WSFA's to unveil new set and new Raycom graphics package at the end of April

COSMOS2013

The 10:00 p.m. newscast on Monday, April 1, will be the last broadcast from our current set, installed when WSFA 12 News became the first television station in Montgomery to transition to high definition in 2008.

Over the next several weeks, our staff will anchor each newscast from a temporary set in our secondary studio across the hall here at our facility at 12 East Delano Avenue in West Montgomery.

The transition will last approximately three weeks as construction and lighting on the updated studio are finalized and tested.

The new set will be state-of-the-art and will enhance how we present the news to our viewers each day. The current plan calls for unveiling of the new space at the end of April.

We'll also soon rollout new on-air graphics to modernize the look and feel of our newscasts.

As part of the transition, WSFA 12 News is also repositioning our mission statement to a slogan you may recall. In the coming days you will see a return to our familiar "Alabama's News Source" roots as our ability to cover most areas of Alabama has greatly expanded over the years.

We will, however, always remain firm in the values of our current slogan "Coverage, Community, Commitment".

We're very excited about the upcoming changes and we are certain you will enjoy the new viewing experience as well! Stay tuned!

Copyright 2013 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.

New Raycom graphics typically find their way to KOLD first (because Raycom Design Group is based out of Tucson).

That said, WBTV needs a new logo, too. Much has been made of their current one... >.>

New Raycom graphics typically find their way to KOLD first (because Raycom Design Group is based out of Tucson).

That said, WBTV needs a new logo, too. Much has been made of their current one... >.>

Someone also needs to redesign WOIO's "19 Action News" logo, too. It's always been too blocky and horizontal for my tastes. Of late, WOIO has made significant strides in improving their newscasts and reporting over the past year (in addition to getting longtime anchor Romona Robinson and ESPN's George Smith) and it's paid off in the ratings, so it's a minor quibble on my part.

I really liked how WOIO and WBRC managed to radically deconstruct the current Raycom L3s to give them unique looks. Hopefully this new scheme will give them the same kind of leeway.

Someone also needs to redesign WOIO's "19 Action News" logo, too. It's always been too blocky and horizontal for my tastes. Of late, WOIO has made significant strides in improving their newscasts and reporting over the past year (in addition to getting longtime anchor Romona Robinson and ESPN's George Smith) and it's paid off in the ratings, so it's a minor quibble on my part.

I really liked how WOIO and WBRC managed to radically deconstruct the current Raycom L3s to give them unique looks. Hopefully this new scheme will give them the same kind of leeway.

Funny you mentioned that, 'cause it seems odd to me that WOIO uses separate on-air logos (one for its newscasts and one for non-news purposes) that do not match at all. The non-news logo features the "19" is an italicized serif font (not sure which font it is that's used in the logo) and the Action News logo has the "19" rendered in a italicized Helvetica Extended bold font, which matches only the rest of that logo -- but not the logo used outside of newscasts.

Funny you mentioned that' date=' 'cause it seems odd to me that WOIO uses separate on-air logos (one for its newscasts and one for non-news purposes) that do not match at all. The non-news logo features the "19" is an italicized serif font (not sure which font it is that's used in the logo) and the [i']Action News[/i] logo has the "19" rendered in a italicized Helvetica Extended bold font, which matches only the rest of that logo -- but not the logo used outside of newscasts.

That's been the case since 2002, when WOIO/WUAB flipped their newscasts to the Bill Applegate-helmed "Action News."

The only way I can explain it is because the newscasts on both stations share the "19 Action News" brand (WUAB called it "43 Action News" briefly in late 2002), but the stations themselves maintain separate branding. WUAB has been billed as "my43 The Block" since 2010 (they also used that brand and logo from 2002 until 2004).

• 3 weeks later...

WSFA's new set debuted today, and it is very underwhelming. They kept the old weather center intact, but the main anchor area is just your typical standardized set design from FX Group much of the Raycom stations have been receiving in their transition to HD news. Only difference is that the rebuilt area has duratran walls and a large TV in the middle.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151576743714456&set=pb.8668729455.-2207520000.1366929502.&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151576652839456&set=pb.8668729455.-2207520000.1366929502.&type=3

No new graphics today as of this posting.

WSFA's new set debuted today, and it is very underwhelming. They kept the old weather center intact, but the main anchor area is just your typical standardized set design from FX Group much of the Raycom stations have been receiving in their transition to HD news. Only difference is that the rebuilt area has duratran walls and a large TV in the middle.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151576743714456&set=pb.8668729455.-2207520000.1366929502.&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151576652839456&set=pb.8668729455.-2207520000.1366929502.&type=3

No new graphics today as of this posting.

I don't think that they were planning on new graphics right away since the press release mentioned that they were rolling out "soon". My guess is that they're in the process of switching over to the new Raycom package that WAVE debuted a few days back.

There's a 19 in the background of the 43 Action News promo.

I moved to Ohio in 2003 and since I arrived, WOIO has changed very little, if at all, graphics-wise. In that same amount of time, WEWS has changed its graphics 3 times, first from the old ugly 5 to the Circle 5, then to the Musikvergnuegen package used by all Scripps stations, and now to Inergy.

I don't think that they were planning on new graphics right away since the press release mentioned that they were rolling out "soon". My guess is that they're in the process of switching over to the new Raycom package that WAVE debuted a few days back.

It's going to be a process with WSFA. My cousin is the newscast director for the evening newscasts and they aren't going to premiere for awhile...

It's going to be a process with WSFA. My cousin is the newscast director for the evening newscasts and they aren't going to premiere for awhile...

Will it be the same package that WAVE got a few weeks ago?

Archived