Sinclair...Again

A3N

Like I said, I don't want to see any layoffs with anyone. But I also said the devils needs to come into reality. And one day, it would really come into reality. And they'll be as worst as Clear Channel. I don't want to see any broadcaster fall. But what these devilish fools in Maryland has done, I wouldn't be shocked in the next few year's their downfall will be shown. They made their bed, now they have to lie on it. I just hope the others don't see that same fate.

Wheeler is another devil. He doesn't care about the broadcasters anyway. He only cares about the cable & wireless gooks. He's trying to make life harder for the broadcasters so they don't have any other choice than to participate to those shitty auctions. I hope most of the broadcasters don't participate, so it'll be a defeat for Wheeler.

Look, you are at odds with yourself here, you don't want see layoffs but you want something that cause MASSIVE layoffs. Perhaps hoping they survive and get it together is the better thing here.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying I'm rooting for Sinclair to fail. But as recently as 2009 they were about to declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Not terribly long after that was when the station acquisition spree began.

If that bankruptcy happened now, it would be a catastrophic event for American local television. Stations would be affected by utter lack of investment, by the mechanisms needed to break up and sell portions of the company, and by layoffs and cuts required to appease Sinclair's creditors. Eventually in this scenario I think Sinclair's television stations would look a lot less like what we're used to in the United States—imagine news production hubbed out of a select number of sites, reduced coverage and newscasts, etc. In addition all of these cuts would require laying off hundreds of people at Sinclair's stations and facilities across the country.

As much as I disagree with SBG's perspective and business strategies, if they were dealt a crushing blow it would really hurt television in this country.

I'm not saying I'm rooting for Sinclair to fail. But as recently as 2009 they were about to declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Not terribly long after that was when the station acquisition spree began.

If that bankruptcy happened now, it would be a catastrophic event for American local television. Stations would be affected by utter lack of investment, by the mechanisms needed to break up and sell portions of the company, and by layoffs and cuts required to appease Sinclair's creditors. Eventually in this scenario I think Sinclair's television stations would look a lot less like what we're used to in the United States—imagine news production hubbed out of a select number of sites, reduced coverage and newscasts, etc. In addition all of these cuts would require laying off hundreds of people at Sinclair's stations and facilities across the country.

As much as I disagree with SBG's perspective and business strategies, if they were dealt a crushing blow it would really hurt television in this country.

Right, that's a good way to view it. Their success, as much as we don't like how they run their stuff, is the better outcome than failure. Things have happened in other industries where one company goes belly up and several more fail like dominoes. It's never pretty and it always weakens the industry for years to come.

Look, you are at odds with yourself here, you don't want see layoffs but you want something that cause MASSIVE layoffs. Perhaps hoping they survive and get it together is the better thing here.

No, I don't want to see any layoffs, but if they fail, they did that to themselves. And like I said I would be celebrate if that happens. Sincrap needs to come into reality. That's my main stance. Again, you're defending them, like you want there's the mecca of all of broadcasting.

And the other side of the token, it would be catastrophic for the television industry. But it's not the fault of the other broadcasters out there. It's those devils fault for building a mammoth-like scale, playing that "bigger-is-better" mantra. I'm telling you that day will come that they'd wished that they wouldn't been buying all those 100-plus stations.

It's so sad that Sincrap is now a "too-big-to-fail" company (like Clear Channel) that if it falls, everybody falls. But I wasn't the one that bought hundreds of stations in the past three years. One day, they'll will wish they didn't buy those heavy amount of stations.

Right, that's a good way to view it. Their success, as much as we don't like how they run their stuff, is the better outcome than failure. Things have happened in other industries where one company goes belly up and several more fail like dominoes. It's never pretty and it always weakens the industry for years to come.

Well I'm a let you hope for the best from these devils because I don't see anything good with Sincrap. None at all.

And how do you know their success is better outcome? We haven't seen anything other than buying everything but the kitchen sink. I don't see anything successful about that. But let these dumb fools to gooble everything like Pac-Man and grow their moutainous amount a debt as high as Mt. Everest, and lets see how long they survive after that. I don't see any good future for these heathens.

No, I don't want to see any layoffs, but if they fail, they did that to themselves. And like I said I would be celebrate if that happens. Sincrap needs to come into reality. That's my main stance. Again, you're defending them, like you want there's the mecca of all of broadcasting.

It's so sad that Sincrap is now a "too-big-to-fail" company (like Clear Channel) that if it falls, everybody falls. But I wasn't the one that bought hundreds of stations in the past three years. One day, they'll will wish they didn't buy those heavy amount of stations.

Well I'm a let you hope for the best from these devils because I don't see anything good with Sincrap. None at all.

And how do you know their success is better outcome? We haven't seen anything other than buying everything but the kitchen sink. I don't see anything successful about that. But let these dumb fools to gooble everything like Pac-Man and grow their moutainous amount a debt as high as Mt. Everest, and lets see how long they survive after that. I don't see any good future for these heathens.

