Sinclair...Again

A3N

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I don't care who started it or who claims to have finished it, JUST STOP IT. Both of you!

Moving. On.

Sorry, I intended it to be one post and to move on, but I probably should've known better once he responded. I hate reading through back and forths as well, so I apologize to everyone else. Nonetheless, I will move on. Again, my apologies!

I doubt it will be a clean sale because WTAT is a top 4 station in Charleston and there are only 6 stations in the DMA.

Also, it is only WHTM being sold to Media General. The non license assets of WTAT are being sold to Cunningham, who say they will operate the station independent of Sinclair.

The headline writer of the article didn't make this clear.

Okay, I don't care who started it or who claims to have finished it, JUST STOP IT. Both of you!

Moving. On.

I already moved on and finished mentioning about about the three developments about Sinclair today. So I've been done talking anything else other than that. So like I said, I'm done.

Also, it is only WHTM being sold to Media General. The non license assets of WTAT are being sold to Cunningham, who say they will operate the station independent of Sinclair.

The headline writer of the article didn't make this clear.

Even with that, I still think that FCC is going to have to ask them how they're going to separate themselves from WTAT & WMMP, because it may not be a full split. They have 34 days to straighten things out.

It's sad that they might finally get the greenlight, which I did not want to see.

The release doesn't say that MG would acquire the non-license assets of WTAT. The non-license assets will go to Cunningham.

Oops--I saw BreakingNews' post, clicked the article and skimmed over it...thanks...

Now that Media General and Sinclair are talking, Sinclair could be a logical buyer for the affected stations in Savannah, Green Bay and Providence.

I don't think they were talking because they both had meet up and had tea together and deal with business, it was Moelis who was the prime mover of WHTM going to MG.

With that said, I hope they don't touch any of the MG spun-off markets. They are other buyers out there that can do a better job than them.

It only happened on one station (WPIX moved Seinfeld back at 11pm and bumped Arsenio to 11:30). I didn't see other stations do it at the time the first run shows are around. Now they've moved the show, since CBS reverse coursed and cancelled the show.

WJW bumped Arsenio to 11:30 a few months ago. And WGN-TV moved it to 10:30 around the same time.

Can we stop using the words/ phrases Devil or Heathens of Hunt Valley or even Sincrap? Love em or hate em, their name is Sinclair!!

I've also noticed that some of you curse calling them @$$e$ and some of you enjoy taking the Lord's name in vain (..... damnit). Can we not have civil discussions without the use of curse words?

I only refer to them as S!nclair because of the word filtering that took place about a year ago (when it was automatically replaced with "Sprinkles Cupcakes" or something to that extent).

Harrisburg will be a good fit for Media General. It'll also be their first PA station, and I'm sure they'll enjoy added political revenue from being in the capital.

I didn't even realize it but that gives MG their 9th capital city. They're already in Richmond, Raleigh, Providence, Albany, Nashville, Columbus, Jackson, and Lansing. Adding seven more to the LIN bunch, and they'll have 16 capital cities, should the LIN deal get the greenlight.

I only refer to them as S!nclair because of the word filtering that took place about a year ago (when it was automatically replaced with "Sprinkles Cupcakes" or something to that extent).

It was something relating to "Our Lord and Savior", and some folks were offended because that's using the Lord's name in vain. And think it was changed to "Equestrian Broadcasting", At least I found that one amusing. Oh and "My Little Pony".

About getTV, here's an article have the list of stations who will be getting getTV this summer. Some will be assigned by the shells.

One of the largest stations that will get it is KATU, KDNL, WNUV, WTTE, & WSTR. It's mostly the legacy (pre-2011) stations that are adding it on there.

It's not on KOMO, because I think Cox have getTV on KIRO 7's subchannel.

So WTVZ in Norfolk is getting getTV but WRLH here in Richmond will not (they already have This TV along with MyNetworkTV on 35.2). Wow.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/media-general-to-acquire-whtm-tv-of-harrisburg-pa-from-sinclair-broadcast-group-2014-06-23?reflink=MW_news_stmp

In other news....Sinclair has is SELLING WHTM to Media General...and selling the non-license assets of WTAT to Cunningham Communications....

Of course....this all depends on if the Allbritton deal goes through. This Cunningham sale seems a little fishy and could be the remaining road block that could hold up the deal.

Now if this becomes Cunningham's first stand alone station, could the other Cunningham stations break away as well? It's a good topic for the speculatron since it involves a station in Birmingham with WDBB that could step in to fill the void of WCFT.

So exactly what I thought would happen.

From earlier in the thread:

First, to the best of my knowledge based upon the new JSA attribution rules Cunningham doesn't need to operate as a separate stand alone company. They only need to operate separately in markets where Sinclair doesn't want those stations attributed them. Charleston is a market where they are proposing to have two separate operations (one Sinclair/WMMP and one Cunningham/WTAT.) It's really not that hard to do. All the physical assets & employees, etc. of the current WMMP/WTAT operation would be transferred to Cunningham to continue as a stand-alone WTAT operation. And, the non-license assets (building & employees, etc.) of WCIV would be transferred to Sinclair for a stand-alone WMMP operation.

I really think they were waiting to get an agreement signed with a buyer for WTHM before submitting the amendments to the FCC. I suspect with that now in hand they will quickly file amendments in line with their latest proposal. And, I suspect David Smith has his army of lawyers on standby ready to file suit if nothing happens in 34 days.

Now that Media General and Sinclair are talking, Sinclair could be a logical buyer for the affected stations in Savannah, Green Bay and Providence.

