CBS 3 rebranding?

Jess

Lately, I've noticed that CBS 3 has been using an updated logo in promotions and some graphics. The damn "HD" appendage is gone, and the logo is placed in a box. It's the same treatment WBBM has, and it matches the logos on the updated set.

CBS3NewLogo-1.jpg

Moreover, I'm seeing Gotham in a lot of their promos lately:

CBS3NewLogo-2.jpg

So they're clearly going to change something - are they just modifying the graphics for the new logo? Or, considering KPIX's comment that "everything is changing", are we looking at a refresh of the entire O&O look?

CBS3NewLogo-2.jpg

Just from this picture I can possibly see one thing, that they are rebranded to CBS 3 News and use the slogan On Your Side... Which is what my CBS O&O is using in Denver.

As for the gfx this promo is using, I've never really seen promo packages created and then expanded into standard n/c graphics. I assume that unlike most of the NBC O&Os, CBS O&Os don't have much room to varry the mandated packs. I also assume that the graphics hub is in NY. This being true, if these promos were intended to be the new group mandate package, I would think the graphics (at least for promos) would have been distributed to all stations. I have yet to see similar promos at any other O&O. But that's just my viewership. Let's see if similar graphics start popping up in other markets. :)

WCBS has been using their boxed HD-less logo in their studio since it debuted October 2011 (and also in the newsroom) but have not used it otherwise, as far as I've seen.

I've never been a fan of this O&O look. It's just boring and a lot of it seems sloppy, like the part where the boxes in the lower-thirds don't properly line up. Or how nearly all of the full screens and animations use the same blue CBS eye background.

It's time to get a new look and to drop the HD from the logos. They might as well be advertising that they're in color at this point.

I hope and pray they don't drop the Eyewitness News name.

500px-Cbs3_blue-on-white_2013.jpg

I have to agree. I hope they don't drop the EWN name.

They should've started branding their newscasts as CBS 3 News years ago. The use of the Eyewitness News name is a pathetic remnant of the KYW 3 era at this point.

WCBS has been using their boxed HD-less logo in their studio since it debuted October 2011 (and also in the newsroom) but have not used it otherwise, as far as I've seen.

I've never been a fan of this O&O look. It's just boring and a lot of it seems sloppy, like the part where the boxes in the lower-thirds don't properly line up. Or how nearly all of the full screens and animations use the same blue CBS eye background.

It's time to get a new look and to drop the HD from the logos. They might as well be advertising that they're in color at this point.

I agree. When it first rolled out and all the O&Os were standardized, I thought it was a smart simplification of the WCBS graphics because almost every O&O's identity could match blue, silver, and black. But I always felt like it looked like a temporary package that was put in place for a more comprehensive identity overhaul to be done later. I never expected this package to last more than 18 months, let alone three years.

I also always hoped that by having the local affiliates standardized under one style that it would finally provide CBS the impetus to have a single unified identity across all the network shows and affiliates, but that's far from the case. Aside from each show having some tertiary shared elements (and Evening News, Morning News, and UTTM sharing the same look), there's not a lot of visual continuity. I'd love to see CBS match up their visual identity to the level of their improved content recently, but I won't hold my breath.

Archived