So you will celebrate their failure and the layoffs that go with it. You really can't have one without the other, if you want it to fail then you accept the rest of the consequences and the ripple effect across the industry.

So you will celebrate their failure and the layoffs that go with it. You really can't have one without the other, if you want it to fail then you accept the rest of the consequences and the ripple effect across the industry.

Like I said, if those devils fall, they fall. If they want to continue with their devilish ways, let them. It's their mess that they'd created. So let the chips fall where they go.

Pappas went under, it didn't cause any ripple effect for the others in this industry. But they didn't have that scale that Sincrap had either.

Maybe we need to take a look at this from a differing perspective and that is one where we have seen many firms leave the market. Barrington, fisher, belo, allbritton wanting to get out, London broadcasting and others that decided it was tome to leave the market altogether. Granted it's not the newspaper industry where its a dying breed or radio where so many have given up to the relative corporate overlordship that its taken on.

I'm not defending Sinclair, but they bought stations at an inflated price in some and possible sweetheart deals on other transactions. Sinclair is a business just like exxonmobil. But TV stations transcend private ownership because they are part of the community presence.

To see people on this board discuss Sinclair ad nauseum about how bad or evil they are need to evaluate something. Granted they are in some statoons that we love and have admired as stations of quality and not trash.

To us we dont Iike them because of their extensive use of perceived shady business tactcs to grow to the lengths they are now. The same could be said about nexstar but we don't say much due to them investing in their stations. When the commission doesnt pass any new regulation to close perceived shady business, than at heart any good business will go find those loopholes in the law to make them have a competitive edge. It's capitalistic business at its core. Sinclair and others have taken advantages of companies saying either the following: We are done (local TV and barrington), we are going to a different industry or refocusing (belo and allbritton) or its been a nice run but its time to take the cash before the industry falls off (fisher).

I question how they have been able to do it but the people behind Sinclair aren't devils, maybe not the best in ethical business, but until something changes, they are right now not looking like Enron or WorldCom.

if it were anyone other than the Smith family running this company....it would be a different story and Sinclair would be a very different company because of it.

The bottom line is that they have been on a relentless pursuit of benefitting themselves of any way possible. And if any rule stood in their way, they would either find a way around it, or launch an attack to squash it.

Sure, this is America, and one could perceive this as "living the dream". Walmart could be seen in the same light, because they have found ways to do things better, faster and cheaper than their rivals, and as a consequence, competition has withered away and Walmart is our only choice in some places.

Broadcasting is a different animal. The licenses are few and far between in comparision to a retail chain that can put a location on a spot of land. Sinclair has been at the forefront of systematically destroying regulations that are meant to preserve diversity and competition. Given the FCC's indifference to broadcasting and being overrun by hungry wireless companies that "need" more spectrum to sell to their customers, the information that has been free and plentiful through broadcasting is slowly being put behind a paywall to those who can actually afford it (by way of retransmission consent and all of the money it has tied up in cable agreements and the networks slowing doing an about-face from paying affiliates to demanding increasing reverse compensation). Now with the FCC putting up brick walls after much of the damage has been done, they're going to sit back and watch companies pulling their own stations off the air, reducing choice and quality for viewers just so a company can't own more than one station in a market. All while the FCC is only stoking the fire, the Smith Family is toasting weenies and marshmallows on it ;)

To see people on this board discuss Sinclair ad nauseum about how bad or evil they are need to evaluate something. Granted they are in some statoons that we love and have admired as stations of quality and not trash.

I question how they have been able to do it but the people behind Sinclair aren't devils, maybe not the best in ethical business, but until something changes, they are right now not looking like Enron or WorldCom.

...and look what happened to WorldCom & Enron. If those devils don't get their shit together, they'll be like Enron & WorldCom. It won't matter to me because I would be happy!!!

if it were anyone other than the Smith family running this company....it would be a different story and Sinclair would be a very different company because of it.

The bottom line is that they have been on a relentless pursuit of benefitting themselves of any way possible. And if any rule stood in their way, they would either find a way around it, or launch an attack to squash it.

Sure, this is America, and one could perceive this as "living the dream". Walmart could be seen in the same light, because they have found ways to do things better, faster and cheaper than their rivals, and as a consequence, competition has withered away and Walmart is our only choice in some places.

