From EarthWatch to First Alert Weather

ThunderJay27

Just saw a commercial on NBC 10 News Saturday night about the new branding of NBC 10 Weather as "First Alert Weather". They're going to air a special Monday at 7pm. Anyone have any further info on this and what could change or improvements that could be made?

Well for one they're finally going to unify their weather graphics which seem to vary depending on which meteorologist is giving the forecast at a given time. (personal nitpick of mine)

From the promo it also looks like they'll be introducing a new (virtual) weather studio that looks really neat.

Here's the promo:

[yt]TeKWK0pnXiQ[/yt]

It looks like they're implementing a new graphics package. The new camera network is interesting. It can't be WeatherBug, because KYW uses them.

I guess we'll have to tune in to find out.

The camera network is their own sky cam network. They aren't exactly adopting a new graphics package though. They are just jazzing their current weather presentation up a bit.

I don't know about you but First Alert Weather just seems so generic and overused ... R.I.P. EarthWatch :(

Earthwatch has actually been gone for over a year and a half now.

The camera network is their own sky cam network. They aren't exactly adopting a new graphics package though. They are just jazzing their current weather presentation up a bit.

I was going to post the same thing. It's only but like 6-8 cameras or so, unless they use the PennDot cams or introduce new ones.

Earthwatch has actually been gone for over a year and a half now.

True. I liked EarthWatch though. It was distinct and different. First Alert Weather doesn't really strike me as original and it sounds hype.

I'm not. NBC 10 seems to actively avoid what the other stations in the group do these days. Their graphics package is almost completely different than anyone else's despite the fact that it was built on top of Look F. And they're definitely more aggressive than the other O&Os seem to be.

Plus, the ND was from KCRA, and they use First Alert.

If I remember right, actually, KYW tried to use First Alert way back in 2002, but couldn't get the rights. They ended up with "First Warning Weather". That was when they tried to push Chris Dunn as their chief meteorologist. After they poached Kathy Orr (who's been there ten years and counting!), and rebranded to CBS 3, "Eyewitness Weather" became the branding. God, its weird how stable - and boring! - that station has become.

I'm surprised they didn't go and use the name of the actual weather software they're using TruVu Max. I mean they wouldn't have to jump through hoops to get the name since WSI is a corporate sibling.

They aren't the only station using this software, so that's probably a non-starter.

Actually, when looking at the commercial, I notice they have Sheena front and center. Could this also be a changing of the guard from Hurricane to her? It's been slowly happening.

I saw this spot many times over the weekend, and that is what struck me.

They aren't the only station using this software, so that's probably a non-starter.

Well no. 6 and 29 are and 3 is using it's older sibling Titan. Point is none of them use it name in practice so it wouldn't be a big deal. There are stations in other markets that actually do use the name TuVu Max in some form or another so it's not unprecedented.

Speaking on Sheena being in front, I wonder: why they are pushing her to be head of the Meteorologists? I thought for years that Glenn Schwartz was, especially after his shocking double-bypass heart surgery. If that's their way of saying it, it's not a good way.

And susquvalleywgal may have a point. I loved the EarthWatch name, and the BGM accompaniyng it.

I was nearly pissed when NBC10 dropped the name for just "NBC10 Weather"; now that's generic. Although I will warm up to

First Alert Weather. It may take a while though.

According to this trademark from the US Patent and Trademark office' date=' the phrase "First Alert Weather" is owned by Raycom Media: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4805:aqk6om.2.51

How can NBC 10 use the phrase?

Simple. You can use any thing that's trademarked/patented as long as you have permission to which usually means compensating the trademark holder to their liking.

Perhaps Sheena is in the center so that they have alternating genders in line (F-M-F-M-F). Also perhaps b/c she's on at 5pm & 11pm. Perhaps Glenn requested different hours? He is still titled as chief meteorologist. Personally, never saw the appeal in Glenn. He is clearly knowledgeable in the field, but his on-air presentation sucks. You'd think after all these years he wouldn't still stumble with his words or appear nervous in presenting the weather.

I love how they have an opening title before the weather comes on that announces the meteorologists name. I also like the green screen set that shows many weather graphics like the sky cam, radar, and temperatures. I also think it's pretty cool that their doing neighborhood weather. I always get mad at stations when they don't show or say towns that are not major cities. Should be fun when severe thunderstorms, hurricanes, or snow storms roll around.

Just saw a commercial on NBC 10 News Saturday night about the new branding of NBC 10 Weather as "First Alert Weather". They're going to air a special Monday at 7pm. Anyone have any further info on this and what could change or improvements that could be made?

Hurricane might offically be the chief meteorologist until he retires, but Sheena Parveen is clearly ch10's new #1 weather personailty.

You could say its like when Cecily Tynan got bumped up into primetime with Dave Roberts, or even Kate Bilo over at 3 right now. Real difference is 6 kept presenting Roberts as the #1 guy until he retired, and sofar 3 is doing the same with Kathy Orr (altough in her case it might just be until her contract is up), while ch10 is being more blatant on who they consider the star.

Archived