Sinclair...Again

A3N

While WMAL's conservatalk format would be in line with S!nclair's well-known editorial beliefs, it's tough for me to envision ABC7 blowing up an affiliation with the infinitely stronger WTOP in favor of WMAL (who, for several years, farmed out their news department to Metro Networks/Total Traffic; they now use Cumulus' in-house news and traffic reporting service).

Keep in mind that WTOP is the top billing station in the nation. It's an absolute powerhouse.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep in mind that WTOP is the top billing station in the nation. It's an absolute powerhouse.

Kinda what I was getting at. To compare WTOP with WMAL is akin to comparing apples to lawn furniture.

Y'all, Sinclair will find a call sign for WJLA. All this speculation about using former call signs and switching call signs is just talk; really WJLA goes by "ABC 7" and that is what it is known by, so the viewing public could care less if it was WJLA, WAAA, WBBB, or WZZZ.

Y'all, Sinclair will find a call sign for WJLA. All this speculation about using former call signs and switching call signs is just talk; really WJLA goes by "ABC 7" and that is what it is known by, so the viewing public could care less if it was WJLA, WAAA, WBBB, or WZZZ.

Yeah. folk will talk about potential callsign changes regardless if the branding stays the same or not.

What I want to know, where's the proof that they have to change the station's callsign? That's what I want to know.

Yeah. folk will talk about potential callsign changes regardless if the branding stays the same or not.

What I want to know, where's the proof that they have to change the station's callsign? That's what I want to know.

LOL! I'm just ready for all this to be over and done with. Ready for my ABC News 4, WMMP News, WABM News, or whatever!!

B&C reporting that the FCC has approved Sinclair's purchase of the Allbittron stations...

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/fcc-approves-sinclairallbritton-deal/132692

Fuck. Now they finally got their lucrative prize. Shit! :angry: :bang: :mad:

It's shows that Wheeler don't care about the broadcasters and its alright to let them shut down TV stations to satisfy his so-called standards.

Although I haven't seen their formal approval paperwork (likely to be posted later or tomorrow), they could close it out tomorrow.

Like I said, they are absolutely no winners, and the real losers are the viewers.

A dark day in DC.

It's shows that Wheeler don't care about the broadcasters and its alright to let them shut down TV stations to satisfy his so-called standards.

Although I haven't seen their formal approval paperwork (likely to be posted later or tomorrow), they could close it out tomorrow.

Like I said, they are absolutely no winners, and the real losers are the viewers.

A dark day in DC.

Unless you're WRC, WUSA, or WTTG.

A dark day in DC.

Thoughts and prayers for WCIV, WCFT & WJSU.

Anniston has become another no station market after Hasting (and Brandon in Canada). RIP.

I don't know if Sinclair can easily make any more blockbuster moves. Almost any potential deal involves conflicts from here on, and shells aren't allowed.

That and growing the rate Sinclair has is unsustainable regardless of what industry you're in. They have to reach a limit at sometime or else they're going to be in deep financial trouble down the road regardless of how much revenue they bring in.

Unless you're WRC, WUSA, or WTTG.

Yeah, it's good for those clubs at NBC, Fox & the Deathstar. But this is really sad. WJLA was the house that ol' Joe built and kept it up for almost 40 years. Maybe Robert didn't have the same sentiments like his father but I'm glad they maintained it. Yes I'm not happy that he wanted to sell, but it would've been far better if WJLA would've been in the hands on true broadcasters that would continue with the loyal & integrities of DC's Channel 7.

Seeing that the Heathens Of Hunt Valley from 50 miles away acquired this storied station, I don't see anything good coming out of this. Nothing.

I hope folks get their resumes ready, and the veterans, including Maureen & Gordon have their retirement papers made, in case if they want to give them the hee-ho early.

That and growing the rate Sinclair has is unsustainable regardless of what industry you're in. They have to reach a limit at sometime or else they're going to be in deep financial trouble down the road regardless of how much revenue they bring in.

See and that's what I was saying last month. They're going to be like Clear Channel, and look how they are right now. They have to have a mountainous amount of debt right now.

Here's the full approval order from the FCC.