Broadcasting is a different animal. The licenses are few and far between in comparision to a retail chain that can put a location on a spot of land. Sinclair has been at the forefront of systematically destroying regulations that are meant to preserve diversity and competition. Given the FCC's indifference to broadcasting and being overrun by hungry wireless companies that "need" more spectrum to sell to their customers, the information that has been free and plentiful through broadcasting is slowly being put behind a paywall to those who can actually afford it (by way of retransmission consent and all of the money it has tied up in cable agreements and the networks slowing doing an about-face from paying affiliates to demanding increasing reverse compensation). Now with the FCC putting up brick walls after much of the damage has been done, they're going to sit back and watch companies pulling their own stations off the air, reducing choice and quality for viewers just so a company can't own more than one station in a market. All while the FCC is only stoking the fire, the Smith Family is toasting weenies and marshmallows on it ;)

YES!!!! Tell it! Tell it! Tell it! You nailed it on the head.

That's why we got two devils. Smith & Wheeler. And the one that's really going to lose is the consumers & OTA viewers, because they have to deal with a loss of a TV station. What if that person doesn't want to spend eons of money on cable and that person is a cord-cutter or cord-never. That's a big blow to those consumers.

Like I said, if those devils fall, they fall. If they want to continue with their devilish ways, let them. It's their mess that they'd created. So let the chips fall where they go.

Pappas went under, it didn't cause any ripple effect for the others in this industry. But they didn't have that scale that Sincrap had either.

Pappas's problems had more to do with three factors: friction in the deal that established Azteca America (Ricardo Salinas Pliego does not make for a good working partnership), poorer-than-expected performance of The CW (understandable, and other station groups responded — look at Tribune's big CW debranding), and the physical capital costs of digital conversion.

Pappas had structural problems, not station acquisition/debt load problems.

Pappas's problems had more to do with three factors: friction in the deal that established Azteca America (Ricardo Salinas Pliego does not make for a good working partnership), poorer-than-expected performance of The CW (understandable, and other station groups responded — look at Tribune's big CW debranding), and the physical capital costs of digital conversion.

Pappas had structural problems, not station acquisition/debt load problems.

So which one is worst? Pappas structual issues, or the devils bigger-is-better, bigger deatload issues? I'm of course is saying the latter.

Just you wait. Sincrap's financial problems are going to fall on their asses really hard, they're probably never get out of this. Just like Clear Channel.

Responsibility is the issue. Other groups have willingly kept their growth within reason and have played by the rules by divesting properties when they became in conflict. They also swapped properties and kept their financial house in order by divesting assets instead of racking up mountains of debt.

The smaller, more irresponsible groups have suffered the consequences, and some have even ended up being swallowed by bigger companies who share the same irresponsibility.

This is why deregulation has wreaked havoc on the business world. Companies have grown so big that they cannot fail, while other smaller companies are either crushed or absorbed because of the quest to get bigger. And the people at the top are getting richer, while everyone else is being screwed and seeing their paychecks shrink as their coworkers disappear and responsibilities increase...

Responsibility is the issue. Other groups have willingly kept their growth within reason and have played by the rules by divesting properties when they became in conflict. They also swapped properties and kept their financial house in order by divesting assets instead of racking up mountains of debt.

The smaller, more irresponsible groups have suffered the consequences, and some have even ended up being swallowed by bigger companies who share the same irresponsibility.

This is why deregulation has wreaked havoc on the business world. Companies have grown so big that they cannot fail, while other smaller companies are either crushed or absorbed because of the quest to get bigger. And the people at the top are getting richer, while everyone else is being screwed and seeing their paychecks shrink as their coworkers disappear and responsibilities increase...

That's why Sincrap are the devils. But then that's the whole industry. TV & Radio. And it's sad to say but there's absolutely no way we can reverse this very trend, thanks to deregulation. There's no way. Sad, Sad, Sad.

So which one is worst? Pappas structual issues, or the devils bigger-is-better, bigger deatload issues? I'm of course is saying the latter.

Just you wait. Sincrap's financial problems are going to fall on their asses really hard, they're probably never get out of this. Just like Clear Channel.

I'm not saying Pappas's problems were worse but that they were of a different nature. Their business went under because of poorly performing product, bad joint ventures and high capital expenses.

Clear Channel hasn't gone out of business though...

That's why Sincrap are the devils. But then that's the whole industry. TV & Radio. And it's sad to say but there's absolutely no way we can reverse this very trend, thanks to deregulation. There's no way. Sad, Sad, Sad.

Sorry but regulation is not the answer...

Clear Channel hasn't gone out of business though...

Sorry but regulation is not the answer...

Yeah CC is not out of business yet. It should've been out of business a long time ago. But its um...."too big to fail"?

And, because deregulation has already happen (all these years ago), it's hard to reverse from it. Of course the devils want to see is more deregulation.

And the entire radio industry is being permanently devastated by Clear Channel. Look at their iHeartRadio and "Premium Choice" in-house syndication... it is intentionally set to remove any hint of localism at each and every one of their stations. All of their stations are slowly finishing the process of becoming nothing more than zombie stations with nothing distinguishable from the other. And this is what is effectively a zombie company controlled by a washed-up TV executive who is content with filling the hallway to his office with smog while firing entire sales teams, left and right.

