New NBC 10 Anchor

Daybreak

Umm no. Anchor/Reporter is usually code for weekend anchor. She's probably replacing Aditi Roy who was the weekend morning anchor.

And I'm fairly certain Lori Wilson is Renee's heir apparent.

Umm no. Anchor/Reporter is usually code for weekend anchor. She's probably replacing Aditi Roy who was the weekend morning anchor.

I kind of figured that, I was just speculating. I actually like Renee'. I know of Jacqueline from Orlando and how she was forced out her top position which viewers saw was unfair at the time. Channel 6 did bounce back but she was really an excellent anchor and I am glad she landed in a top 5 market.

In the Orlando Sentinel, it states that she will be an early evening anchor as well as a reporter. I suspect she will replace the co-anchor chair vacated Dawn Timmeney at 4pm and 5:30pm. If not, it is probably weekend mornings but I highly doubt she is replacing Renee.

Given her stature and the "early evening" moniker, I kinda expect she'll be on the 5pm along with Vai (who is pretty much settled in that chair at this point).

Orlando Sentinel has an article about this, and has an interesting quote:

“I’m beyond excited to be in the fourth largest market in the country at the NBC O&O where Comcast is headquartered,” she said.

Gee, that sounded like... like 10 now has prestige. And suspiciously like the flag of the NBC O&O ship isn't planted on top of the soon-to-be-former GE building.

The Sentinel also has a quick article profiling Anzio Williams. He also plugs Comcast and the reporter-heavy format.

“Comcast has been more than supportive to make this television station a powerhouse,” Williams said. “The recruiting of Jacqueline and Daralene reinforces that we’re building a TV station with the right pieces and building it on the real principles of journalism.”

He said discussions of market size are overrated, because the principles of journalism remain the same everywhere. Philadelphia is the nation’s No. 4 TV market; Orlando is No. 19.

One key to Williams’ success is his inspirational style; he could have a second career as a public speaker for journalism.

“I am one of those ones that feels I am blessed to be able to do this,” he said. “I take the fun approach. I am actually thankful they pay me to do this, dude. They pay us to do this? Seriously. I take that approach. I never wanted to be one of those journalists who feels like the business owes me something. I owe it to journalism, to our profession, I believe in journalism. The connection is that Daralene and Jackie are both good journalists. They’re coming from a market that’s had great stories.”

I always like when more established anchors and reporters end up here. I liked Vince DiMentri at first, and Ducis has been a solid addition to the Action News team. We do embrace talent from other cities when they're good. It'll be interesting to see where she ends up when all the dust settles.

• 2 weeks later...

Vai and Tracy anchored the 11pm together last night but mentioned in the closing that Renee was off.

If Vai's the guy at 6&11, then they gotta make John Clark the weeknight sports guy.

I prefer that this new hire be given weekend mornings (or evenings if they bump Nakano to mornings).

Team A should be Renee & a new guy.

Team B should be Tracy & Vai or a new guy.

A should anchor 4,6,&11, with B doing 5&7.

OR

A should anchor 5&11, with B doing 4&6, and if there is a 7 give it to A team.

If Vai is named as the 2nd lead anchor (which I think that's what the management is grooming him for), then John Clark should get the sports director position and weekend sports can come out of the CSN department. As for the new anchor (London), she's good. I got a glimpse of her first newscast last night. I'm not saying that she will be Renee's replacement in the near future, but she has the potential to be a great female lead anchor in this market. I can see her handling the 4PM newscast and being the primary backup to Renee at 6 and 11. I would hope they keep Tracy at 5 and it seems her Consumer Alert duties have shrunk since handling 4 & 5.

Archived