Sue Serio

cool245

Does anyone know why Fox 29 doesn't refer to Sue Serio as a meteorologist? I thought she only had a journalism degree, but according to the Fox website she has a broadcast meteorologist certificate from Mississippi state. I know she doesn't have a regular meteorologist degree, but according to WCAU's website Michelle Grossman only has a Mississippi state certificate and Bill Henley only has a minor in meteorology and they are both referred to as meteorologists. With the way weather is in Philly you'd think Fox would want their whole weather staff called meteorologists.

As long as you're degreed/certified by an accredited school and practice the craft then you're a meteorologist. Even if you have a broader degree like in say Earth Science. you are still considered a meteorologist since that is a specialty of Earth science.

Carrying seals from the AMS and/or NWA is tantamount to being a board certified physician in medicine. Not having those seals doesn't make you less of a meteorologist just like being board certified doesn't make you less of a doctor, HOWEVAH would you rather you get medical advice from a board certified physician or Dr. Nick from the Simpsons? Same logic applies to meteorology seals.

That being said though I have heard they've started handing out seals like it's candy these days so the prestige of carrying one may not be as big as it once was.

Archived