Sinclair...Again

A3N

It just kind of occurred to me that the Syracuse, NY market will almost totally be SinFair if these sales are approved and finalized. Sinclair already owns WSYT Fox 68. They are selling the station to Cunningham, but plan to still operate the station after the sale. Sinclair is also buying all of the Barrington stations... this includes WSTM NBC 3 and WSTQ CW 6. Barrington currently operates WTVH CBS 5. Sinclair is attempting to buy the LMA and SSA of WTVH.

The only other station in the market is WSYR ABC 9... a Nexstar station as of late 2012. :smash: At least, however Newschannel 9 is the least Nexstar-y station in the country. They don't have the crappy website where you can rate stories according to feelings. They don't have the horrible website names like PAHomepage or YourFourState. They don't have a Stephen Arnold piece for their open. It's just not like Nexstar.

It's too early to see the Nexstar stamp on your any of their Newport acquisitions. Most of Sinclair's acquired properties from Four Points and Freedom aren't on Sinclair standardization yet.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's too early to see the Nexstar stamp on your any of their Newport acquisitions. Most of Sinclair's acquired properties from Four Points and Freedom aren't on Sinclair standardization yet.

Wrong, WTVC in Chattanooga is on the Sinclair standardization 2 months ago and upgraded to HD.

I said most. I know WTVC is one of the exceptions.

So far, the Grand Canyon State is Sinclair-free, and it looks like it's going to stay that way.

Same thing with the Queen City even so the rest of the Carolinas are a victim of having a Sinclair station (GSP and Asheville, Greensboro, Charleston, and Raliegh)

Pretty soon, that debt is going to catch up to them and it's not going to end pretty for these guys. I feel sorry for whoever is going to be stuck on this sinking ship.

If Sinclair keeps buying station groups like this, they'll end up in bankruptcy like Young Broadcasting. How many station groups will Sinclair buy before the FCC lays down the law and force them to break up??

If you want to see how Sinclair handles political stories, check out this town hall meeting that WSYX coordinated the other day at Ohio State University.

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/news/features/town-hall/

The only reason WSYX could even be considered a player in Columbus is because they are the "home station" for THE Ohio State Buckeyes.

In terms of news coverage, it's WBNS, and then everyone else.

If Sinclair keeps buying station groups like this, they'll end up in bankruptcy like Young Broadcasting. How many station groups will Sinclair buy before the FCC lays down the law and force them to break up??

The difference being, Sinclair is buying up small station groups - under dubious financing measures - on an unceasing basis.

Young's downfall was their criminally insane $800M purchase of one station - KRON. And NBC made them pay for that stupidity... KRON is now the ultimate white elephant.

Same thing with the Queen City even so the rest of the Carolinas are a victim of having a Sinclair station (GSP and Asheville, Greensboro, Charleston, and Raliegh)

It was a good thing that when the Lewis family which owned KTVK got out of media that they were choosy when finding a successor owner for the station, and ended up selling to Belo. They haven't been as successful as I hoped they would at keeping KTVK a competitor, but they still own mornings in Phoenix. Sinclair may have been one of the lookers for them back in '99, but were not in hyperaggressive mode in buying network affiliates (or, in the case of KTVK, an independent which was/is programmed like an affiliate).

The only way I see Sinclair entering Arizona would be through the acquisition of the Cordillera group which owns KVOA in Tucson, or if Raycom can't buy KMSB/KTTU outright from Belo.

Sinclair used to own KSMO before they sold it to Meredith in 2005.

I still can't figure out what they're thinking with this buying spree, especially since they have to take out loans to complete these purchases.

Anyone have any idea what Sinclair is thinking?

I think that Sinclair's founders were very unwise about making those controversial buys in Fisher Stations and creating a shopping spree that can create an investigation within the FCC and Department of Justice. DOJ should be blowing the whistle on Sinclair and Cunningham for this.

So far, the Grand Canyon State is Sinclair-free, and it looks like it's going to stay that way.

Great! I am happy to see both Tucson and Phoenix media markets can stay far far away from Sinclair Broadcasting Group!

by the way, whoever came up with the petitions to have the FCC investigate Sinclair Broadcasting Group(Cunnigham, Deerfield, Chesapeake TV Manhan Media, etc) and Nexstar Broadcasting Group and Mission Broadcasting, I physically want to say THANK YOU in a very intelligent way that no other person can describe in words that are very positive and uplifting and I did sign both of them.

Make sure those two petitions get through congress and the FCC. We can make it happen! :)

I think that Sinclair's founders were very unwise about making those controversial buys in Fisher Stations and creating a shopping spree that can create an investigation within the FCC and Department of Justice. DOJ should be blowing the whistle on Sinclair and Cunningham for this.