This saga went on for far too long. The memorandum is on the FCC website, including additional statements from Commissioners Ajit Pai and William Lake on the deal.

I learned a lot in the last year about the legal mechanisms of communications law. In hindsight, I probably should not have filed an informal objection, but I did anyway. Except for the lawyer representing Howard Stirk Holdings, I was treated well by all sides involved. When I asked for no snail mail, Clifford Harrington at Pillsbury (counsel for Sinclair) obliged.

The acquisition that is happening here is far from perfect, but it is far, far closer to acceptable than what SBG originally proposed. Central Pennsylvanians are assured the same quality of service and arguably get an upgrade with the sale to Media General. While I disagree with SBG's decision to turn in licenses in Charleston and Birmingham, the OTA impact on viewers in Charleston is negligible; my last remaining worry here was indeed the ability of eastern Alabama viewers to receive ABC over the air.

This paragraph is of note:

"Nonetheless, we do note that proceedings raising potential character allegations against Sinclair remain open, including our review of the operation of the LMA in the Charleston market, and should the evidence in any of those proceedings demonstrate that Sinclair does not possess the requisite qualifications to remain a licensee, we will take appropriate action."

Sinclair, I wish you all the best in running these stations.

EDIT: I also think the statement from my fellow petitioners at Free Press says a lot of what I would say myself about the deal.

Yeah, it's good for those clubs at NBC, Fox & the Deathstar. But this is really sad. WJLA was the house that ol' Joe built and kept it up for almost 40 years. Maybe Robert didn't have the same sentiments like his father but I'm glad they maintained it. Yes I'm not happy that he wanted to sell, but it would've been far better if WJLA would've been in the hands on true broadcasters that would continue with the loyal & integrities of DC's Channel 7.

Seeing that the Heathens Of Hunt Valley from 50 miles away acquired this storied station, I don't see anything good coming out of this. Nothing.

I hope folks get their resumes ready, and the veterans, including Maureen & Gordon have their retirement papers made, in case if they want to give them the hee-ho early.

Here's the full approval order from the FCC.

Who knows, Sinclair might actually put some effort into keep investing in WJLA, especially when their competitors have deep pockets.

In honesty, I'm more worried that Sinclair is going to worry too much on trying to make NC8 National and neglect WJLA in the process.

See and that's what I was saying last month. They're going to be like Clear Channel, and look how they are right now. They have to have a mountainous amount of debt right now.

They've tried before and they'll probably try it again. They're going to suck the local character out of these stations and make them all bland and generic versions of their former selves just like Clear Channel.

Only a matter of time before Sinclair launches iheartTV.

Yesterday we missed Sinclair arranging all the funding to make it happen. According to the Baltimore Sun report, Sinclair's subsidiary Sinclair Television Group closed a private offering of $550 million aggregate principal amount of senior unsecured notes due 2024. The notes will bear interest at 5.6 percent to be paid semi-annually.

On the sale, Robert Allbritton tweeted: "Very mixed emotions: FCC approved sale of our TV stations to Sinclair. Thanks to all at ACC for 40 wonderful years. I will miss you deeply."

It was pretty much inevitable at this point. Sinclair made the arrangements they needed to make, and agree or disagree, they satisfied the FCC's requirements.

Unfortunately, it comes at a cost to a few stations that will have their license returned. Overall it looks like there will be little to no change since the programming will be transferred to digital signals. The question, obviously, is how the situation in Alabama will be handled.

A dark day in DC.

I really hoped you wouldn't go there, but you did. Maybe it's time to pick up a history book and tone down the hyperbole a bit.

I really hoped you wouldn't go there, but you did. Maybe it's time to pick up a history book and tone down the hyperbole a bit.

"Lincoln angry! Lincoln smash!"

lincoln-2012-angry-face.jpg

A dark day in DC.

On what grounds could the FCC deny the deal? There hands were tied.

However, I agree that a chunk of the final outcome lays at the feet of Wheeler and the FCC due to their latest "decisions".

I don't know if Sinclair can easily make any more blockbuster moves. Almost any potential deal involves conflicts from here on, and shells aren't allowed.

