NY1 planning rebrand

T.L. Hughes

The brand will audibly still be NY1 as per this Multichannel article. But to me, that's not good enough.

TWCN_NY1_logo_480.jpg

If its NY1 audibly, then it should be NY1 visually, by itself and by itself ONLY!! And not attaching this unnecessary TWC News logo next to it. It doesn't look right at all. And I don't even like the new NY1 logo with that same font used for the TWC News logo. It doesn't even look right at all.

Meddling with the heritage TWC, which there real plan was to alter the NY1 brand entirely. Not Good. Not Good at all.

Compared to the initial plan to dump the NY1 brand altogether, this was a nice compromise. Besides, NY1 desperately needed a graphics overhaul.

If anyone has seen the graphics for Time Warner Cable Sportsnet out in Los Angeles, it looks like it's based off of those and used the same people to make these.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Compared to the initial plan to dump the NY1 brand altogether, this was a nice compromise. Besides, NY1 desperately needed a graphics overhaul.

If anyone has seen the graphics for Time Warner Cable Sportsnet out in Los Angeles, it looks like it's based off of those and used the same people to make these.

Yucky!! I've seen those graphics. No wonder why these proposed graphics looks awfully like those. Nice way to unify their on-air look. (sarcasm)

I wouldn't compromise on stuff like this and many folks would still be pissed as a result. NY1 is NY1, not visually TWC News/NY1. And I hate how they're toying with historical overtones like that. Folks would get outraged. I wonder if the station would get customized mic flags, or they're getting the same identical flags similar to the rest of the YNN nets as well?

Really makes no sense to rebrand ... Especially to the name of a company that is almost universally hated by its customers. This is the result of executives sitting in a room and taking it personally that nobody knows that TWC owns NY1 and not realizing that NY1 is successful because New Yorkers feel ownership over it as their local news channel.

It's supposed to be an eye and an ear; it was the initial symbol used by TimeWarner after the merger in 1990, but they abandoned it around 1993; yet despite being legally separate from TimeWarner itself (they spun it off in 2009) they license the name and continue to use the eye/ear.

It's annoying to hear them mention the whole "Only on Time Warner Cable" crap in their commercials, especially since I watch NY1 on Cablevision, but to have them rename it to this TWC News NY1 shit is nonsense. It's totally unnecessary and it's going to hurt NY1 AND TWC.

The only thing that's good about this is that NY1 will FINALLY get new graphics, new mics and maybe even a revamped studio cause it needs it badly so I'm happy about that but not in this way. SMH

• 3 weeks later...

Work has begun on a new set for NY1. They started broadcasting in temporary studio today.

Road to (Inside) City Hall and Sports on 1: The Last Word have temporary moved to The New York Times Close Up set on Monday.

I recorded a Sunday and a Tuesday edition of NY1 News at 11 on my camera since I don't have a tuner card. I will upload them to YouTube soon; it will my first time uploading video in three or four years ever since they shut down my first account.

It's a great makeover. Graphics, microphone, studio but the name is just stupid. But it seems like everyone still only calls the station "NY1". I hope they get rid of the TWC News name in the future.

For NY1 (or Time Warner Cable News NY1) :ack: :

The theme is an updated and a softer version of Peter Scott Fish theme, all themes are updated except for the community calendar, New York Tonight (the open's the same), (Road to) Inside City Hall, and Weather on the 1's. (the weather open has changed).

Here's a look of the main news desk, the new mic flags (they're 3 sided [TWCN & NY1 Noticias logo on the other sides], and the noticias set.

Here's the switchover at 5am yesterday and NY1 All Morning open:

For NY1 (or Time Warner Cable News NY1) :ack: :

The theme is an updated and a softer version of Peter Scott Fish theme, all themes are updated except for the community calendar, New York Tonight (the open's the same), (Road to) Inside City Hall, and Weather on the 1's. (the weather open has changed).

Here's a look of the main news desk, the new mic flags (they're 3 sided [TWCN & NY1 Noticias logo on the other sides], and the noticias set.

Here's the switchover at 5am yesterday and NY1 All Morning open:

From my observation its not a Good or Bad Rebrand. The only thing that bugs me is that Piece of Crap new logo that TWC added to the NY1 logo. Plus the NY1 logo should have been kept original. The logo has been there since 1992. Its like changing CNNs logo with adding the Turner logo with it by calling it Turner CNN or Turner CNN International. I mean yes NY1 nedded a Rebrand, but I kinda liked the old graphics package little more eventhough it was in use for over a decade. I was glad they kept Peter Fish NY1 theme, I litterly grew up with that tune, however they made more softer. I prefered the Jazzed One more

From my observation its not a Good or Bad Rebrand. The only thing that bugs me is that Piece of Crap new logo that TWC added to the NY1 logo. Plus the NY1 logo should have been kept original. The logo has been there since 1992. Its like changing CNNs logo with adding the Turner logo with it by calling it Turner CNN or Turner CNN International. I mean yes NY1 nedded a Rebrand, but I kinda liked the old graphics package little more eventhough it was in use for over a decade. I was glad they kept Peter Fish NY1 theme, I litterly grew up with that tune, however they made more softer. I prefered the Jazzed One more

I want take a Trip down memory lane

NY1 in its early days

The Graphics are from the Launch in 1992

The Report is from 1996

NY1 used Micheal Whalen Theme until 97 or 98

Here's the thing I seen other regional news channels like CP24 in Toronto and they are like on cable and satilite.NY1 should follow suit as well

Well they won't. The reason NY1 and other similar regional news channels exist is because they are an incentive to get people to subscribe to cable. If you don't have Time Warner then you can't get NY1 (I understand they're also on cablevision but I'm trying to get the point across; all other RNCs are exclusive to the originating provider).

Archived