Update: Tribune to acquire Local TV for 2.75 billion

Jterry

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm...this can be good and bad...Local TV was always good to WREG. I wouldn't mind seeing Media General or Gannett. At the same time, Sinclair. Need I say more?

WREG at least is a station that could attract some reasonable buyers, but I'd be foolish to think that Sinclair would be off the table (if not the favorite) the way they've been going this year. Would be hilarious if the Memphis avoided them with WPTY only to get stuck with them on the #1 station no less.

Stupid question here....how long will it take before a sale is made? Weeks? Months? What are we talking here? I'm not really sure, thanks.

Most likely some amount of months. Will depend on a lot of things though, most notably just who and how soon somebody expresses the interest in buying. This wouldn't happen in this case but Fox had WHBQ up for sale nearly a year I think before they finally gave up and took it off the market because nobody wanted it (actually it was Local TV originally but they obviously couldn't get it).

There's always the O&O possibility for WREG...that would be nice...

I can't imagine CBS has any interest in a barely top-50 market station, even given how strong WREG often is for them.

I'm going with FOX31 in Denver being bought out by either FOX OR Belo

I am going to say probably say NO to FOX buying them and NO to Belo for the time. And this goes with the other FOX stations that were sold off to Local. There are groups that are interested, but right now, we don't know which major players will be coming out to make an attempt to buy out the groups.

KFOR, KDVR, WTVR, WGHP, WHNT - I would see these stations owned by Belo. I would see WGHP drop the FOX network and return to ABC, and FOX goes back to WXLV 45.

WDAF, WITI, KSTU, WJW - Back to FOX Television Stations, Inc (News Corp.)

Here's hoping some of the former NYT stations in that group (WREG, WHNT, WTKR, WHO, KFOR, WNEP, WQAD, and KFSM) get some respectable owners whose names are not Sinclair or Nexstar. While I have no qualms against either one, they own too many damn stations as it is.

Tribune could be a dark horse in this sale if they opt to buy some of the LocalTV properties outright, but I would like to see companies like Lin Media or Hearst make a move to purchase some of them as well.

And for those of you who are saying Fox should buy back the former O&Os they sold, there is absolutely no chance of that happening anytime soon, so just stop it.

Stupid question- let's just say a group like Sinclair were to buy the stations. Some of the stations like WITI and KDVR just recently got new sets and graphics. Would Sinclair make them tear down and start over to match the rest of the group?

KFOR, KDVR, WTVR, WGHP, WHNT - I would see these stations owned by Belo. I would see WGHP drop the FOX network and return to ABC, and FOX goes back to WXLV 45.

WDAF, WITI, KSTU, WJW - Back to FOX Television Stations, Inc (News Corp.)

How long is WGHP's contract with FOX and WXLV's contract with ABC?

Stupid question- let's just say a group like Sinclair were to buy the stations. Some of the stations like WITI and KDVR just recently got new sets and graphics. Would Sinclair make them tear down and start over to match the rest of the group?

Short answer: No

You have to remember that some of the stations Sinclair acquired from Four Points, Freedom, and Newport were already doing HD news with sets that were designed for such a purpose (either by FX, Devlin, or another company). The only reason they would go in and do such a set rebuild is if the station was not doing HD news at the point of its acquisition (look at WTVC in Chattanooga as a recent example).

Oh SH*T!!! Will Tribune buy KDVR? I'm not quite sure I like where this is heading.

Here's hoping some of the former NYT stations in that group (WREG, WHNT, WTKR, WHO, KFOR, WNEP, WQAD, and KFSM) get some respectable owners whose names are not Sinclair or Nexstar. While I have no qualms against either one, they own too many damn stations as it is.

Tribune could be a dark horse in this sale if they opt to buy some of the LocalTV properties outright, but I would like to see companies like Lin Media or Hearst make a move to purchase some of them as well.

And for those of you who are saying Fox should buy back the former O&Os they sold, there is absolutely no chance of that happening anytime soon, so just stop it.

Tribune is trying to sell all of their newspapers. They're in no position to buy anything.

Tribune is trying to sell all of their newspapers. They're in no position to buy anything.

Not in a position to buy newspapers. They never gave any indication that they were looking to divest their tv portfolio. If anything, Tribune might be in a prime position to acquire tv stations. KDVR might be on that list, since it makes economical sense in terms of building consolidation/shared resources with KWGN.

Not in a position to buy newspapers. They never gave any indication that they were looking to divest their tv portfolio. If anything, Tribune might be in a prime position to acquire tv stations. KDVR might be on that list, since it makes economical sense in terms of building consolidation/shared resources with KWGN.

I have a feeling that their attempt to sell their papers is more than a little related to their emergence from bankruptcy. I bet that once they find a buyer for the papers, they'll start selling some television stations. Buying KDVR would make sense though, as it would give KWGN needed resources.

Archived