WGN Morning News @ 9am This Fall.

CircleSeven

As WGN ends its decade run of airing Live! at 9am, Feder is hearing from insiders (and it wouldn't be a surprise for me) that channel 9 could extend its morning newscasts into the 9am hour, which gives it a grand total of ten hours of news every weekday. At this time, no official word from channel 9 on what they will do with the 9am hour.

But the big question is what time Live! with Kelly and Michael will air on channel 7? And what they will do with Windy City Live, which continues to be on top at 9am.

Since Idler is shoving 190 North in just 18 days, I'm thinking we should give some sort of eulogies to Chicago's #1 9am show.

I've accidentally tuned into WGN at 9 am a few times expecting to see news. I wouldn't mind actually having it be there.

That's why I don't bother watching WGN. I'm either asleep or heading to work most mornings, so I don't watch much news. Nevertheless, as bad as WFLD is overall, they're able to put together a decent newscast and stay on top of breaking news.

• 2 months later...

I've accidentally tuned into WGN at 9 am a few times expecting to see news. I wouldn't mind actually having it be there.

And you're about to get your wish!

It's been confirmed on its twitter feed that they will go on until 10am this fall. This was posted last week.

• 2 months later...

To coincide with show's expansion, Dan Ponce will become Erin McElroy's co-anchor between 4 and 6 a.m. Frank Holland will pretty much fill Ponce's void as weeknight reporter/fill-in anchor. A few other personnel changes are in the works, as well.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wgn-announces-morning-show-expansion-and-changes-to-on-air-lineup_b101544

To coincide with show's expansion, Dan Ponce will become Erin McElroy's co-anchor between 4 and 6 a.m. Frank Holland will pretty much fill Ponce's void as weeknight reporter/fill-in anchor. A few other personnel changes are in the works, as well.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wgn-announces-morning-show-expansion-and-changes-to-on-air-lineup_b101544

Good for Dan for moving on up. I'm hoping for the best for Channel 9, because they really need a boost. WGN needs to promote its 9am & 11am news shows like a hawk. They need to show that they're the real local show at 9am, since WLS is 'doing what the corporate master tell them to do'. But I think Channel 9 will be fine. They'll easily clobber Fox 32.

Does WGN still not have weather in the 11 AM hour until the tail end of it, or has that changed lately? If that's still an issue, I assume it's because Tom won't start work any earlier than he already does? If that's the issue, maybe now that Paul Konrad starts later in the morning, they could have him do the 11 AM hour, and Tom would start his day in the Noon hour? I bet this won't actually happen, but if I were the ND, I'd do it. I'd want my 11 AM news to have a weather segment sometime before 11:50.

Does WGN still not have weather in the 11 AM hour until the tail end of it, or has that changed lately? If that's still an issue, I assume it's because Tom won't start work any earlier than he already does? If that's the issue, maybe now that Paul Konrad starts later in the morning, they could have him do the 11 AM hour, and Tom would start his day in the Noon hour? I bet this won't actually happen, but if I were the ND, I'd do it. I'd want my 11 AM news to have a weather segment sometime before 11:50.

No.

Yes.

They should.

They won't.

One would think.

Looks like we're now on revision #4 of WGN's 2008 lower thirds. This time, they've made the purple bar under the text area almost completely transparent while leaving everything else the same (as far as I can tell). I first noticed this on the 9pm news last night; no idea if that's when it started or if it started before that.

Looks like we're now on revision #4 of WGN's 2008 lower thirds. This time, they've made the purple bar under the text area almost completely transparent while leaving everything else the same (as far as I can tell). I first noticed this on the 9pm news last night; no idea if that's when it started or if it started before that.

Maybe Thursday...it hasn't been long. It looks terrible, too, seeing as if there's writing from another broadcaster behind it, you have this constant flow of text from the L3 to the ticker. Beside on the promos from the 9am expansion, I kinda think that something is in the works for next week. It looks nothing like anything they have right now (red, gold, orange and white), while all promos in the past have matched the '08 graphics.

Only a few days in and already the 9AM version of the WGN Morning News has gone viral:

http://wgntv.com/2013/09/03/wgn-morning-news-anchors-hang-up-on-oprah/

Looks like a technical glitch resulted in them hanging up in the middle of a phone interview with Oprah. But just like the WGN Morning News team, they handled it well.

Oprah was a good sport as well.

• 1 month later...

I haven't watched for a while until last Friday and today, but WGN has added a weather segment during the first block featuring whatever CLTV meteorologist is working that day. It was Mike Hamernik on Friday, Tim McGill today.

They do a 2-3 minute weather synopsis and conclude using the Morning News-style 3-day forecast graphic, telling the viewers that Tom Skilling/Jim Ramsey will be back later in the hour with the 7-day.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't really seem to see any changes to the set, which, IIRC, turns 9 years old in a few days.

I wouldn't mind a new set soon. This one's finally growing stale on me. It doesn't help that some of the set pieces are starting to look a bit banged up.

Hope someone can answer this about WGN and CLTV during the mornings...

If I understand correctly, CLTV has its own morning news wheel, and broadcasts from the newsroom while WGN does its own thing in the studio. When WGN does some of its gags in the newsroom ie) when a marching band goes through the newsroom, what does CLTV do?

Or is it safe to assume CLTV News isn't live all the time.

Hope someone can answer this about WGN and CLTV during the mornings...

If I understand correctly, CLTV has its own morning news wheel, and broadcasts from the newsroom while WGN does its own thing in the studio. When WGN does some of its gags in the newsroom ie) when a marching band goes through the newsroom, what does CLTV do?

Or is it safe to assume CLTV News isn't live all the time.

Yeah, that's the dirty little secret about CLTV. It's usually 1 hour live, then it's repeated once or twice. That said, the newsroom has kind of been broken in two. CLTV takes up a little nook in the corner, about as far away as possible from the morning shenanigans.

For the first time in eons during one of Tom's vacation, WGN did not have Jim Ramsey fill in for Tom during his vacation; they had Demetrius Ivory do the duties instead. I wonder if this a little bit of experimenting for the future of the WGN weather department.

For the first time in eons during one of Tom's vacation, WGN did not have Jim Ramsey fill in for Tom during his vacation; they had Demetrius Ivory do the duties instead. I wonder if this a little bit of experimenting for the future of the WGN weather department.

From what I heard, Tom's on vacation and Jim is sick. In fact, Demetrius said on Garry Meier's radio show that Tom will be back on Monday. I'm kinda surprised Tim McGill didn't fill in for Tom spot, as he's done before. I will say though, seeing as Tom's still locked in for 9 years, should (when) Jim retire, I could totally see Demetrius shifting into his role.

Archived