When S!nclair goes under, local television as a whole will perish with it.

THIS. As much as I dislike them - it would cause a lot of people to loose their jobs. Also think about all their suppliers and even syndicated shows. Remember how some news articles attributed Arsenio Halls show being pushed back to midnight was the likely reason for his shows cancellation because they wouldn't get the same advertising rates. Dozens of shows would be on the brink.

Plus some of their side businesses like Dielectric antennas are used by almost every station.

Again, if those devils fall, let them fall. It's they're own fault for their own debt and their devilish tactics. Let the chips fall where they go. And I'm not changing my stance on that.

THIS. As much as I dislike them - it would cause a lot of people to loose their jobs. Plus some of their side businesses like Dielectric antennas are used by almost every station.

Let's not forget why they bought Dielectric. WRLH had a antenna malfunction and found out that firm was going to go out of business (because the FCC has placed that freeze on new channels/maximized facilities) so Sinclair bought the company last year, and made them fix their antenna in Richmond.

Remember how some news articles attributed Arsenio Halls show being pushed back to midnight was the likely reason for his shows cancellation because they wouldn't get the same advertising rates.

Thanks for mentioning this as well. It's the Sincrap that decided that they were going to place Arsenio Hall on the later timeslots for season 2. CBS heard that, and saw some statistical number that they knew it wasn't going to bode well for the future of the show. That was why CBS reconsidered and cancelled the program without notice. So it was the Sincrap that killed Arsenio's late night program. They knew the ratings were low anyway, but they would've made it worst should the program made it for season two.

Again, if those devils fall, let them fall. It's they're own fault for their own debt and their devilish tactics. Let the chips fall where they go. And I'm not changing my stance on that.

Let's not forget why they bought Dielectric. WRLH had a antenna malfunction and found out that firm was going to go out of business (because the FCC has placed that freeze on new channels/maximized facilities) so Sinclair bought the company last year, and made them fix their antenna in Richmond.

Thanks for mentioning this as well. It's the Heathens of Hunt Valley that decided that they were going to place Arsenio Hall on the later timeslots for season 2. CBS heard that, and saw some statistical number that they knew it wasn't going to bode well for the future of the show. That was why CBS reconsidered and cancelled the program without notice. So it was the Heathens of Hunt Valley that killed Arsenio's late night program. They knew the ratings were low anyway, but they would've made it worst should the program made it for season two.

Can we stop using the words/ phrases Devil or Heathens of Hunt Valley or even Sincrap? Love em or hate em, their name is Sinclair!!

I've also noticed that some of you curse calling them @$$e$ and some of you enjoy taking the Lord's name in vain (..... damnit). Can we not have civil discussions without the use of curse words?

Can we stop using the words/ phrases Devil or Heathens of Hunt Valley or even Sincrap? Love em or hate em, their name is Sinclair!!

I've also noticed that some of you curse calling them @$$e$ and some of you enjoy taking the Lord's name in vain (..... damnit). Can we not have civil discussions without the use of curse words?

I don't see why you're defending those fools. I know what they are and you know what they are. I'm just calling it as it is. I'm not going to sugarcode it or tip-toe through the tulips. Folks are going to hate what has been said and that's fine. But like i stated, I meant every word that I said about them, and I make no apologies. They are what they are.

Anyway. there's alot of news about Sinclair today.

GetTV, the new classic movies network, announces that they will be carrying on 33 Sinclair stations over the course of the summer.

And Kevin Gage, who was the former chief technology officer at the National Association of Broadcasters, is already an EVP of Sinclair's new joint venture, ONE Media, which is the next-generation standard proponent under the joint venture of Sinclair and Eng's Coherent Logix.

I don't see why you're defending them. I know what they are and you know what they are. I'm just calling it as it is.

Ummm, I don't see anywhere in my post me defending them. No where in it did I agree or disagree with you or anyone else for that matter. I'm just asking that we refrain from cursing, using the Lord's name in vain, and calling corporations and people by their actual names rather than some made-up name only known to people who read this forum daily.

My request is general, not specific to this thread. I just posted it here because there is a lot of it going on here. If we can't have discussions in a mature and civilized manner, it's kind of sad.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/media-general-to-acquire-whtm-tv-of-harrisburg-pa-from-sinclair-broadcast-group-2014-06-23?reflink=MW_news_stmp

In other news....Sinclair has is SELLING WHTM to Media General...and selling the non-license assets of WTAT to Cunningham Communications....

Of course....this all depends on if the Allbritton deal goes through. This Cunningham sale seems a little fishy and could be the remaining road block that could hold up the deal.

Now if this becomes Cunningham's first stand alone station, could the other Cunningham stations break away as well? It's a good topic for the speculatron since it involves a station in Birmingham with WDBB that could step in to fill the void of WCFT.

Archived