Here's to you and me hoping for that to happen.

Great! I am happy to see both Tucson and Phoenix media markets stay far far away from Sinclair Broadcasting Group!

It's definately helps that stations in both markets are owned by TV groups who are in good financial shape (Belo, Meredith, Gannett, Scripps, Raycom, Journal). Seems like Sinclair is going after the ones who are most desperate for cash.

Here's to you and me hoping for that to happen.

It's definately helps that stations in both markets are owned by TV groups who are in good financial shape (Belo, Meredith, Gannett, Scripps, Raycom, Journal). Seems like Sinclair is going after the ones who are most desperate for cash.

Here's to you and I to make it happen and its even worth it that (Belo, Meredith, Gannett, Scripps, Raycom and Journal) Heck, I would like to see Journal Broadcasting Group enter into Kansas City for a change.

About Sinclair, I dont even think about them entering the Kansas City Market anytime soon!

That's because Arizona has just three television markets: Phoenix, which is impossibly large for Sinclair to crack; Tucson, which is the right size (DMA 70 IIRC) but solid (KOLD/Raycom has a JSA/SSA with the Fox affiliate in this market, and the owners of KVOA and KGUN aren't going anywhere); and DMA 170 or so, Yuma-El Centro, which is fairly solid (though Pappas inexplicably has held on to KSWT through all their troubles).

Arizona. No Sinclair, no Nexstar, and just one JSA/SSA (which is fairly recent). That's the good life.

Here's to you and I to make it happen and its even worth it that (Belo, Meredith, Gannett, Scripps, Raycom and Journal) Heck, I would like to see Journal Broadcasting Group enter into Kansas City for a change.

About Sinclair, I dont even think about them entering the Kansas City Market anytime soon!

If they did buy WDAF (God forbid), they would actually have to invest in their station in order to stay competitive. Otherwise KMBC, KCTV, and even KSHB would smoke them.

Journal doesn't seem in a buying mood but based on how they run WTMJ, KTNV, and WFTX, they seem to be competent.

Only three words come to my mind regarding all this.

SINCLAIR MUST DIE!!!!!!

Explain how.

And I'm not even being flippant. What laws have they violated that merit an RKO General-type dismantlement? (Note, too, that it took 25 years for the legal troubles against RKO General to go though the courts until they finally "died.")

If anything, the loopholes in the duopoly legislation need to be tightened and eliminated that place significant restrictions on JSAs and SSAs. Then you'll see those flim-flam shell companies like Cunningham "magically" dry up.

As far as I don't like their management structure, there is one bright spot in the Sinclair company: they've been working to solve the DTV reception issue for years. But you say that's a moot point given that most people are subscribed to cable/satellite?

Sinclair is a company that was built by people with engineering/technical backgrounds and still run by them.

The only reason WSYX could even be considered a player in Columbus is because they are the "home station" for THE Ohio State Buckeyes.

In terms of news coverage, it's WBNS, and then everyone else.

Nope, That's WBNS who is the home station of OSU with how much they are up there behinds.

As far as I don't like their management structure' date=' there is one bright spot in the Sinclair company: [b']they've been working to solve the DTV reception issue for years[/b]. But you say that's a moot point given that most people are subscribed to cable/satellite?

Sinclair is a company that was built by people with engineering/technical backgrounds and still run by them.

I can actually agree with that. For example, although we use ATSC for digital broadcasts at the moment, there is currently a DVB-T2 trial in the US. The trial station? WNUV-TV Baltimore, a CW-affiliated station owned by Cunningham Broadcasting (one of the shell companies of Sinclair). They air DVB-T2 signals over the air during the overnight hours; so far, it's been pretty successful.

Nope, That's WBNS who is the home station of OSU with how much they are up there behinds.

But WSYX is the market's ABC affiliate, meaning that they carry the vast majority of the actual games via "ESPN on ABC" coverage. THAT'S what I was referring to as the "home station" - a technicality, as it were. But still, it's WSYX's lone drawing card.

Otherwise, the WBNS stations (especially tOSU radio flagships WBNS AM and FM) have long been the home for official team programming.

How come Media General was not in the buying block in all of these years since they bought out WCMH, WJAR, and WVTM from NBC?

I think buying these stations, along with the economic collapse of 2008 nearly killed them. The debt incurred in this deal alone forced the selloff of some of their smallest stations, and severe cutbacks throughout the entire company just so they could stay afloat without defaulting. Without Warren Buffett buying most of their newspapers and extending a loan, Media General would be in deep trouble right now...

Archived