Battery & First News....

ctmajka

Can someone explain to me why 615's "Battery", and Gari's "First News" have so many similar themes? Did both companies go to the same outside composer to help with the packages?

• 3 weeks later...

I've wondered this same question many times. I may be wrong (just a guess) but some of the instrumentation sounds like the orchestral ROM add-on from the Kurzweil K2000/K2500?K2600 series. The orchestral ROM was released in early 1996, the synthesizer itself premiered around 1990 and has been a massive hit ever since. I've heard these same type pads and "swirling string loops" in several 615/Gari packages. Also, SAM appears to have the same synthesizer, but I've rarely heard them use the same patch presets... outside of a couple of times.

Again, all of the above is just a guess on my part, but I strongly believe they have all heavily used the Kurzweil synth at times. I'd be curious to know if that synthesizer is responsble for the 1990's-present Gari "brass & string" sound that is almost like a defining trademark of their overall sound. Good luck with uncovering some answers.

I can say with certainty, since I have the instrument, that some of the companies mentioned above, have also used the Korg Wavestation pretty heavily. Arnold and Gari both come to mind, as both have used it extensively in their packages over the years. The wavestation debuted in 1990.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed similar synth sounds myself within the 3 companies as far as their early-mid 90's packages go, but I mean melody & composition wise specifically between these two packages. A lot of the melodic licks and over-all feeling of the packages are uncanny. I have a feeling they've shared free-lance composers.

I agree. Besides the swirling string pad/loop that is featured in opens for both packages, there are promos and such that have an endings with almost the same musical notes, style and instrumentation. I would assume you have used google and the ascap and bmi sites. I'll check and see if I can uncover a nugget somewhere. If they did NOT share the same composer, one of the companies certainly liked the style and sound close enough to mimic it, maybe a competitive jab, who knows lol.

For what it's worth, Danny Baker was a co-composer on the "First News" package according to the BMI site. He was a co-composer for KPIX's Gari Allegro package, so he could have very well played a part in the 615 KPIX Battery package.

• 4 weeks later...

True. Both packages being released in 1996 has crossed my mind as well. For what it's worth, I'd like to know where that swirling string/brass loop came from since it's featured prominently in the opens of both packages, right down to the layer with the cymbal rise. I would guess a sample CD or the Kurzweil K2000/2500 Orchestral ROM synth add-on. Any idea??

Archived