Preview of New Graphics for CBS 2?

bc485

This new graphic, teasing an upcoming story, appeared during the 5:00 p.m. newscast tonight. Could this be a preview of a new look?

The current standardized CBS local station graphics have been around since April 2010 (http://newsbyte2.blogspot.com/2010/04/cbs-2-news-debuts-news-graphics.html) and could stand to be upgraded, although I don't think that this would be much of an upgrade. I also strongly dislike the idea of a graphic popping up during the newscast teasing a story coming up... It is way too distracting.

What does everyone else think? Do you think there is a new look coming soon?

[ATTACH]1167.IPB[/ATTACH]

image.thumb.jpg.adc226fbc2725d2eaa99ae1e5bba5202.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. This matches nothing and looks beyond generic. They didn't even stick random and plain CBS eyes in this like they did with everything in the current look. And the right side just cuts off right before the bug.

It doesn't look like it was thought out. There's no design to it.

Their 2007-2010 look before they standardized everything was great. Not sure why they had to dump that. I hope this isn't a sign of a further degrading.

I hope not. I mentioned this in the Chicago Forum, in the Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson sign-off thread, but I really like the L3s used in the tribute video. I was hoping CBS would update the graphics to those. See below:

I hope not. I mentioned this in the Chicago Forum, in the Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson sign-off thread, but I really like the L3s used in the tribute video. I was hoping CBS would update the graphics to those. See below:

That's interesting because those L3s certainly do not look thrown together. Not to look into things too much, but the blue CBS part somewhat matches the KYW promo that Hulkie posted a few days ago, the typefaces are that of the CBS corporate identity, and the black angled shape matches the CBS This Morning L3s.

I don't mean to be another speculative internet hack (which I am), but it is strange that they would use different L3s for that signoff video, and L3s that match some things we've seen lately.

Wow. This matches nothing and looks beyond generic. They didn't even stick random and plain CBS eyes in this like they did with everything in the current look. And the right side just cuts off right before the bug.

It doesn't look like it was thought out. There's no design to it.

Their 2007-2010 look before they standardized everything was great. Not sure why they had to dump that. I hope this isn't a sign of a further degrading.

Would the L3 look more complete if the logo/bug were in a box instead of how it's set up now? It doesn't look bad per se, but the color scheme is too WNBC-ish.

That's interesting because those L3s certainly do not look thrown together. Not to look into things too much, but the blue CBS part somewhat matches the KYW promo that Hulkie posted a few days ago, the typefaces are that of the CBS corporate identity, and the black angled shape matches the CBS This Morning L3s.

I don't mean to be another speculative internet hack (which I am), but it is strange that they would use different L3s for that signoff video, and L3s that match some things we've seen lately.

It matches certain elements I've seen show up on KYW lately. They run a little graphic on the end credits of the last CBS show to hype up the 11. It uses the same blue/grey colors as those lowers. If that's part of any prispective new look, color me intrigued.

If anything, any update to WCBS's and other O&Os' news graphics should start w/ a shift from Arial. A variant of Gotham would work...the lighter weights (as seen in the Bill/Walter video that NYNews brought up, excellent find!), for example, would suffice to set WCBS, et al.'s use of the font apart from that of WNBC and its network sisters.

Why would they be? CBS was saying goodbye to two legends of tv journalism, probably for good this time.

I was personally hoping that CBS would revise the current open by fixing the glass eye and base the rest of a new package on what WBZ was using before they switched to the current o&o package.

I hope this L3 is not the finished product, because it needs work. Besides being carelessly placed (there's almost no space between it and the CBS 2 logo), the upper line isn't wide enough vertically and the font in the lower line is too thin.

KCNC has, in the last several months, been using full screen graphics that look a little nicer than the overall O&O graphics, and, unlike them, match the network's look by using Proxima Nova instead of Arial. Has anyone else been seeing those on their CBS O&Os?

KCNC has' date=' in the last several months, been using full screen graphics that look a little nicer than the overall O&O graphics, and, unlike them, match the network's look by using Proxima Nova instead of Arial. Has anyone else been seeing those on their CBS O&Os?

Clearly, I need to watch KCNC news more often.

KCNC has' date=' in the last several months, been using full screen graphics that look a little nicer than the overall O&O graphics, and, unlike them, match the network's look by using Proxima Nova instead of Arial. Has anyone else been seeing those on their CBS O&Os?

Kudos to KCNC for going that route...and to you, channel2, for that font tip. Proxima Nova on the Eye O&O ties into network, and is also a major step up from Arial. Perfect.

[i wonder 1) if THAT's the look that'll be rolled out, and 2) which station(s) will be next on board w/ it.]

^^^

I haven't seen Proxima Nova on KCNC, but I have seen the updated blue eye backdrop. I think every affiliate was ordered to start using it (as opposed to the darker one, see my avatar) because KPIX started using it around the same time.

One thing I've also noticed on KCNC this week is that they have new talent idents. What's unusual about them is that they use the tagline "Colorado's News Channel"— a tagline they haven't used in at least eight years.

Archived