Sinclair...Again

A3N

Honestly, I've seen something of a bigger-market bias here. People were very upset about Sinclair getting KOMO and KATU, but not Fisher's smaller stations. Gray doesn't operate in big markets...

Though Sinclair draws more outrage than Gray because Gray does not parade any delusions of grandeur around as well.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regard to KHAS the news operation is somehow intact which amazes me. Gray is running about four and a half local news operations (KNOP, "KHAS", KOLN/KGIN + KOLN/KGIN/KSNB-DT2 "10/11 Central Nebraska", and KNPL "10/11 North Platte") there. They have not tipped their hand at their future plans for all that local news, either.

They probably all cover different parts of the market. I'm sure there's video sharing you don't notice. If KOLN wants video of a story of Hastings they don't have to send their own photog anymore, they can just call up KHAS.

Honestly, I've seen something of a bigger-market bias here. People were very upset about Sinclair getting KOMO and KATU, but not Fisher's smaller stations. Gray doesn't operate in big markets...

Makes sense. Most here don't care about a station in Eugene, OR or North Platte, NE. But when you bring up Seattle or Birmingham, they're much bigger and draw more interest.

Simple, because Sinclair is the biggest and the haters will find anything they can to pick Sinclair with. Meanwhile Gray is not the biggest and they are not hated on the level of Sinclair so they get a pass. Even though Gray is doing the same exact thing as Sinclair intends on.

Any true outrage and hatred should be directed solely at Tom Wheeler. His criminally stupid legislation restricting JSAs is what led us to this whole mess in the first place.

I outright said this would happen. Doesn't matter if it's Gray, S!nclair or MG-LIN ... expect more of this behavior to take place, and we will all be the poorer for it.

Any true outrage and hatred should be directed solely at Tom Wheeler. His criminally stupid legislation restricting JSAs is what led us to this whole mess in the first place.

I outright said this would happen. Doesn't matter if it's Gray, S!nclair or MG-LIN ... expect more of this behavior to take place, and we will all be the poorer for it.

Tom Wheeler is breaking the law as he is coming up with his own rules and attempting to enforce them. But really the FCC should only enforce the law since they fall under the executive branch, who enforces the law, not make the laws. That's Congress' job.

God I hate this administration....

Though Sinclair draws more outrage than Gray because Gray does not parade any delusions of grandeur around as well.

You hit the nail on the head with that one.

But I agree, there is definitely a big market bias on this site.

For those of you wishing for WJSS or WDDS as WJLA's current callsign.....sadly, both are already taken.....as I discovered PAGES ago....

Posted by tyrannical bastard on 29 July 2013 - 11:30 PM in General TV

Well damn....WJSS is taken too...and it's based outside of Baltimore!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WJSS

...and WSBG is taken too! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSBG

So much for naming a station after the founder! (Julian Sinclair Smith).. and even WDDS (David D. Smith) http://licensing.fcc...&Call_Sign=wdds

Ironically, WTPA used to be the call letters WHTM had, but is now an unrelated radio station. I chose them for another reason (along with WGOP) ;)

After all, this discussion is only 97 PAGES LONG, with close to 2,500 responses, so I can understand this getting buried. Things have been going strong here ever since the Fisher sale was announced!

Everyone, just plug in your Sinclair-inspired callsigns here to see if they're in use or not:

http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/callsign/main.html

Out of all the potential callsigns bandied about so far, only WWSV is unused and available. As the good Mr. Bastard reiterated just above me, all the others are on AM, FM, or reserved by the Coast Guard.

The station in Lincoln, Nebraska was KHAS. Gray moved all the non-license assets of that station to KSNB.

Gray also did the same thing with two more station in North Dakota the same day. Moving the programming of KNDX & KXND to subchannels of Gray owned stations. KNDX -> KFYR(&KQCD) and KXND -> KMOT(&KUMV).

Gray has already announced they will also be doing this with three more stations over the next couple months in Fargo, Monroe & Grand Junction. KJXB -> KVLY, KAQY -> KNOE and KJCT -> KKCO.

