and is generally in the master rundown automatically. And unless the producer changes it, it will lurk there forever.

That's why occasionally after a graphics update, an open won't play or the old version does instead. It's because the show producer didn't update that item in the master. If it won't play period, it's because the item has been deleted out of the system by IT or the TD in charge of maintaining those files.