I don't think they were talking because they both had meet up and had tea together and deal with business, it was Moelis who was the prime mover of WHTM going to MG.

With that said, I hope they don't touch any of the MG spun-off markets. They are other buyers out there that can do a better job than them.

FYI- Moelis is also the primary broker for the MG/Lin stations that are being shopped...just saying.

FYI- Moelis is also the primary broker for the MG/Lin stations that are being shopped...just saying.

You don't need to remind me. I already knew.

I really think they were waiting to get an agreement signed with a buyer for WTHM before submitting the amendments to the FCC. I suspect with that now in hand they will quickly file amendments in line with their latest proposal. And, I suspect David Smith has his army of lawyers on standby ready to file suit if nothing happens in 34 days.

If the FCC don't act on this, it will be a true victory. If they want to pursue legal action, let them. That's just more money out of their pocket. I just hope they rule against them, should it be the case. But it would be a major victory that the stations would finally be in the right hands. Not Sincrap.

I wished more folks in Alabama & Charleston, SC would comment on the FCC site against this deal.

I wished more folks in Alabama & Charleston, SC would comment on the FCC site against this deal.

Someone did, on June 12:

It is my understanding that Sinclair Broadcasting is wanting to discard the Channel 33 UHF frequency allotment for Tuscaloosa, AL. As a citizen of Tuscaloosa all my life, I really appreciated WCFT-TV/33 being a local station that served the local interest of our Tuscaloosa community. When they moved the studios to Birmingham (keeping the antenna in Tuscaloosa for legal reasons) the amount of local coverage and serving our public interest diminished. Our hope was that one day this channel 33 allotment may come back home here to Tuscaloosa. If this proposal is approved, then 33 may never again be part of Tuscaloosa. Our local community will not have this station to serve our interest anymore. Please deny this petition until something can be worked out. Thanks for listening. - Edward Todd

Someone did, on June 12:

I mentioned that earlier. I want to see more folks complain. Not just one. One voice is good, but more voices would speak volumes.

You can't rely on Free Press, since they love to shut down of TV stations, and sending intellectuals on the subchannels. Those are the true hypocritical bastards.

Some questions to ponder as Cunningham "breaks away" from the mothership......

Does this only affect WTAT? Cunningham also has WTTE, WVAH, WNUV, WMYA and WRGT as sister stations heavily controlled by their parent stations WSYX, WCHS, WBFF, WLOS and WKEF.

Who owns Cunningham? If the money is coming from the Smith family itself and its members it's highly suspect. In Deerfield and Howard Stirk's defense, they have owners who are truly outside of the company, even though they still are involved.

How far can a "shared services" agreement be taken? The legal thing to do is to entrust Cunningham with the FCC license, and to ensure them the sole responsibility of selling advertising, and programming the station. What's to stop them from contracting someone else (Sinclair) from doing anything else? I don't see the news share agreements going anywhere, except maybe in Charleston where they can start beaming in WCIV (or WMMP) when the deal with WCSC runs out...

If this comes to pass, expect a show. Maybe a charade where WTAT stands up to Sinclair asserting their ownership by denying some part of Sinclair's control. I wouldn't put it past them to try and hoodwink the FCC.....

Cunningham Broadcasting is owned by Michael Anderson (one of David Smith's former financial advisors). The other banker friend, Stephen Mumblow owns Deerfield Media. There was some applications in which the trust (which that trust belong to the Smith family's mother Carolyn Smith, which she'd passed away in 2012) would be winded down, and Anderson would be the sole owner (without the trust). Those applications are still have yet to be approved by the FCC.

The five other old stations, (WNUV, WTTE, WVAH, WMYA & WRGT, plus WDBB) operate under a grandfathered Local Marketing Agreement. The reason why that WTAT is being broken is because that wasn't a pre-1994 LMA, therefore that cannot be grandfathered. That's why they'd announced that they're breaking away from WTAT.

If this comes to pass, expect a show. Maybe a charade where WTAT stands up to Sinclair asserting their ownership by denying some part of Sinclair's control. I wouldn't put it past them to try and hoodwink the FCC.....

I don't blame you. We just have to see but they'll find some other avenue to closely align with them.

I think they have been on standby for well over a year. There's no way that S!nclair is going to let this deal slip away.

And, quite frankly, they have the right to contest the FCC's inaction if they simply sit on their hands and let the deal lapse. Because, at this moment, the deal is set up as perfectly within the letter of the law. There's nothing to legally object to in the deal. It may not be FAIR, but the law is not fair. All concessions have been made, obviously in the least graceful manner possible, but they have been made.

Thus, expect to hear S!nclair throwing charges of political discrimination by the FCC. This has the potential to get very ugly, very fast.

Sinclair was Our Lord and Savior Broadcast Group and Nexstar was My Little Pony. Oh, what a good time.

Regarding WHTM to Media General... MG needs to overhaul everything. They need to pull a WATN. Seriously.

Sinclair was Our Lord and Savior Broadcast Group and Nexstar was My Little Pony. Oh, what a good time.

Regarding WHTM to Media General... MG needs to overhaul everything. They need to pull a WATN. Seriously.

Why would they have to nuke the station and rebuild it? Has WGAL pulled away in the ratings or has WHP or WPMT passed it?

That makes zero sense. WATN (previously WPTY) has been dead last, 4th place, for a long long time. WHTM is the number 2 station and has dominant ratings (number 1) in the state capital and nearby counties". If you pay attention to ratings you would know that 27 has actually beat 8 in several newscasts in demos over the last few years. It's a growing station that is doing something right and giving channel 8 a good workout, like it or not.

Archived