Given the uproar here in this thread over Sinclair doing the same thing in Birmingham and Charleston. I'm surprised Gray didn't get more flack for doing this. They seemingly got a pass which I don't really understand.

On its face, looks like Gray's rationale in shutting those stations down was pretty solid for the most part.

1. KXAS was on digital and virtual channel 5 with a 600 foot tower. Only a die hard viewer or a geek (like me) is going to go through the trouble and expense to get the proper equipment to watch that OTA signal. Why bother keeping that transmitter on?

2. KNDX & KXND were on UHF, but they both only had 50 kw ERP and they are both Fox. Again, why bother?

3. KAQY & KNOE - Both VHF stations (8 and 11). Who cares?

4. KJCT & KKCO - Both VHFs operating with not too much more than flea power. Another who cares except for the fact that KJCT has more power and a much taller stick. But as we know the FCC maps don't always give the full story and KKCO may have better coverage to the more relevant area. Or maybe they move KKCO to the taller KJCT facility.

The last one I have more trouble understanding:

5. KXJB & KVLY - both UHF with 386 and 350 kw ERP on 2,000 foot towers. Those signals probably get out pretty far on that flat land. KJKB is directional, though. Since they are both UHF, I would think they would keep it going just to hold onto the spectrum or maybe even sell it. Or is the power bill too high? Or does spectrum not matter in Fargo?

Finally, I thought Gray had a pretty good reputation as a broadcaster. Maybe that's why they aren't getting much flak?

For those of you wishing for WJSS or WDDS as WJLA's current callsign.....sadly, both are already taken.....as I discovered PAGES ago....

WJSS is on a radio station in Maryland. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sinclairs once owned it with those call letters. If the radio station gives the okay, they can use the call letters.

Copying from the WJW ---> WJKW days; or WXYZ ---> WXYT, how about WJLJ-TV?

On its face, looks like Gray's rationale in shutting those stations down was pretty solid for the most part.

1. KXAS was on digital and virtual channel 5 with a 600 foot tower. Only a die hard viewer or a geek (like me) is going to go through the trouble and expense to get the proper equipment to watch that OTA signal. Why bother keeping that transmitter on?

2. KNDX & KXND were on UHF, but they both only had 50 kw ERP and they are both Fox. Again, why bother?

3. KAQY & KNOE - Both VHF stations (8 and 11). Who cares?

4. KJCT & KKCO - Both VHFs operating with not too much more than flea power. Another who cares except for the fact that KJCT has more power and a much taller stick. But as we know the FCC maps don't always give the full story and KKCO may have better coverage to the more relevant area. Or maybe they move KKCO to the taller KJCT facility.

The last one I have more trouble understanding:

5. KXJB & KVLY - both UHF with 386 and 350 kw ERP on 2,000 foot towers. Those signals probably get out pretty far on that flat land. KJKB is directional, though. Since they are both UHF, I would think they would keep it going just to hold onto the spectrum or maybe even sell it. Or is the power bill too high? Or does spectrum not matter in Fargo?

Finally, I thought Gray had a pretty good reputation as a broadcaster. Maybe that's why they aren't getting much flak?

WJSS is on a radio station in Maryland. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sinclairs once owned it with those call letters. If the radio station gives the okay, they can use the call letters.

Copying from the WJW ---> WJKW days; or WXYZ ---> WXYT, how about WJLJ-TV?

It is worth noting that KAQY, despite being an ABC affiliate, carries NO local news, and hasn't since the day it signed on. Heck, they don't even simulcast KNOE's newscasts despite being sister stations since 2008! But anyway, the viewers there won't even care if KAQY's programming gets moved to a KNOE subchannel.

The Sinclair/Allbritton deal however, involves two established stations WITH news departments getting their programming moved to other stations, and when you tool around with established brands, that can cause viewers to turn away.

