Changes at Global News

ED2

- Global Toronto is getting a new set on Monday. This could mean a nationwide rollout of the new graphics and music that BC1 is currently using.

- The network is officially splitting the Maritimes region. On Monday, Global Halifax and Global New Brunswick will launch. In addition, the 11pm News Final broadcast will be reduced to 30 minutes. However, the 11pm show will be split into two editions for each new region, much like the current setup for the NS/NB Evening News. Additional staff have also been hired at Global NB.

The new look has launched in Winnipeg as of News Final tonight. No new set yet.

Video:

Open:

Rejoin:

As of this morning Global Halifax/New Brunswick has started using the new graphics but is still using their old virtual set which is still looks fine but does not match the colour scheme of the graphics. The new style is definitely a big change from what was being used and has for the most part stayed the same since 2006.

My only beefs so far are that some of the elements are a bit too big, the actual "use" of its elements are a bit too generic (i.e. the weather intro doesn't even have anything remotely weather-y about it), plus there should be some more color variance aside from just blue if they're doing it in this particular style (maybe use more of an orange for the morning?

Aside from that, very unique look they've got here. Also they seem to have gone 16:9 too; this is clearly the new trend.

And why do they feel they need to shoehorn the Shaw logo into the intros too? It feels like something Gannett would do.

It seems not all the Global stations have the Shaw logo shoehorned into the intros. Halifax, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, and BC did not have the Shaw logo appear during the opener.

Also it seems at this point the big 4 stations (Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, BC) got the new virtual news sets while their physical interview sets have been modified.

I have a feeling they will make adjustments to the bug as its seems a big large. I do think they need to add in some more colors other then blue but i don't think that will happen. Overall i like a lot and its very unique.

So now, we have clear archetypes for each network:

• CTV is professional and authoritative
  • CBC is purely digital
  • Global is fresh and renewed (in more ways than one)
  • CityNews really needs an update.

With some further tweaks, Global might finally be on to something. Alongside Look F and the new Hearst look, this might be one of my favourites.

Also, here's an article about it; the entire new package was done by BDA Creative (both the news and accompanying promo graphics).

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2013/04/15/global_news_unveils_new_look.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The big focus was on unification with the new network identity and heavier use of animation. Also, the Global News websites got new looks too; by contrast, it's a lot more flatter/Metro-styled (the main Global website uses the glossier look more like the on-air graphics)

I'm surprised nobody has yet noticed the striking similarities with Global's new look and the look at ABC News Australia. Aside from sharing a similar color palette and Gotham, the opening titles use the same strips animation. It's not exact by any means, but I think I know where Global got their inspiration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALxP-YQeVv4&list=PLF32120DFACE7ABBE&index=14

It's not a bad look, but I think ABC News pulled it off better, and I really liked the teal hues of Global's now old look.

Looked up BDA Creative's website. Not only did they design Global's new on air look, but they also designed the current ITV News look, and the ABC (Australia) News graphics package.

So I can see why Global and ABC's look is a bit similiar to each other.

I'm surprised nobody has yet noticed the striking similarities with Global's new look and the look at ABC News Australia. Aside from sharing a similar color palette and Gotham, the opening titles use the same strips animation. It's not exact by any means, but I think I know where Global got their inspiration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALxP-YQeVv4&list=PLF32120DFACE7ABBE&index=14

It's not a bad look, but I think ABC News pulled it off better, and I really liked the teal hues of Global's now old look.

It didn't dawn on me until you pointed that out but the opens for ABC and Global are pretty similar now.

Here is an open from ABC News Australia for comparison:

I really love the music they use too. Way to go Global! Excellent job on a desperately needed refresher, even their last updated graphics and music looked dated.

• CBC is purely digital

With some further tweaks, Global might finally be on to something. Alongside Look F and the new Hearst look, this might be one of my favourites.

Also, here's an article about it; the entire new package was done by BDA Creative (both the news and accompanying promo graphics).

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2013/04/15/global_news_unveils_new_look.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The big focus was on unification with the new network identity and heavier use of animation. Also, the Global News websites got new looks too; by contrast, it's a lot more flatter/Metro-styled (the main Global website uses the glossier look more like the on-air graphics)

I think Global needed a new image, so to speak. They're still trying to shake off their days with Canwest which was strapped for cash for quite a while and as a result, put little to no money into Global or Global News (remember Global Toronto didn't even have a morning news show for a few years).

It seems like since Shaw bought Global, they've been pouring a lot of money into making Global and Global News more competitive again. And I wish them the best of luck.

I think Global needed a new image, so to speak. They're still trying to shake off their days with Canwest which was strapped for cash for quite a while and as a result, put little to no money into Global or Global News (remember Global Toronto didn't even have a morning news show for a few years).

It seems like since Shaw bought Global, they've been pouring a lot of money into making Global and Global News more competitive again. And I wish them the best of luck.

Global was definitely overdue for a new look. I think between this new look and all of the recent expansions Global has for the most part shaken off whats left of Canwest.

All they need to do now is work on getting their ratings up in Montreal, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, they are in dead last in those markets even CBC has a good lead on them.

Looked up BDA Creative's website. Not only did they design Global's new on air look, but they also designed the current ITV News look, and the ABC (Australia) News graphics package.

So I can see why Global and ABC's look is a bit similiar to each other.

Actually, BDA did just the new ITV News set. Lambie-Nairn did the on-air identity.

• CBC is purely digital

I noticed that the Global News websites are now on the WordPress VIP platform, so now they've crossed over into the Great White North. It looks pretty decent.

• 2 months later...

One more note; The West Block (ironically, the show that first adopted the last revision of Global's old O&O look) still isn't using the new Global graphics

The West Block is on its summer break now, so it's highly likely they'll catch up with the rest of the network in terms of presentation this fall.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived