WTVX 1983 News Theme

I recently discovered something on YouTube. It is the final minutes of a WTVX 7pm newscast from January 1983. At 4:10 into the video, the last several seconds of WTVX's newscast closing theme is played. You can view it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGTNgRUaKiM.

This leads me to this question: Does the theme sound like the work of either TM Productions, Tuesday Productions, JAM Creative, or another company?

The open that the station was using is also up (it starts at 2:09):

FWIW the 1980/81 material uses a package that I believe to be not Get to Know Us, but TM's "9 Alive News". If you're wondering how that happened, WTVX was a sister station to WTVA in Tupelo, MS (notice the copyright licensee, "WTWV, Inc.", of course referring to WTVA's former call letters; click the link to see WTVA's open from 1981 which is very similar to WTVX's open). Of course, WTVA was branded as "9 Alive". Either way, this theme is not in the NMSA for either station.

It took me a bit of time (basically, after I sent the NMSA the "Get to Know Us" record) to realize that this wasn't quite what I had thought.

In the TM reference reel records this "9 Alive News" package is dated to 1980. That, too, makes sense. (This is also the only reason we know its publisher.)

In the second video, there is a promo jingle at 16:20, "No one does it better, X-34" which sounds to be Dallas singers (like TM, JAM, etc.). Maybe the news music was from the same producer? It certainly feels like something that could have come out of one of the Dallas companies. But which one, I can't tell...

Thanks for asking on JingleMad too - both Jonathan Wolfert (head honcho of JAM) and Tracy Carman (keeper of the TM archives) frequent that board, so maybe one of them would know.

Archived