Sinclair News for today via Newsblues.com 7.23.2014

The US Justice Department said Tuesday it has no antitrust issues with Sinclair's purchase of Allbritton's station group. The sale deadline is Monday.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/court-signs-sinclairallbritton-deal/132618

So it a done deal Sinclair continues their domination in the broadcast industry of buying the most station. -SIGH-

Everyone, just plug in your Sinclair-inspired callsigns here to see if they're in use or not:

Out of all the potential callsigns bandied about so far, only WWSV is unused and available. As the good Mr. Bastard reiterated just above me, all the others are on AM, FM, or reserved by the Coast Guard.

Getting a call sign reserved to a Coast Guard vessel is a mere formality. All you need to do is send a letter to the Coast Guard contact, asking to use the call sign for broadcast purposes. They will send you a letter back saying yes virtually every time.

There also exists as an option WJSV-TV. Washington-Julian-Smith-Virginia. True, the callsign is being used on the FM dial by a non-comm college station in New Jersey, but an arrangement between them and S!nclair is completely feasible.

A bit of irony and coincidences exist with that callsign. It was the callsign for WTOP Radio - the current WFED/1500 - following it's 1927 relocation from Brooklyn, New York** to Mount Vernon (CBS affiliated with, and then bought the station, hopscotching it to Washington in the process). Of course WJLA has an extensive news/weather partnership with WTOP-FM. Plus it can also stand for Jesus Saves Virginia, much like WJLA also stood for Jesus Loves America. ;)

** The reason WHY such a radical facility relocation even took place, as well as the real reason why CBS even bought the station in such haste (establishing an affiliation with the station that just entered it's 84th year) is actually A Very Dark Story.

After all, this discussion is only 97 PAGES LONG, with close to 2,500 responses, so I can understand this getting buried. Things have been going strong here ever since the Fisher sale was announced!

They could potentially still use WSBG, they would just have to be WSBG-TV.

I'm curious - some of ideas I came up for WJLA's call sign said they were not available but were only attributed to either one or two services.

One I tried looking up was WADC, where it could stand for WAshington, DC or We're ABC District of Columbia. The search said there was an AM service for Parkersburg, WV and a FM service. After doing a quick Google search it appears that WADC-FM is the only service operating using the calls and that WADC-AM is present day WARF. Could they in theory register WADC-TV if they got permission from WADC-FM? None of their signals would overlap considering the FM service is located along the Ohio River.

Another one could be WDMV-TV, for W District Maryland Virginia. The only problem is that there is a daytimer Spanish language radio station located in Frederick, MD. But since the station is Spanish only, I doubt there would be confusion over branding.

They could go back to WMAL as the station was known from 1947-1977. There is still a WMAL AM/FM that serves the DC radio market, but I suspect they could either try and talk the station owner out of those calls, or they could use WMAL-DT or WMAL-TV.

Question: Since the government shutdown late last year, doesn't that include suspending the transaction days for the Sinclair-Allbritton deal? If that's so, there is still more time.

It depends on if the functions of the FCC and that particular department were considered "essential." I work for the Federal government, and my job was considered "essential" as was about probably 90% of the agency, basically what being "essential" means, is you come to work, but don't get paid, unitl they "open" back up. The day to day functions continued. I am not sure if things were like that in the FCC or not. If day to day functions continued, I.E. the minions like myself contiunued to come in and do what they do, then I would think that it would "count" for those purposes.

They could go back to WMAL as the station was known from 1947-1977. There is still a WMAL AM/FM that serves the DC radio market, but I suspect they could either try and talk the station owner out of those calls, or they could use WMAL-DT or WMAL-TV.

Even if that were to happen, S!nclair would need consent of some sort by Cumulus, which owns WMAL AM/FM. And that's far from a guarantee. (Entercom asked Granite if WWKB/1520 Buffalo could have their original WKBW calls restored a decade ago, but Granite outright refused the request.) Plus, Cumulus is using the WMAL calls as their radio station's main brand. They won't give them up.

