Update: Tribune to acquire Local TV for 2.75 billion

Jterry

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Free Press has now filed an Application for Review asking the FCC to overturn its approval of the Tribune/Local TV deal. They also did the same thing with the Gannett/Belo deal. This probably won't go anywhere, since the deal has been completed.

They're wasting both time, money, and energy with this. Free Press is better off using that to fight Sinclair and the internet companies tooth and nail instead, but those are two different subjects altogether.

I don't know how long ThisTV has in Cleveland with Winston Broadcasting's WBNX 55.3, but I can't imagine Tribune just pulling the affiliation out from under them.

I don't see any immediate suggestion that WBNX is for sale.

But also remember that the person behind Winston Broadcasting is the nonagenarian Rev. Ernest Angley. He may not have much longer to live... but would his ministry keep the station should he pass away? Or unload it?

And if that all does transpire, expect the "will S!nclair buy WBNX?" question. Unlike LocalTV, who was closely tied to the Tribune stations, thereby giving Tribune the inside track, that didn't and doesn't exist for WBNX.

I had also posed this question before in the "Speculatron" thread. Stations like WBNX are a rarity these days, and WBNX could be the largest station of its kind ever since Eychaner sold WPWR in Chicago to Fox back in the 2000s.

Should the ministry ever sell WBNX, Tribune's hands may be tied especially if they're maxed out on stations and the FCC decides to freeze limits, and Gannett and Scripps could be more eager to buy them because it would give either company a channel to expand their newscasts to, since WJW is pretty maxed out news-wise...

Even if WBNX were sold off to another religious broadcaster or speculator, the prospect of having a CW-affiliated station in the 18th largest market would too valuable to pass up. There's plenty of full powered stations in the market and could easily move their tower to Parma with the others. One's a religious broadcast station that's been flipped several times over the past decade.

Interestingly enough....WBNX (along with their facility) and WJW (before Tribune) have several things in common....

- WJW was the station that carried Rex Humbard's ministry programs, regarded as one of the first televangelism programs ever created. Over the years, the facility that these originated from (including a planned TV station) were sold to Ernest Angley's ministry, which signed on the TV station that Humbard abandoned.

- WBNX picked up the Fox Kids programming when the FOX affiliation went from WOIO to WJW. This was a watershed moment in WBNX's history as this began their evolution from being a sleepy independent station licensed to Akron to becoming a full-fledged Cleveland station and later successful WB and then CW affiliate station.

- WBNX aired a rebroadcast of WJW's 10pm newscast at 11pm weeknights from 1995 to 1996.

Unless someone hands WBNX a wad of cash, I don't see anything major happening unless Rev. Angley dies, and his estate wants to sell....

Archived