Shells aren't banned (see: Charleston). They just need to be compliant with the new JSA rules. The new JSA rules made operating a station under a JSA much harder and therefore could be seen as a "ban" as it is much less favorable. But, they JSAs (and Shells) are still allowed as long as they are compliant with the new rules.

A dark day in DC.

Wheeler isn't a dictator, he's just implementing the laws that congress puts forth. So if it had no major legal roadblocks it couldn't just be approved or denied because they wanted to, it has to have a valid reason.

I understand why people compare Clear Channel and Sinclair (ie: quick growth & debt). But, they really aren't comparable in my eyes. Clear Channel could only cut staff/payroll expenses to pay down their debt. Sinclair can do that as well. However, they have a few other vehicles they can use to pay down debt. Sinclair has retransmission consent revenue....something Clear Channel doesn't have. Sinclair operates in an industry where their spectrum is highly sought after, providing a potential relief valve...something Clear Channel doesn't have.

This saga went on for far too long. The memorandum is on the FCC website, including additional statements from Commissioners Ajit Pai and William Lake on the deal.

I learned a lot in the last year about the legal mechanisms of communications law. In hindsight, I probably should not have filed an informal objection, but I did anyway. Except for the lawyer representing Howard Stirk Holdings, I was treated well by all sides involved. When I asked for no snail mail, Clifford Harrington at Pillsbury (counsel for Sinclair) obliged.

The acquisition that is happening here is far from perfect, but it is far, far closer to acceptable than what SBG originally proposed. Central Pennsylvanians are assured the same quality of service and arguably get an upgrade with the sale to Media General. While I disagree with SBG's decision to turn in licenses in Charleston and Birmingham, the OTA impact on viewers in Charleston is negligible; my last remaining worry here was indeed the ability of eastern Alabama viewers to receive ABC over the air.

This paragraph is of note:

"Nonetheless, we do note that proceedings raising potential character allegations against Sinclair remain open, including our review of the operation of the LMA in the Charleston market, and should the evidence in any of those proceedings demonstrate that Sinclair does not possess the requisite qualifications to remain a licensee, we will take appropriate action."

Sinclair, I wish you all the best in running these stations.

EDIT: I also think the statement from my fellow petitioners at Free Press says a lot of what I would say myself about the deal.

In the grand scheme of things is this really that different from what was originally proposed? This drug out for just shy of a year and the only major difference is the divesture in Harrisburg and two separate staffs in Charleston. In the end we lost 3 stations and now 100% of the revenue (minus pre-existing Cunningham arrangements) will go to directly to Sinclair in Birmingham and Charleston due to the multicasts being established. I'd hardly see that as a big "win" if the goal was to "stop" Sinclair.

Wheeler isn't a dictator, he's just implementing the laws that congress puts forth. So if it had no major legal roadblocks it couldn't just be approved or denied because they wanted to, it has to have a valid reason.

Sure, I agree on Wheeler & the FCC implementing the incentive auction...that was required by law enacted by congress. I'll also go on record saying I'm ok with the incentive auction and understand why it is being done. However, the JSA rules recently brought forth by the commission have serious "unintended" consequences as some of us pointed out in the JSA Thread. The commission decided to ram these though under the guise of fairness and diversity. In reality all it served to do was depress (or, slow down) rising station values and have the "unintended" consequence of licenses being surrendered. If there is a little "collateral damage" from the JSA rules along the way that might help you with other FCC business (ie: the incentive auction) so be it.

And, The fact that they refused to address JSAs as part of a review of the ownership rules speaks volumes. In my opinion one cannot argue that the ownership rules need significant review...there hasn't been any major changes in the rules in over a decade. The marketplace has changed significantly in the past decade but, the ownership rules haven't changed or evolved with the marketplace. And, the FCC is also required by law enacted by congress to review the ownership rules every four years. But, funny they never finished their 2010 quadrennial review. Instead they just decided since we couldn't get it done in four years will roll it into our 2014 review.

A dark day in DC.

The viewers couldn't care less about any behind-the-scenes shenanigans. As long as their favorite shows come on at their usual times, they'll be content and blissfully unaware.

Archived