Yes, WOAI-TV, WSYR-TV, WKRC-TV and WHAM-TV are all seperated from their radio siblings, and have been since CC unloaded their TV group to Newport. But rarely, if ever, do you see unrelated TV and radio stations take up the same callsign in the same market.

Even if that were to happen, S!nclair would need consent of some sort by Cumulus, which owns WMAL AM/FM. And that's far from a guarantee. (Entercom asked Granite if WWKB/1520 Buffalo could have their original WKBW calls restored a decade ago, but Granite outright refused the request.) Plus, Cumulus is using the WMAL calls as their radio station's main brand. They won't give them up.

Yes, WOAI-TV, WSYR-TV, WKRC-TV and WHAM-TV are all seperated from their radio siblings, and have been since CC unloaded their TV group to Newport. But rarely, if ever, do you see unrelated TV and radio stations take up the same callsign in the same market.

Not to mention the close relationship that WJLA has with WMAL's rival WTOP.

Question: would WTAT/Cunningham maintain the news agreement with WCSC or would they switch to WCIV for news? Because if they went to WCIV then it may look like Sinclair still has a hand. But, if they want to want to definitely look independent from Sinclair then wouldn't they keep WCSC for the news?

I don't believe Sinclair/Cunningham has stated their intentions in that regard. My guess is that the news production agreement between WCSC & WTAT will continue in the short term or, until the contract runs out. But, I expect WTAT/Cunningham to eventually enter into a news production agreement with WMMP/Sinclair to produce a newscast for WTAT.

And, before someone asks. Yes, if they do enter into a news production agreement they would still be compliant with the new JSA rules.

[snip]

It really had nothing to do with the "quality" of each stations signal. It was that they couldn't acquire the stations and with the new JSA rules it was unlikely that the FCC would allow the licenses to be transferred/assigned to Excalibur. So, Gray just acquired the non-license assets and moved everything to stations that they already hold licenses for. The FCC really can't do anything to stop such a move.

I still have a belief that Gray only put these stations back on the market (sans programming) to prove a point. That being there really aren't as many buyers out there for TV stations.

I raised a similar point with the "UHF Discount". I don't understand being outraged over one parties actions and not (or, less) outraged over another parties actions when they are both doing the same thing. But, it's all in who's ox is being gored, I guess.

Question: Since the government shutdown late last year, doesn't that include suspending the transaction days for the Sinclair-Allbritton deal? If that's so, there is still more time.

Nah. That doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. If it was going on now or was significantly longer (like months) then maybe they could envoke some "force majeure" clause. But, given it was little more than two weeks it really didn't add any additional delays. And, as I've already pointed out given that the only thing left is FCC approval either party can extend the "outside date" an additional 60 days. So, it's a moot point.

And, before someone asks. Yes, if they do enter into a news production agreement they would still be compliant with the new JSA rules.

See: Yuma. With the NPG/Blackhawk combo, one news operation, two sales forces. It can be done.

Cumulus would probably sign off on it on the condition that channel 7 was to end their WTOP deal to hook up with WMAL. The Granite situation in Buffalo was just arrogance though Granite had that knack seeing how they maintained WTVH blocking anyone in Utica going to CBS or blowing $200 million on KOFY.

Entercom got the rights to use the WROC calls on radio after they entered a news/weather deal with them when channel 8 was still in third place. Not common but doable.

Cumulus would probably sign off on it on the condition that channel 7 was to end their WTOP deal to hook up with WMAL. The Granite situation in Buffalo was just arrogance though Granite had that knack seeing how they maintained WTVH blocking anyone in Utica going to CBS or blowing $200 million on KOFY.

Entercom got the rights to use the WROC calls on radio after they entered a news/weather deal with them when channel 8 was still in third place. Not common but doable.

While WMAL's conservatalk format would be in line with S!nclair's well-known editorial beliefs, it's tough for me to envision ABC7 blowing up an affiliation with the infinitely stronger WTOP in favor of WMAL (who, for several years, farmed out their news department to Metro Networks/Total Traffic; they now use Cumulus' in-house news and traffic reporting service).

Archived